October 09, 2023
2589 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2785 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Lack of Buzz At GenCon Leaves Visitors Scratching Heads

More
20 Aug 2013 15:13 #159007 by mikecl

Jackwraith wrote: I just can't do co-ops anymore. I'm just completely burned out on them and the only one that has any remaining appeal is Death Angel

I know what you mean, but Pathfinder is a completely atypical coop. It's a roleplaying game with cards. You would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least check it out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2013 15:16 #159008 by eekamouse

mikecl wrote:

Jackwraith wrote: I just can't do co-ops anymore. I'm just completely burned out on them and the only one that has any remaining appeal is Death Angel

I know what you mean, but Pathfinder is a completely atypical coop. It's a roleplaying game with cards. You would be doing yourself a disservice if you didn't at least check it out.

I can't second this motion enough. I actually feel like I'm helping a buddy out in Pathfinder. Like... I'm there picking them up and dusting them off and throwing myself in front of them and vice versa. Not just collectively voting every turn on what everyone needs to be doing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl

More
20 Aug 2013 15:30 #159011 by Gary Sax
Really nice models for the ships, you're right.

More
20 Aug 2013 16:03 #159019 by Michael Barnes
Pathfinder feels very different than other co-ops, don't let that scare you away. It strays from the "draw a card, do a bad thing" kind of model and it also doesn't boil down to controlling a siege or mitigating the effects of spawning monsters. There are no fire drills to plug up a hole in a dam or whatever. There isn't really an opportunity for one player to direct everyone around. Every character has a completely different set of stats, weapons, armor, spells, items, allies, and blessings and those selections develop over the course of a campaign.

The more I play it, the more I just completely love it. It seems almost too simplistic at first, but as it develops it becomes pretty amazing.

If I can get through the first chapter I may go ahead and write it up thursday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl

More
20 Aug 2013 17:53 - 20 Aug 2013 17:55 #159030 by Gary Sax
Please do, I'm interested. Coops are my most played games, as my wife loves them.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2013 17:55 by Gary Sax.

More
20 Aug 2013 19:03 #159037 by Mr. Bistro
Those of us in the Plaid Hat Booth were good and truly stuck there this year (that's a good thing), but Pathfinder, High Command, and Firefly seemed like solid hits. Pathfinder deserves it. The game plays wonderfully, and it does so in ways that are so mechanically simple, you have to wonder why it hasn't been done before. And I've been impressed with how they made the scenarios feel distinctive.

More
20 Aug 2013 19:41 #159043 by eekamouse

Mr. Bistro wrote: Those of us in the Plaid Hat Booth were good and truly stuck there this year (that's a good thing), but Pathfinder, High Command, and Firefly seemed like solid hits. Pathfinder deserves it. The game plays wonderfully, and it does so in ways that are so mechanically simple, you have to wonder why it hasn't been done before. And I've been impressed with how they made the scenarios feel distinctive.

High Command is horrifying. I made the unfortunate decision to stand in line for about 30 minutes and bought both sets. The game has several major issues. I advise to stay far far away from it.

More
20 Aug 2013 19:44 #159044 by Michael Barnes
Ah, but it's Warmachine, and those fans will buy ANYTHING.

I'm glad to hear Pathfinder did well...I think it could be a major product line.

Glad to hear Plaid Hat did well too, y'all have come along way from those first Summoner Wars starters!

More
20 Aug 2013 20:01 #159046 by engelstein

eekamouse wrote:

Mr. Bistro wrote: Those of us in the Plaid Hat Booth were good and truly stuck there this year (that's a good thing), but Pathfinder, High Command, and Firefly seemed like solid hits. Pathfinder deserves it. The game plays wonderfully, and it does so in ways that are so mechanically simple, you have to wonder why it hasn't been done before. And I've been impressed with how they made the scenarios feel distinctive.

High Command is horrifying. I made the unfortunate decision to stand in line for about 30 minutes and bought both sets. The game has several major issues. I advise to stay far far away from it.

I tried High Command last night (3 player) and I also have concerns. The immediate issue is that there are many special abilities that are way ambiguous, so it's hard to even tell if we were playing it as intended.

But the game just didn't feel right - the promise seemed to be that there would be large groups of cards battling over the locations and we just didn't see that. It was really hard to get large sets of cards out, and they die pretty quickly. So there wasn't much synergy between different units.

I may try it again 2 player - I think that might be better. But I'm keeping my Hordes version in shrink in case I need to dump it.

More
20 Aug 2013 20:14 #159047 by Ska_baron
All these new games you've all played or gotten impressions of... WHERE'S THE REVIEWS Y'ALL? He said in an entitled and selfish manner.

More
21 Aug 2013 02:49 #159061 by MattFantastic
I didn't play a single game. You guys are nerds.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, flim_flam

More
21 Aug 2013 07:26 #159063 by billyz

MattLoter wrote: I didn't play a single game. You guys are nerds.

This is what happens when one is the recipient of the never ending attention of ridiculously hot con and non con babes who tell you how hot you look in a dress.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, Brewmiester

More
21 Aug 2013 11:35 #159066 by Schweig!

cdennett wrote: Saw Mr. Avery once on Thursday demoing his KS game, but didn't run into him again.

I hope you shouted "sellout" at him.

More
21 Aug 2013 13:14 #159070 by SuperflyPete
Yeah, I saw precisely 2 F:ATties at GenCon this year, through a hundred-plus interviews, and 1 was the guy who drove in with me. I saw Matt at a hotel room with John Clowdus and this guy from MEeplePeople...some sort of Podcast that I never heard of but "has 8000 subscribers" and I was like, "Hey Matt!" and stuck my hand out - I was greeted by a warm handshake and a look of "I have no fucking idea who you are".

It was hilarious

More
21 Aug 2013 13:19 #159071 by SuperflyPete

Sagrilarus wrote: I had close-up photos of the Sails of Glory models appear in my email. They were really nice, much nicer than the mock-ups they've been showing for the last two years.

If these are legit reps of the final product there are going to be some very happy prepub buyers, even at the salty prices.

S.

Attachment IMG_2072.JPG not found

Attachment IMG_2074.JPG not found

Attachments:

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds