October 09, 2023
2559 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2760 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Rockband 2

More
20 Apr 2009 16:07 #26417 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Rockband 2
The best show I ever saw was Danzig, in this tiny little club in Nashville (328 Performance Hall.) Insanely good from beginning to end.

Sorry Barnes, I was trippin' man. I should've known better because you have good taste in music. Well, I'd add Master of Puppets to the "great" list for Metallica, but we can let that slide.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2009 16:20 #26418 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic Re:Rockband 2
Late to the party, but I'll throw my bit in.

I own GHWT (guitar only kit) for the Wii. Last weekend, my buddies enjoyed it so much we out on the dinner break and one bought Rock Band 2 to play on my Wii (and later to migrate back to his house).

After two songs, I said "Gimme my goddamn guitar back". The GHWT Guitar works flawlessly in RB2 (except for the slider bar, which RB2 says "whut" to), and feels much better to me than the RB2 guitar.

I'm of the opinion that GHWT is slightly more difficult than RB2, but not drastically so. RB2 seems to be a better party game, but they both would be fine for that. The drums in RB2 were fine, I haven't had a chance to play the GHWT ones yet. The cymbals would probably add something.

The track lists are 40-50% identical, the RB2 one has more odd punky stuff, and the GHWT has more weird songs, including a few not in English. Tossup there, but the RB2 one is probably more familiar, hence better at parties. The band tour stuff is way more complex in RB2.

I like the instrument view on GHWT a bit better, the notes are just a bit larger and hammer-ons/pull-offs are easier to see.

That's it. Either one is a fine purchase, and on the Wii, the instruments should be compatible now after Sony and Nintendo put their foot down. I can definitely vouch for the GHWT guitar working in RB2. I played it for five hours. Straight. Then my hands fell off.

More
20 Apr 2009 16:36 #26419 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re:Rockband 2
Ken B. wrote:

The best show I ever saw was Danzig, in this tiny little club in Nashville (328 Performance Hall.) Insanely good from beginning to end.

Sorry Barnes, I was trippin' man. I should've known better because you have good taste in music. Well, I'd add Master of Puppets to the "great" list for Metallica, but we can let that slide.

The GH Metallica is pretty good. The additional songs from other artists is what makes it best -- they have Motorhead, so that made my day.

For the record, best concert I went to was Rob Zombie in a small club. Music was standard White Zombie/Rob Zombie stuff, but the concert itself was quite theatrical -- reminiscent of some old school Alice Cooper. GWAR would be a close second...would have loved to see Danzig.

More
20 Apr 2009 17:03 #26420 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Rockband 2
Well, I'd add Master of Puppets to the "great" list for Metallica, but we can let that slide.

Why bother? It's a track-by-track remake of "Ride the Lightning". "Battery" is the only thing it's got going for it.

The last time I saw Danzig, and this was at that Samhain reunion thing, it was _HORRIBLE_, easily one of the worst shows I've ever seen. They barely played anything off the first record, II, or III. "Twist of Cain", "Her Black Wings", obligatory "Mother", and "Dirty Black Summer" but no "Snakes of Christ", "Long Way Back From Hell", "Sistinas" etc. (all would be incredible RB2 numbers, BTW). Everything else was off the then-new record, which sucked. They did "Earth AD", which was kind of cool but the whole time I was thinking about how terrible it all was. It didn't help that the lightshow was all rainbow colored, seeing all those colors projected on the big skull was too, I dunno, Spinal Tap.

It could be that Samhain was just fucking incredible that Danzig seemed like shit in comparison. Seriously, when they came out shirtless and covered in blood it may be one of my top five concert moments of all time. It was so bad ass.

But Danzig back in '92 with Godflesh...that was a great show.

More
20 Apr 2009 17:55 #26422 by OldHippy
Replied by OldHippy on topic Re:Rockband 2
Ken B. wrote:

Well, I'd add Master of Puppets to the "great" list for Metallica, but we can let that slide.

And I'd remove Kill em All... but that's just me. Master and Ride both have superior composition (a fact that I would thank Cliff Burton for), more interesting songwriting and sound less derivative. Metallica did two good albums and then made a video once Cliff was dead... and the albums since Master of Puppets...

