October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2737 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BAND(s) are you seeing? ARCHIVE

More
20 Apr 2010 15:51 #60392 by ufe
Replied by ufe on topic Re:What BANDS are you seeing?
Municipal Waste is gonna fuck you up! Municipal Waste is gonna fuck you up!...

Sorry didn't read the rest of the thread. Just saw them mentioned in the OP and had to represent for some hometown boys.
The topic has been locked.
More
20 Apr 2010 16:54 #60406 by mjl1783
Coheed & Cambria a couple of weeks later

I hate you so much. I tried to get tickets for Neverender with no luck, so when they were playing Syracuse, I was all ready and rarin' to go, then the show sold out like 5 minutes after they went on sale.

But whatever, their new album sucks anyway, and I'm sure they'll be playing a bunch of crap off of it.

I actually went to a Rush show once in the late 1980s. I wanted to see the openers- Voivod. I stayed for like five minutes of Rush and left. Too much "deedledeedledoodle" for me.

And Voivod isn't all deedledeedledeedle-y?
More
20 Apr 2010 17:03 #60407 by Michael Barnes
Have you heard "Dimension Hatross" or "Killing Technology"? They're like a scifi cross between Discharge and Killing Joke. Not much deedledeedee at all. Later on they got into all that, mostly after the core trio split up (Piggy, Blacky, and Snake). But still nothing like fucking "Tom Sawyer", 30 minutes of wankery.
More
20 Apr 2010 18:19 #60431 by MattFantastic
I get to be a name drop nerd now, wooooooo

I booked My Chemical Romance's first NY show. They had van trouble, showed up way late and I thought they sucked and were going nowhere. I only booked them because I was friends with Geoff who produced the record. It's pretty clear why my record label never made much money putting out bands I thought were awesome.

I also booked Coheed and Cambria on a show I was playing at a teen center in CT. We paid them $50 and they were stoked. I haven't really listened to them since their first record when they were still the soundtrack to Claudio's comic book or whatever.

I don't go to shows much anymore for mostly the same reasons as Jay.

I wish I was getting down to NYC for the Specials though.

I think the last show I went to was Bane and I had a great time, but felt a bit too old to still be stage diving and crushing kids two stepping.
More
20 Apr 2010 18:29 #60433 by jay718
Voivod's one of my faves; only seen them twice though. You're gonna hate me for this Barnes, but I was actually at the infamous Fall gig at Brownies in '98. Went to the makeup gig at Knitting Factory as well.

Wanna talk about being too old for stagediving? Saw Bad Brains a few years back on a booze cruise around Manhattan. Started out kinda wack; HR was scatting 'sailin on skibbity be bop bo' just awful, followed by an unispired 45 minute reggae interlude. Me and my boys went to the aft to smoke. They ripped into 'banned in DC' and I got so pumped I dove from the top deck of the boat about 12 feet down into the crowd. Not one of my brightest moves, but I didn't pay for a drink for the rest of the night. Lucky I didn't break something.
More
20 Apr 2010 18:37 #60434 by Michael Barnes
Oh man, I saw Bad Brains in a warehouse circa 1991 and it was just fucking INSANE. No security. It was how a hardcore show ought to be. Kids all over the stage, HR's out in the crowd, stagediving all over the place...wow, what an amazing show.

But I saw them again around 1995 and it was terrible. HR was doing his nutcase thing, so he performed the entire show OFF STAGE because he was handcuffed to this girl. I'm not joking.

I used to do the whole pit thing. The best one ever was Pigface in 1992. Ogre got in a fucking inflatable raft and rode out on that thing. Biggest one ever was Ministry/Sepultura/Body Count in 1992- it was in a big warehouse venue and there were TWO pits, one up front and one in the back. It was actually kind of scary. Most violent ever was either The Adicts(!) or GBH. The one I got the most hurt at was Mudhoney, which is lame and embarassing. The last time I did all that stuff was Slayer circa 2002 or 2003. They kicked into "Angel of Death" and I just couldn't help myself.

Do kids even still slamdance anymore? I feel old.
More
20 Apr 2010 19:05 #60441 by jay718
Agnostic Front at CBGB was always pretty fucking violent. Or anywhere for that matter. They just did an all original member 25 year anniversary of Victim in Pain show here a few weeks back, but I had to work. Carnivore was always pretty bananas as well. (R.I.P. Pete Steele. Guru too.) Only saw their reunion shows though. I only do the pit bit these days if I'm very drunk and very inspired. Usually wind up paying for it in spades too. I was out of commission for days after a Negative Approach reunion a year or two back.
More
20 Apr 2010 19:17 #60447 by mjl1783
I went to see Three Dog Night a few months ago. The show was to raise money for disabled people. You should've seen the pit at that one.
More
20 Apr 2010 21:17 #60467 by MattFantastic
HR needs to stop ruining my positive vibes for the Bad Brains. Saw them a while back, he sucked and I vowed to never see that shit again since it just bummed me out. Also the homophobia thing is a mega bummer.

Any older dude NYHC show at CBs was always a crazy time. Most of those old dudes are out of their minds in a major way. I have some fond memories of being like 15 and seeing dudes getting just destroyed at early Madball shows and being simultaneously terrified and exhilarated. Dudes moshing with bricks in their backpacks and shit. Same vibe at goony CT shows in the mid 90s, dudes all shooting guns in the air and putting people through windshields of parked cars in front. I dunno what the fuck was wrong with all of us that we were just so nonchalant about it all at the time. Like I remember someone getting stabbed (I think it was Mike Ski maybe?) at CBs and everyone just kinda being like, oh how bout that, and then right back to the show.
More
20 Apr 2010 22:18 #60476 by Pat II
Funny what you say about Mastadon Michael - I used to literally "bump" into the Voivod crew all the time many years ago. Partied with Snake and "Cochon" (RIP) more times than I could count.
More
21 Apr 2010 00:42 - 21 Apr 2010 01:33 #60489 by Dogmatix
I got knocked down and out by Ogre at a Skinny Puppy show, Halloween night in milwaukee. Ogre's "costume" to open the Too Dark Park tour shows was essentially 800 miles of gauze and this fake blood. We make our way to the rail in the middle of the first song when I discovered that Ogre's "blood" was actually something closer to wet cement. He was flinging it off of himself left and right, and a baseball-sized clump of the shit hit me directly above my right eye at high velocity. Dropped me like I was shot right back into the pit. Fortunately two "PCBs" [Pale Chicks in Black] saw me drop and hauled me back to a mostly vertical position before I got stomped too badly. One even retrieved my glasses [for which I will always be grateful], but it was 4 songs before I regained any semblance of sense.

Ultimately I learned to avoid the pit thanks to heaps of fucking Nazis at every *core show (and others) in Milwaukee and Chicago. Dunno 'bout the rest of the world but the fucking laces and braces crowd showed up at every show no matter what it was and turned 'em all into a titanic clusterfuck: DRI, Social D, Naked Raygun/Pegboy, Tar, the entire Wax Trax stable, whatever. [Social D was acutally the worst.] It just wasn't worth the rolling furball of a fight that it inevitably became.

And then there were the Milwaukee Metalfests. Alot of the same nazis, alot of same problems. Fortunately, I had a great connection at RoadRunner Records at the time, so I was one of the few that could score all-access passes that would allow you OUT of the building now and again (no pass-outs for an 8-hour metal show is possibly one of the most horrifyingly bad ideas ever). Nothing more brutal (or fucking ripe) than a few thousand wasted grindcore fanatics who have been locked in a building for a full half-day. Favorite memory from that was being backstage and watching Glen Benton from Deicide holding up the lard-ass scumbag of a promoter (Jack Koshick if any of you remember the Milwaukee scene from the 80s and early 90s: www.hellonearth.net/jackkoshickhallofshame.htm ) by his throat, his feet a good 4 inches off the ground, shaking him and screaming "YOU WILL FUCKING PAY US NOW."

But over the course of a 8 or 9 metalfests and similar shows around milwaukee, the roster of bands I managed to catch was, as I look back on it, something (particularly since none of them would ever come back to the city a 2nd time since Jack undoubtedly didn't pay them the first time): Death, Deicide [and just about every other fucking death metal band out of Florida], Napalm Death, Godflesh [a heap of times actually], GWAR [ridiculous fun, though I pretty much had to burn those clothes afterwards], Entombed, Nocturnus, Morbid Angel, Bolt Thrower, King Diamond, Voivod, etc.

But shouldn't all this nostalgic shit from Barnes' post forward be moved to the "Bands you used to see but haven't seen in years because you either grew up or your wife won't let you anymore" thread?
Last edit: 21 Apr 2010 01:33 by Dogmatix.
More
21 Apr 2010 03:53 #60506 by jur
Replied by jur on topic Re:What BANDS are you seeing?
Went to see Lost Prophets last Friday which was not even an Emo band (as advertised), but a pop band with some punk rock influences (singalong!). We should have been worried when the average age was about 18 (there were a few driving parents in the room).

This Monday I'm going to Midlake, as un-Texan as Cafe Latte. Great band. New album doesn't reach the high points of Trials of Van Occupanther, but could do very well in live setting.
More
21 Apr 2010 04:09 #60507 by scissors
Last two bands I saw were Depeche Mode and Rammstein.
More
21 Apr 2010 05:20 - 21 Apr 2010 05:24 #60513 by Matt Thrower
Dogmatix wrote:

Matt: Did anyone among the Old Folkies wonder why the poster image was of Marillion's Fish circa Script for a Jester's Tear? I'm pretty sure that's exactly the makeup scheme he wore back then.

Heh, I doubt many old folkies would be familiar enough with the work of Fish and Marillion to spot any similarity :) Jim Moray seems to love tweaking the noses of the real trad crowd (of which I'm certainly not a member) in any way he can. So it's not just the music, he deliberately seems to do lots of glam-rock-art promo shots that are millions of miles away from the standard bloke + beard + guitar that seems to constitute the majority of folk album art.

Hex Sinister wrote:

The Wedding Present tomorrow. They're playing all the songs off Bizzarro to celebrate it's anniversary. One of my very favorite albums.

Some friends of mine went to see The Wedding Present years ago and came back with the second best tour t-shirt I've ever seen. It read, in big letters:

Always nice to see a band that don't take themselves too seriously.

The best tour shirt I've never seen was from Billy Bragg:

Apparently the Russian on the back translates to "Surf's Up!"
Last edit: 21 Apr 2010 05:24 by Matt Thrower.
More
21 Apr 2010 09:56 #60538 by jay718
Wow, those CT shows sound awful. It really sucked how much that era of hardcore embraced that whole tough guy schtick. So stupid and sad. That was one of the big contributing factors of me leaving that scene. That and all the kung fu dance moves. Dogmatix I'd love to hear the story of how a guy with your musical chops became a deadhead! Never made it out to metalfest, but I always wanted to go. Sounds like a mixed bag though from your description. Sucks about the nazis. They were never too prevelant around the northeast corridor, but there is a crew of young Polish boneheads hanging around my neighborhood these days. Can't imagine they'd have the balls to show their faces at a gig though.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds