October 09, 2023
2525 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2728 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOOK(s) are you reading? ARCHIVE

More
24 Sep 2010 16:13 #74941 by ubarose
I decided to start with Water for Elephants which was given to me by Francie, aka the CIrcus Train (the game) fan. She told me I had to lend it back to her when I was done, and since she's coming over tonight for dinner and train games, I figured I'd better get it read. Fortunately it's an easy read and a bit of a page turner. I had thought it was going to non-fiction. Silly me. It's a historical romance kind of thing. It's a fun book and weaves in a bunch of circus history, which was cool. I recognized some of the incidents in the story from some of the circus history that I do know. But it really made me want to pick up a non-fiction book on the subject.

Now I'm starting The White People and other stories, which is a collection of Arthur Machen weird tales. I have a few hours to spend traveling by car tomorrow, and short stories are easier to read with all the distractions of a road trip.
The topic has been locked.
More
26 Sep 2010 01:29 #75005 by mikoyan
I just finished Day of Battle by Rick Atkinson (he's a writer for the Washington Post) it is about the Battles of Siciliy and the march of the Allies to Rome. It is a pretty good book. It's a sequel to his other book called "An Army at Dawn" where he talked about the North African campaigns. Supposedly he has a book in the works about Normandy and beyond.

Next on my list is a book about Siberian Tiger, it's revenge and the conservation officer that has to hunt him.
More
27 Sep 2010 16:34 #75168 by jeb
I am starting NICKLE AND DIMED, a journalist tries to make it on shitty jobs. It reads like a HARPERS article, so I should devour this. Speaking of HARPERS they had a piece this month on trying to survive in Cuba using the ration system. Not easy.

I finished TIME, LOVE, AND MEMORY, which was OK. The author really likes quoting poets when talking biology though--that got tiresome.
More
27 Sep 2010 16:51 #75174 by MattFantastic
Barbara Enrenreich (totally spelled wrong) writes a compelling tale. But shes kind of a dick too. Way more so if you read other things shes done. Still interesting stuff that's pretty enjoyable to read.

I also really dug the one she did after Nickle and Dimed about the world of corporate middle management and unemployment. Don't remember the title off hand though.

I'm still trying to find the time to read The Peace War. It's an old Vernor Vinge book and I'm trying to go back and read his earlier stuff since A Deepness in the Sky and A Fire Upon the Deep are easily two of the best books ever.
More
27 Sep 2010 17:00 #75176 by Ska_baron
Pride & Prejudice & Zombies.

Reinforces my prior belief that this book would've really sucked without zombie attacks.
More
30 Sep 2010 19:18 #75572 by Sagrilarus
I'm twenty pages into Walden and the SoB has me ready to quit my job already.

S.
More
30 Sep 2010 19:41 #75573 by beuks33
Sagrilarus wrote:

I'm twenty pages into Walden and the SoB has me ready to quit my job already.

S.

It's funny you should mention Walden. I'm reading a book called "Super Sad True Love Story". It's set in the near future and shows the inevitable end result of this info overload sped up ridiculous lifestyle that us American's love so much.

Highlights include:

Fancy wireless gew-gaws that people have live 24/7 videoblogs on. These devices also project your Fuckablility and Credit Ratings to anyone in the area(of course the two scores have a direct correlation).

The Dollar is fading and the only the only currency worth anything is Chinese yuan-pegged dollars.

The American government is one party: The Bipartisan Party.

Your life is tied into your GlobalTeens account. (Read: Myspace, Facebook, and of course EVERYONE uses it, not just the teens set.)

As I read the first two chapters of this I thought of two things:

1: This story is frighteningly plausible.
2: My god, if Thoreau could see us now.
More
01 Oct 2010 00:53 #75594 by jur
I tried reading Walden when I was 16 or so, and found it boring as hell. This robbed me of any back-to-nature utopian desires for the rest of my life. Somehow, people forget that if humanity had stuck to self supporting communes we'd never have had anything like book printing.

I you think that human existence is now hedonistic emptiness, try to get a feeling for aristocratic life in Imperial Rome or Ancien Regime France. Nothing new under the sun. Except that we have democraticised hedonism and bad taste. Which is a good thing. I can't wait for the wild uncivilised muslims taking over the planet from our degenerate, effeminate, spineless modern society so we can corrupt them (again).
More
01 Oct 2010 01:07 #75595 by Amontillado
Recently finished "The Last Kingdom," the first book in in Bernard Cornwell's Saxon cycle. Also finished "Ship of the Line", the 2nd book chronologically in the Hornblower series by C.S. Forester. Just started "Sharpe's Triumph", the 2nd book chronologically in the Sharpe series (also by Cornwell).
More
01 Oct 2010 08:44 #75598 by Ska_baron
Finishing Pride and Prejudice and Zombies left me glad that I never read the original. My wife thought I'd have enjoyed it more if I'd done that, but I'm pretty sure not even zombies would make it enticing enough after reading it once.
More
01 Oct 2010 08:49 #75599 by lj1983
I listened to (I listen to books on cd/tape when driving to and from work) Sword Song, which is I dunno, 2 or 3? in that saxon cycle. I picked it up simply because the library has a wierd selection of audio books,and I like cornwell's Sharpe books. I liked it, it made me want to go play Britannia again.

Actually reading thomas Asbridge's "The Crusades: The Authoritative History of the War for the Holy Land " in preparation for Kingdom of Heaven from MMP.

going on a roadtrip today from wyoming to the outer banks in NC, so I have 7 audiobooks of various types sitting in the truck right now.
More
01 Oct 2010 09:41 #75605 by Sagrilarus
In prep for Kingdom of Heaven I listened to The Crusades through Arab Eyes by Maalouf which was quite good and The Era of the Crusades from The Teaching Company which is an 18 hour lecture series.

Maalouf was the better of the two and brought some interesting insight into the fractured nature of the Muslim side of the conflicts. That was stuff I hadn't heard before, certainly not in detail. The TTC lectures were incredibly thorough focusing on the economic aspects as much as the military and I don't regret the time, but they covered so much ground that I almost felt like I was listening to Eurasian History rather than Crusades. If that's not your thing it may not be for you. The early lectures on the state of Byzantium prior to the first crusade were simply excellent.

S.
More
04 Oct 2010 14:06 #75862 by Shellhead
Just finished Vanilla Ride by Joe R. Lansdale yesterday. It's the latest installment in the adventures of Hap Collins & Leonard Pine. If AmeriTrash was a literary genre, this book would fit right in. Hap is a straight white redneck from East Texas. Leonard is a gay black redneck from East Texas. They are old Army buddies with some serious skill in martial arts and dirty brawling. When they encounter bad people (often drug dealers), they make fun of them and kick their asses. If I were to cast them in a movie, I think that Bruce Willis and Damon Wayans would be perfect. Well, Bruce might be a couple years too old, but otherwise yeah.

My favorite line from the book, from Leonard, talking about his ex-boyfriend who is trying to become straight:

"If you're ashamed of being gay, then I'm ashamed of you. Queer up, I say."
More
21 Oct 2010 00:55 #77166 by metalface13
Taking a break from The Count of Monte Cristo for my annual reading of A Night in the Lonesome October.

For future reads, I'm looking at Iain M. Banks' Culture series. Any opinions on those? Or Banks in general? I've never read any of his stuff.
More
21 Oct 2010 13:53 - 21 Oct 2010 13:53 #77204 by OldHippy
Currently I'm quicky re-reading Conversations with Professor Y, by Louis Ferdinand Celine (I say his whole name so no one mistakes him with the singer). It's a really cool book where he describes the where, why, and how of his particular writing style. Which is essentially all elipses and exclamation marks. No periods ever. I love this book and it has the cool feature of putting the original french on one page and the translated english on other. My French is just good enough that I get some use out of this.

More on the F:AT side though I'm just about to start this new Sc-Fi book I picked up on a whim... which I rarely do. It's called the Sheriff of Yrnameer and it's by Michael Rubens.

Anyone read this yet? I'm curious what opinions may be.

The story seems to be that he's some space rogue/smuggler running away from some big corporation to find his own planet. Or something like that. It's being compared with Douglas Adams (who I love) and Terry Pratchett (Who I don't love) so that may or may not be promising.
Last edit: 21 Oct 2010 13:53 by OldHippy.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds