October 09, 2023
2559 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2759 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
31 May 2017 00:11 #249270 by Vlad

Black Barney wrote: I rewatched Moonlight over the weekend for a 2nd time, really really strong still.

How many times will you force yourself to watch this movie until you admit it is insufferably boring? I bet that deep in your heart you actually know it is unwatchable...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2017 00:27 #249272 by Black Barney
I watched it super late too. My sister texted through the first act and slept through the next two but I still was riveted the second time. I love it

More
31 May 2017 00:31 - 01 Jun 2017 09:24 #249273 by Cranberries
Watched Guardians II in IMAX with the family. My wife was pissed about the sex bot planet and swears. Head 6 / heart 8

As I think about this show two days later, if I hadn't seen the first movie I'd probably put it into Howard the Duck territory. Also, the blue guy was trafficking kids and gets a pass. Weird. The combination of baby groot, an obvious Happy Meal placement, and the swears is also strange. It's like they couldn't make up their minds about what movie it was.
Last edit: 01 Jun 2017 09:24 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
02 Jun 2017 01:54 - 02 Jun 2017 11:33 #249344 by Grudunza
WW. A lot to like, and yeah, it's much better than the other recent DC dreck. Still not an outright win for me, though, but it should do well, and deservedly so for being a solid superhero flick with some heart.

Chris Pine kind of steals it from the lead, though. Gal Gadot is sweet and hot and has good energy and does a fine job in the role, but it kind of needed Pine to give it both some levity and some weight. That probably sounds sexist in a film celebrating a powerful woman, but I mean that in terms of acting chops and also the way the characters are written.

The whole intro section seemed a bit labored, but then it starts to pick up when Pine arrives and gets quite good for a while there, but never reaches amazing.

The big bad is played by someone who I think is great in terms of acting, but there was still kind of a laughable aspect to that for me. Can't explain that better without giving it away.

One minor niggle is that they had set up her theme song riff in the BvS film and in the trailers, and I really liked it, but they only did variations of it in this movie. I did like the music and scoring in general, though.

I'd put it on a level with the middle-upper-ish Marvel films. Good and entertaining, but also kind of just another big summer superhero movie.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2017 11:33 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
02 Jun 2017 07:59 - 02 Jun 2017 08:10 #249346 by stormseeker75
I'm an idiot, please ignore this daft question which he answered in the original post.
Last edit: 02 Jun 2017 08:10 by stormseeker75.

More
02 Jun 2017 16:55 #249378 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Wonder Woman, well I thought it was decent probably not up there with the top superhero films but definitely decent and in the middle rung. My wife hated it (she thought the start on Themirica was great but once they left it went downhill) and my kids loved it.

However I don't think you can underestimate how important this film is. I spent a lot of time watching my 10 year old daughter during the film, and for her it was magical and the best superhero film ever made. I forget how often I gravitate to films because they have a mathematician in it, and you tend to forget how few good female role models there are on the screen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Grudunza, Cranberries, Black Barney, JEM

More
02 Jun 2017 16:57 #249379 by Black Barney

More
02 Jun 2017 17:43 #249381 by Grudunza

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: My wife hated it (she thought the start on Themirica was great but once they left it went downhill).

Opposite of me. Interesting. That whole intro just seemed very forced, or staid. It all livened up and lightened up after that. The animated-ish section talking about the gods was cool, though.

More
04 Jun 2017 07:19 #249401 by repoman
Handsome: A Netflix Mystery Movie

Wow, did I love this movie.

To be fair, it felt more like an extended TV show or one of those "Mystery Movies" the networks used to put on at 9pm on Friday night so parents could watch some TV after putting the kids to bed. I don't mean that in any disparaging way. After it was over I wished there were 50 more episodes to watch.

I'm a fan of fun dialog and quirky characters. The main character, Gene Handsome played by Jeff Garlin, is a perfect straight man to the slightly off kilter world around him. And he is so ultra likeable. The mystery isn't much of a mystery any more than any episode of Columbo was a mystery. The fun is seeing how the schlub detective solves the crime.

I highly recommend it.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
06 Jun 2017 16:40 #249518 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I watched The Witches of Eastwick last night. It was interesting as it has the same "show, don't tell" that we love so much in Fury Road. I know I struggled a lot with that when I saw this film in my teens, as there is no real explanation of how they get their powers, how and why they cast spells. Also because of this I somehow missed the husband killing his wife with the fire poker, because you only see it in shadow from a distance.

The other weird thing about this film is that I suffer from facial blindness a bit (famously not recognizing friends when they change hairstyle), and this is the only film I am aware of that causes me problems in that I often struggle to see Susan Sarandon as the same person when she transforms from librarian to babe. I know the first time or two I watched this that I kept wondering who the strange woman was who suddenly appeared in some scenes, and even now, if I didn't know better I would still struggle with it.

More
06 Jun 2017 19:25 - 06 Jun 2017 19:49 #249521 by Erik Twice
I saw The Prince of Egypt for the first time since I was a kid and I liked it. It's not perfect by any means but it's good and its flaws (Stiff designs, ocassional Route to El Dorado-like humour) don't get in the way of a well-paced movie that may very well be one of the best movie adaptations of the Moses mythos. The songs are fantastic and catchy (Deliver us!), there's no filler and the backgrounds are amazing. I particularly enjoy the humanist focus on the siblings and how Moses is portrayed as being remorseful and guilt-ridden over being chosen to fight in the name of God.

It's actually a very...non-religious telling of the story. God here is not the centerpiece, nor the underlying principle, it's the inevitable force that propels the plot. It causes everything yet it's not really the point of the movie.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2017 19:49 by Erik Twice.

More
06 Jun 2017 19:49 #249522 by Egg Shen
So I um, stumbled upon some cinematic gold the other day on Netflix. I've never really dove into the deep end of Bollywood films, but after watching Makkhi the other night I might have to reconsider! Holy goddamn shit was this movie entertaining. Let me whet you're whistle with its plot:

Two guys love the same girl. One guy KILLS the other. Not wanting to go out like a punk ass bitch, dead guy comes back to life as a MOTHER FUCKING HOUSE FLY. The rest of the movie plays out like a revenge film. There is occasionally singing and dancing. And a tiny house fly that is trying to murder a grown ass man.

I talk about it a bit more over at the Wolfman's Lounge.

If you're a lover of truly insane and ridiculous cinema this should be on your radar. Don't be afraid of subtitles, you'll be missing out on a movie that Black Barney wants to give a 5 heart and 5 brain rating to.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
07 Jun 2017 01:44 #249529 by Cranberries
My wife wanted to see Wonder Woman and afterwards said it was the best superhero movie in the history of cinema. I liked it. We went to $5.00 day at the Imax theater. I don't think it was a great movie, and Gal Gadot has good screen presence, but it just felt kind of thin and derivative. I don't regret watching it.

The more I think about Guardians of the Galaxy II, the more I think it was pretty mediocre. We love the characters so much that the movie gets a pass.

More
07 Jun 2017 04:59 #249531 by Thrun

Egg Shen wrote: Two guys love the same girl. One guy KILLS the other. Not wanting to go out like a punk ass bitch, dead guy comes back to life as a MOTHER FUCKING HOUSE FLY. The rest of the movie plays out like a revenge film. There is occasionally singing and dancing. And a tiny house fly that is trying to murder a grown ass man.

SOLD!

cranberries wrote: My wife wanted to see Wonder Woman and afterwards said it was the best superhero movie in the history of cinema. I liked it. We went to $5.00 day at the Imax theater. I don't think it was a great movie, and Gal Gadot has good screen presence, but it just felt kind of thin and derivative. I don't regret watching it.

Linda Carter >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gal Gadot. :)

More
07 Jun 2017 08:03 #249532 by hotseatgames

Egg Shen wrote: Two guys love the same girl. One guy KILLS the other. Not wanting to go out like a punk ass bitch, dead guy comes back to life as a MOTHER FUCKING HOUSE FLY. The rest of the movie plays out like a revenge film. There is occasionally singing and dancing. And a tiny house fly that is trying to murder a grown ass man.

Hindus believe that when it comes to reincarnation, the lowest of the low come back as bugs. So apparently the afterlife doesn't think kindly of this guy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.076 seconds