Fuck em All

More
20 Apr 2009 19:02 #26425 by Not Sure
Space Ghost wrote:

Ken B. wrote:

The GH Metallica is pretty good. The additional songs from other artists is what makes it best -- they have Motorhead, so that made my day.

Motorhead songs show up in RB2 (Ace of Spades '08) and GHWT (Overkill) as well. Fun to play.

GHWT also has Metallica's "Trapped under Ice" and Ozzy's "Crazy Train" and "Mr. Crowley". Those 4 plus "Scream Aim Fire" makes a set that pretty much ensures I'm jumping off the furniture at some point.

RAWK! \m/ \m/

More
20 Apr 2009 20:38 #26427 by kookoobah
Replied by kookoobah on topic Re:Rockband 2
Interesting stories. I love Metallica though, but not enough to swing my brother's vote if he wants to hit Rockband.

Do all the games work on RB2 though? Would be awesome if they did.

More
20 Apr 2009 21:18 #26429 by Not Sure
Sony and Nintendo have stated "you must make your controllers compatible" on their respective platforms. I believe that's in effect for the current revisions of each game. The only one I can personally vouch for is the new GHWT guitar on Wii Rock Band 2.

(We forgot to try the opposite way.) There are some guides on various pages saying what works with what.

In general, the current stuff should be cross and future compatible, the older stuff not so much.

Once you get enough compatible gear, you can just buy the individual games instead of the bundles.

More
20 Apr 2009 21:49 #26431 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:Rockband 2
I did some poking around.

I've found references to GH:WT instruments working with Rock Band 2 for the Wii.

And a few indications that the reverse is not true.

This would kind of fit the model of the two companies. Harmonix really has gone out of the way to support other instruments and things. (See the freakishly esoteric Stage Kit which is ONLY for the 360, but Harmonix is still coding into every song.) Activision....doesn't play well with others.

Sadly, that means the best way to go is probably to buy the cheaper GHWT instruments.

More
20 Apr 2009 22:18 #26436 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Rockband 2
I have Guitar Hero World Tour on my PS3, it's fun.....I played Rock Band at my cousin's, it's fun. Get whichever floats your boat.

The thing that pisses me off is that if I go out to get Rock Band, I can't use my GH guitar with it, i need to get a new guitar.....Fuck them....

More
21 Apr 2009 03:07 #26446 by Octavian
Replied by Octavian on topic Re:Rockband 2
Another RB2 vote. Especially if you can even imagine wanting to break it out with non-video game types. No Fail Mode means they're sucking isn't going to make you restart a song every two minutes.

And the RB2 guitar is great. The strum bar takes a little getting used to if you are accustomed to the clicky GH guitars, but once you do get used to it I find it more responsive and much much quieter. And the fret buttons are far easier to slide along on the RB2 guitars.

Also...more Nirvana on RB2.

-MMM

More
21 Apr 2009 09:08 #26453 by Columbob
Replied by Columbob on topic Re:Rockband 2
Another thing going for the RB franchise: over 400 downloadable songs, with more available every week. GH have started getting in on that action too (apparently there have been over 40 million song dowloads for RB1/2), but they've got a lot of catching up to do.

More
21 Apr 2009 09:24 #26456 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re:Rockband 2
... I like Frets on Fire.

More
21 Apr 2009 10:15 #26463 by kookoobah
Replied by kookoobah on topic Re:Rockband 2
So it seems that it's best to buy GH:WT and just buy the Rockband games?

More
21 Apr 2009 11:59 #26474 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:Rockband 2
mikoyan wrote:

The thing that pisses me off is that if I go out to get Rock Band, I can't use my GH guitar with it, i need to get a new guitar.....Fuck them....

The PS3 Instrument thing was fixed in Rock Band 2. Both Sony and Microsoft kind of forced the two publishers to support each other's peripherals.

news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10020530-1.html

And the only reason to get Rock Band 1 is to rent or borrow a copy long enough to copy all of the songs to your hard drive so you can play them in Rock Band 2.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds