October 09, 2023
2538 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BEVERAGE are you drinking?

More
09 Apr 2014 21:12 #175524 by Sevej
Plain water?

There's a whole bunch of steward/ess in KL Hilton who remember me for the guy who wants "plain water, not cold".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2014 21:46 #175527 by Not Sure
Had a No-Li (Spokane) Red and a Hendricks and tonic after work tonight. Tasty stuff.

From the fridge the recent favorite has been the Bridgeport "1" crystal dry hopped. I like those a lot, but they're a specialty so probably not long for this world.

Just on the outside of Pacific NW here, so it's all crazy hop land, beerwise.

More
09 Apr 2014 21:48 #175528 by ubarose
I just read the instructions for that cold toddy coffee thing. Nits to that. The mythos phase of Arkham Horror is simpler.

More
09 Apr 2014 21:52 - 09 Apr 2014 22:16 #175529 by Sagrilarus
My scotch has gone to $225 a bottle (the same stuff I paid $40 for in '99) so it ain't gettin' bought no more. But! I've stumbled across a bottle of Winchester bourbon for about $40. Mild to the point of danger, especially when I'm accustomed to a peppery speyside scotch.

The 10-year version of my scotch is still around $40, so that's likely going to be the compromise long term. Not as bold, but it still has that same flavor.

S.
Last edit: 09 Apr 2014 22:16 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
09 Apr 2014 22:00 #175530 by ChristopherMD

ubarose wrote: I just read the instructions for that cold toddy coffee thing. Nits to that. The mythos phase of Arkham Horror is simpler.

Put coffee and water in bucket.
Let sit overnight.
Drain out of bucket into pitcher.

That's it. You get a concentrate you can refrigerate for 2-3 weeks.

Technically you can do the whole thing with just a pitcher or bowl and something to filter it through. The toddy package just gives you the bowl, filter, and pitcher. The bowl/bucket has a hole in the bottom that you pull the cork out of when you drain into the pitcher.

More
09 Apr 2014 22:14 #175532 by ubarose

Mad Dog wrote:

ubarose wrote: I just read the instructions for that cold toddy coffee thing. Nits to that. The mythos phase of Arkham Horror is simpler.

Put coffee and water in bucket.
Let sit overnight.
Drain out of bucket into pitcher.

That's it. You get a concentrate you can refrigerate for 2-3 weeks.

Technically you can do the whole thing with just a pitcher or bowl and something to filter it through. The toddy package just gives you the bowl, filter, and pitcher. The bowl/bucket has a hole in the bottom that you pull the cork out of when you drain into the pitcher.

I like your instructions better. The web site says:

Insert the stopper into the outside bottom of the brewing container; then, dampen the filter and insert it into the inside bottom of the brewing container.

Next, add 1 cup of water into the bottom of the Toddy brewing container and 6 ounces of ground coffee.

Slowly pour 3 more cups of water over the grounds, in a circular motion.

Then, add the remaining 6 ounces of ground coffee.

Finally, wait 5 minutes and slowly add the last 3 cups of water. DO NOT STIR (stirring the bed of grounds can result in a clogged filter).

Lightly press down on the topmost grounds with the back of a spoon to ensure all grounds get wet.

Steep your coffee grounds for 12 to 18 hours to create a smooth, rich flavor.

Remove the stopper and let your coffee concentrate flow into the glass decanter - stays fresh for up to 2 weeks in your refrigerator.

Serve - We recommend starting with a ratio of 1 part coffee concentrate to 2-3 parts water, milk or soy. Mix to taste, making your coffee as strong or as weak as you prefer. For rich, smooth iced coffee, simply pour coffee concentrate and water, milk or soy over ice. Combine coffee concentrate with steaming hot water for a bolder, gentler cup of hot coffee.

More
09 Apr 2014 22:27 #175535 by ChristopherMD
Damn! I recall reading those now. Pretty funny how complicated they make it.

More
09 Apr 2014 22:30 #175536 by Hatchling
I'm with you on Dieu Du Ciel, jonjacob. Yum!

I've been on a chai tea kick these days. I seem to be having a couple of those a day recently. Before that it was ginger and lemongrass green tea.

More
10 Apr 2014 05:23 #175541 by wice

JonJacob wrote: There isn't much I won't drink, alcoholic or not. Lately though I've really been enjoying these incredibly overpriced beers from the Quebec brewery Dieu Du Ciel! I've only tried two of their beers but I already know that I want to drink more of this one in particular called "Rosée d'hibiscus". It's incredible!

But at 18.00$ a four pack I won't be drinking too many of them. In case you're wondering in Canada a six pack is normally about 10 bucks... so they are way over priced. Still, as a once in awhile to keep in the fridge... fucking perfect!

I would rather have a fantastic beer for $5 than a shitty one for $1.5. Yeah, in the latter case you pay much less, but, in the end, you drink shitty beer. You have to pay me to drink shitty beer. (Granted, I only drink alcohol once or twice a month, so I guess it's easier for me to be so picky.)

More
10 Apr 2014 07:08 #175542 by repoman
I had a Vanilla Milk Shake from Shady Glen (as seen on Food Network's Best Thing I Ever Ate show: Cheeseburger episode).

It is all the goodness in the world distilled down into a glass.

And no, Eggshen, it's not what a Rhode Islander would call a milkshake which is a horrible flavored milk atrocity. It's a real milkshake with ice cream.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
10 Apr 2014 08:10 #175544 by Gary Sax

wice wrote:

JonJacob wrote: There isn't much I won't drink, alcoholic or not. Lately though I've really been enjoying these incredibly overpriced beers from the Quebec brewery Dieu Du Ciel! I've only tried two of their beers but I already know that I want to drink more of this one in particular called "Rosée d'hibiscus". It's incredible!

But at 18.00$ a four pack I won't be drinking too many of them. In case you're wondering in Canada a six pack is normally about 10 bucks... so they are way over priced. Still, as a once in awhile to keep in the fridge... fucking perfect!

I would rather have a fantastic beer for $5 than a shitty one for $1.5. Yeah, in the latter case you pay much less, but, in the end, you drink shitty beer. You have to pay me to drink shitty beer. (Granted, I only drink alcohol once or twice a month, so I guess it's easier for me to be so picky.)

I still think there's a place for a good session beer. If there's one thing I think the craft beer revolution has gotten wrong, it's by overfocusing on incredibly high gravity, knock you on your ass kind of beers that you can only really have one of. I love that those exist, don't get me wrong, but there's a niche to be filled of something you would have 3-4 of during an evening both alcohol content and flavorwise that is not MGD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus, wadenels

More
10 Apr 2014 10:08 #175546 by Egg Shen

repoman wrote: I had a Vanilla Milk Shake from Shady Glen (as seen on Food Network's Best Thing I Ever Ate show: Cheeseburger episode).

It is all the goodness in the world distilled down into a glass.

And no, Eggshen, it's not what a Rhode Islander would call a milkshake which is a horrible flavored milk atrocity. It's a real milkshake with ice cream.

I've been to Shady Glen and I do know that their milkshakes beat the pants off anything found in Rhody. That place is amazing...I have feverish dreams of their tantalizing burgers and thick, sumptuous, milkshakes (insert Homer Simpson-esque drooling noise here).

More
10 Apr 2014 10:16 #175548 by Egg Shen

Michael Barnes wrote: Pretty much a nightly G&T using Jack Rudy tonic, which is just stupendous.

What kind of Gin have you been drinking?

More
10 Apr 2014 10:19 #175550 by ThirstyMan
Non alcoholic Heineken poured into a big bucket, add sugar and yeast and re brew the alcohol back into the fucker!!

Most amusing at the supermarket, man with 48 cans of non alcoholic Heineken, a huge bin, 10kg of sugar and three tubs of yeast with 24 Grolsh type grape juice bottles. Wonder what he might be doing over the weekend.

On a totally unrelated thread hijack note, how much Diclofenac should I take after a root canal? It fucking hurts like a motherfucker. Is that shit safe? Can I take a shitload every 4 hours?

More
10 Apr 2014 10:38 #175552 by JoelCFC25
Latest beverage I've really enjoyed is Ommegang Brewery's Gnomegang Blonde Ale:

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.477 seconds