October 09, 2023
2561 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2761 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

The Hockey Thread

More
09 May 2009 21:20 - 09 May 2009 21:22 #28303 by XIII
Replied by XIII on topic Re:The Hockey Thread
I love the thought of going to larger rinks, but is it feasable to change up the existing rinks? As far as the clutch and grab goes, everytime the league tries to do something about it (calling more penalties in hopes the players will get the message) people piss and moan about it. While I won't defend some of Bettman's changes, remember in the end the OWNERS are the ones that mandated the changes and they are making much more money now then BB. I would think Ottawa and Toronto wouldn't want a 3rd team in Ontario. Wouldn't mind getting the failing teams into new locations, but I'm not sure Hamilton would work. The Devils still have trouble selling out in a beautiful new building, and multiple Stanley Cups later. The Flyer and Ranger fan base is still just that.
Last edit: 09 May 2009 21:22 by XIII.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2009 21:46 #28305 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:The Hockey Thread
jhuntin1 wrote:

Didn't Hamilton have one of the first NHL franchises back in the 1920's?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Tigers

More
10 May 2009 03:32 #28310 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:The Hockey Thread
Damn Pittsburgh. Alex Ovechkin has gotten me excited about hockey again after a long drought in Washington. Re-alignment over the years hasn't been very nice to Washington. Over the years we've been bounced from division to division. In 1970's we were with the NY Islanders. In the 80's and 90's we were with Pittsburgh and Philadelphia and now we're with Carolina and Tampa. Now they're talking about putting the hated Penguins out west. I personally miss the late 80's and early 90's when we played Philadelphia in playoffs every year. Good rivalries are great for any sport.

More
11 May 2009 09:19 #28343 by vandemonium
Replied by vandemonium on topic Re:The Hockey Thread
Juniper wrote:

jhuntin1 wrote:

Juni, what do you think? What is the CBC saying? I haven't surfed over there yet. As the VOICE of Candada (as far as F:AT is concerned) what's up?

More
11 May 2009 10:05 #28349 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:The Hockey Thread
vandemonium wrote:

Juniper wrote:

jhuntin1 wrote:

Juni, what do you think? What is the CBC saying? I haven't surfed over there yet. As the VOICE of Candada (as far as F:AT is concerned) what's up?

The popular consensus around here is that Bettman hates Jim Balsillie and Canada. :-)

The Hamilton Spectator had an interesting piece on Saturday, saying that Bettman would do whatever he could to keep Balsillie from getting a team, so maybe he'd let the Atlanta Thrashers move to Hamilton instead of Balsillie's Coyotes.

More
11 May 2009 10:35 - 11 May 2009 10:44 #28356 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re:The Hockey Thread
vandemonium wrote:

Olympic rinks, glowing pucks, cheerleaders, or sissy white skates *cough*cough*Federov*cough*cough* won't change that.

I would not put Olympic rinks in the same category as glowing pucks or cheerleaders. The wider surface produces fundamental changes to the way the game is played.

A few years back they were toying around with only playing five on each side to open up the ice a bit more. Less players means less salary, less ice means more seats. Financially that was a possible option. Expanding rink size eats seats, not popular.

Sag.
Last edit: 11 May 2009 10:44 by Sagrilarus.

More
11 May 2009 16:32 #28412 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:The Hockey Thread
vandemonium wrote:
Well, the Original six were, Toronto, Montreal, New York Rangers, Boston, Detroit, and Chicago. Hamilton probably did have a team earlier than the O6 I think that was in the 40s or thereabouts.

I'm off to walk the dogs so I don't have time to look it up just now.[/quote]
There was an Original Six before those teams......And there weren't any American teams.

More
11 May 2009 16:45 #28418 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re:The Hockey Thread
Sagrilarus wrote:

vandemonium wrote:

Olympic rinks, glowing pucks, cheerleaders, or sissy white skates *cough*cough*Federov*cough*cough* won't change that.

I would not put Olympic rinks in the same category as glowing pucks or cheerleaders. The wider surface produces fundamental changes to the way the game is played.

A few years back they were toying around with only playing five on each side to open up the ice a bit more. Less players means less salary, less ice means more seats. Financially that was a possible option. Expanding rink size eats seats, not popular.

Didn't they toy with 5-on-5 in OT as well? I think that's still a wise move.

Can someone explain how the Bruins CRUSHED the 'Canes all season long and find themselves struggling in the postseason? It's one thing to have played some tight ones and come out ahead, but they just obliterated them time and again. Now it's a wash. I'm a little peeved.

More
11 May 2009 23:43 #28463 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re:The Hockey Thread
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCANUUUUUUUCKKKKKSSSSSSS!!!!!!

More
12 May 2009 00:36 #28466 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Re:The Hockey Thread
Heard everyone whooping and hollering when I was out walking the dogs, so I assumed they had it well in hand. Guess I was wrong.

More
12 May 2009 04:31 #28470 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic Re:The Hockey Thread
jeb wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

vandemonium wrote:

Can someone explain how the Bruins CRUSHED the 'Canes all season long and find themselves struggling in the postseason? It's one thing to have played some tight ones and come out ahead, but they just obliterated them time and again. Now it's a wash. I'm a little peeved.

Cam Ward for the Canes has gotten hot at the right time. That's hockey playoffs. Meanwhile... The Caps finally win an overtime game over Pittsburgh to force game 7. When Pittsburgh tied the game at 4-4 I was so pissed off I had to pause the game and walk out of the room for half an hour before I could come back to watch the end of the game. But I'm hooked on hockey again after watching the desperation by both teams at the end of regulation and in overtime.

More
12 May 2009 08:55 #28480 by mikoyan
I'm trying to figure out what messed up rule will come up tonight so that Bettman doesn't have the horror of an original 6 match up in the playoffs.

More
12 May 2009 14:49 #28519 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:The Hockey Thread
Dr_Mabuse wrote:

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCANUUUUUUUCKKKKKSSSSSSS!!!!!!

seconded

More
14 May 2009 09:13 #28769 by mikoyan
I'm hoping that the goon squad was enough to fire up the Wings for tonight's game. Way to show some class Anaheim. I hope that Neidermayer's elbow to Datsyuk will prompt a hat trick from Datsyuk tonight. I hope this will be like a game Seven a few years ago where the Avs were done in the first 4 minutes of the game and a certain Goalie was sitting all dejected on the Bench at the end of the 1st Period....

More
15 May 2009 00:40 #28864 by mikoyan
Despite the best efforts of Anaheim's 7~10 players, the Red Wings ended up winning. When did they stop calling elbows to the face anyway? Was that spooge I saw on Pronger's face after the intermissions?

Is this the conversation between the 2nd and 3rd periods:
Selanne: Look, Pronger gave you a blow job.....Make sure we win this one...
Ref: He didn't swallow....
Selanne: That was never a part of the bargain....

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.313 seconds