October 09, 2023
2563 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2764 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

The Gamer is the Celebrity NOT the Designer!

More
29 Jan 2009 16:00 #18884 by ChristopherMD
the*mad*gamer wrote:

But the days of barnes blasting the "Beard and Belly" gamer looks to have vanished

This reminds me, did I miss the Trashies somehow?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2009 16:02 #18885 by DeletedUser
the*mad*gamer wrote:

But the days of Barnes blasting the "Beard and Belly" gamer looks to have vanished

I enjoy blasting the "Beard and Belly" gamer as much as the next guy, but if that was all we did on this site, I would get bored and wander off.

More
29 Jan 2009 16:07 #18886 by DeletedUser
BTW, Frank's Lennon analogy was spot on. Reminded me of Barnes' "Bigger Than Jesus" statement (still makes me laugh).

More
29 Jan 2009 16:09 #18887 by Deleted User 1

I enjoy blasting the "Beard and Belly" gamer as much as the next guy, but if that was all we did on this site, I would get bored and wander off.

I agree. That is is the whole point. Once this site was born someone had to take up the role as the "elitist" to make Ameritrash legitimate. Someone had to take Ameritrash seriously enough to make the genre viable. By taking it so seriously, they became elitists.

More
29 Jan 2009 16:18 #18891 by DeletedUser
Ok.... so elitists are good?

More
29 Jan 2009 16:25 #18892 by TheDukester
Wow ... I'm lost.

Lost from the original post, and now the tangents are losing me, too. What, exactly, is the point of all this?

I'm so lost I could go on the TV show right now. Maybe I could get shot by flaming arrows or something.

More
29 Jan 2009 16:27 #18894 by DeletedUser
TheDukester wrote:

Wow ... I'm lost.

Lost from the original post, and now the tangents are losing me, too. What, exactly, is the point of all this?

I'm so lost I could go on the TV show right now. Maybe I could get shot by flaming arrows or something.

It's simple. Frank is Elvis, Uba is Nancy Sinatra, Barnes is Lennon, Schweig is Iggy Pop, and Steve is Mark Chapman.

More
29 Jan 2009 16:29 #18896 by Deleted User 1
Elitism defined:

consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group.

Who does this apply to? Decide for yourself.

As for me I have never found it necessary to belong to a group to affirm my own beliefs. Sure I post here, but that is because this is the only place I can! HA!

I don't consider myself an elitist under that definition. I do favor playing Ameritrash games over other games but I just don't take it as seriously as others on this site.

More
29 Jan 2009 16:29 #18897 by Mr Skeletor
Weeks reminds me of those guys who clutch their viynl collections insiting that Disco never died.
You're living in the past Weeks. It's time to move on.

More
29 Jan 2009 16:31 #18898 by Deleted User 1

Weeks reminds me of those guys who clutch their viynl collections insiting that Disco never died.
You're living in the past Weeks. It's time to move on.

Well, as a matter of fact, Vinyl does sound better than CD's

More
29 Jan 2009 16:32 #18899 by Octavian
the*mad*gamer wrote:

As for me I have never found it necessary to belong to a group to affirm my own beliefs. Sure I post here, but that is because this is the only place I can! HA!

Not for lack of trying, eh Steve? ;)

More
29 Jan 2009 16:35 #18900 by Deleted User 1

Not for lack of trying, eh Steve? ;)

HA!!! It was good to get in some honest reviews of Geekspeak and the Velvet Smog's Podcast

More
29 Jan 2009 17:07 #18907 by Matt Thrower
PseudoIntellectual wrote:

Mad Dog wrote:

hancock.tom wrote:

Kevin Peterson

Who?

That guy that's getting all the chicks.

I had no idea any of you were into cricket.

More
29 Jan 2009 17:33 #18913 by PseudoIntellectual
the*mad*gamer wrote:

Sorry, but this doesn't make sense.

1) A lot of people feel that singers like Frank Sinatra "interpreting" the material of a writer and claiming most or all of the credit is unfair, and that whatever his skills as a vocalist Sinatra (and others like him) is a lesser artist than many people who write and perform their own songs.

2) Writing a song is difficult. But I suspect designing a game is harder.

3) Whatever you believe about who ought to get the credit for Frank Sinatra's performances, it is indisputable that he had an enormous talent as a singer. To be a good singer is pretty rare - to be an outstanding one is incredibly so. Virtually any bozo can play a game, and being more skilled at playing a game does not equal being any better at "interpreting" it in the manner you describe.

You are off on a tangent Matt. The point is that most people could care less about the songwriter or game designer. Most real gamers don't concern themselves with design philosophy, they are too busy playing games.

Those gamers that do concern themselves with designers and design philosophy are putting themselves in league with elitists. It is in attempt by them to acheive a higher level of status in the hobby. But as I have said before there are no "levels" in this hobby. This hobby is about playing games pure and simple, not collecting, not game design, GAME PLAYING.

It is interesting to me that the designers are so prominately displayed on most Eurogames, perhaps this is the source of putting the designer on the pedestal.

If you are a Country music fan, you will most likely remember the Country artist of the year but not the songwriter of the year. Fair or not that is life, the artist takes the spotlight.

This is the reason there will never be a Designer of the Year, Platinum Pawn Award. I will leave that to Larry Levy and his 3 way ties.

I think what it really comes down to is that a Game Designer is less like a song-writer OR singer than like a movie-director. 9 out of 10 popular movies/games, people recognize the game/movie without recognizing the director/designer, some directors/designers become well-known, others are uncreative and go nowhere slow. Designers/Directors who think of themselves as celebrities tend to tread the road of Lucas and Spielberg(a descent into egotistical madness and betrayal of their fans). And you have people like Jerry Bruckheimer or Uwe Boll who are still in the dricting/design business despite pretty much sucking at everything.

More
29 Jan 2009 17:40 #18915 by DeletedUser
the*mad*gamer wrote:

Elitism defined:

consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group.

Who does this apply to? Decide for yourself.

I think this applies to Southernman and I as we are both Kiwis.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds