October 09, 2023
2525 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2727 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MUSIC are you listening to?

More
17 Apr 2018 10:22 #267675 by charlest
It's all about Son House.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Unicron

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2018 13:24 - 17 Apr 2018 13:32 #267684 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: Diplomacy is like Blues music. It’s very important, influential, and you kind of feel like you’re supposed to love and respect it.

But it totally fucking sucks.

Apparently you lack the soul to understand it. Allow me to elaborate:

Also, to my Colleague from The Great State of Maryland on his insidious attacks upon Natalie Cole, Amy Winehouse, Miles Davis, and John Coltrane....

Rachael Price is the epitome of style, grace, and existential beauty in a time of coarseness and ugliness.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2018 13:32 by SuperflyPete.

More
17 Apr 2018 13:39 - 17 Apr 2018 14:00 #267687 by SuperflyPete
In addition, I would posit that one who cannot appreciate either jazz or blues probably suffers from the inability to produce orgasms in their partner due to an inherent lack of empathy and understanding of sensuality.

Back on topic: Played Star Bases. People seem to enjoy it. I, however, am not one of them. Fiddly tableau builder that spends too much time making you rearrange shit to optimize an engine that I find it hard to give a shit about. Art is bordering between interesting and amateur. Gameplay is quick but I can see this being the Kevorkian Helium Hood for AP prone players.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2018 14:00 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Shellhead, Black Barney, Jackwraith, Motorik

More
17 Apr 2018 13:51 #267689 by Black Barney
Back off topic: Who's knocking Amy Winehouse?!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

More
17 Apr 2018 14:01 #267690 by SuperflyPete

More
17 Apr 2018 14:12 #267693 by lj1983
So, my fall back into X-Wing continues.

Q1 store tournament this past weekend, I missed several due to my work schedule, then I stopped playing, so its been years literally since I've done any Organized Play.

I had Rey in the Falcon, and Jan Ors in her HWK-290 flying wingman. Expertise Rey + Jan Ors + Finn Crew means that at times Rey is throwing 6 dice with built in re-rolls and focus, which is terrifying. No defense...so Rey dies fast (for a falcon) and Jan Ors is really squishy, but it's tons of fun.

First game was alittle annoying. Played against a "Timewalk" Asajj and Captain Nym pair. I lost, and that's ok. I could have won if I had played better. I melted Nym in 1 round, which was awesome. Jan Ors then died, and I stayed tucked in close to asajj. Asajj kept stressing Rey, and I just could not do enough damage to overcome the evade shenanigans Asajj kept doing. I should have moved away, and used my superior mobility to stay at Range 3, and maybe get a couple shots where the Lancer could not return fire. But oh well.

Next game was against a Vader/Interceptor/Defender list. and he made the mistake of running his interceptor directly at Rey. Who melted the thing in 1 round. Jan Ors died...again, but at least helped take down the defender. then it was Rey vs Vader. Vader stayed out of Rey's firing arc, which reduces her attacks significantly...but an Ace ship without autothrusters has a hard time winning the damage race against a Falcon.

Then against a YV-666, Latts Razzi, a couple khiraxz fighters and a Scyk with a flechette cannon. Latts had the crew that allows you to take Target locks with green maneuvers, then take and hold two target locks. And then she could spend those locks to reduce agility of the target. We set up to run right at each other, and Rey did some damage to the Scyk, but not enough to kill it. and that was it, all those attacks just burned through Rey's hull and shield. The flechette would shut down the Jan Ors extra die or Expertise...either of which was killer. He had Boba Fett on the YV-666, who eventually boards the Falcon and kicked Kanan Jarrus out the airlock. (Kanan basically makes all your white moves green...stress killed me this game).

4th and last game was against a guy who I had loaned a bunch of stuff too so he could play. Triple X - Poe Dameron, Ello Asty and Tarn Mison. Tarn is a tanky little bugger when equipped with the right Astromech droid. He makes someone attacking him re-roll dice, who then cannot roll them again. Poe was "intensity" Poe. So barrel roll with BB-8, focus, Boost, Evade, rinse repeat. Ello Asty died in the first pass, he didn't expect to be in range of the Falcon on turn 1. (4 forward + Large base boost covers a ton of ground) Jan Ors died quickly, and Poe stuck around forever, with evade+autothrusters keeping him alive round after round. I managed to kill him with a well timed S-Loop with 5 minutes left on the clock.

So 2-2, which wasn't bad. and the two losses were decently close games. I really enjoyed the falcon...I usually don't play with big ships, preferring small based agile arc dodgers. so having a fast, in your face, ship with boost was a lot of fun. Also Rey encourages firing arc focused play, so maneuvers are still important. Jan Ors was a disappointment, other than the first round or two of firing. I had tried Pulsed Ray Shield, which allows you to take an Ion to regen a shield. but she kept dying too fast. Maybe Crewbacca instead for the extra 2 hp.

Now, I don't mind playing with new players at all. but when someone comes in and acts like they know how to play and plops down a fairly strong netlist....I at least expect you to know your own cards. The Asajj player was constantly missing things and trying to do things that are not allowed. Re-rolling the wrong dice with lone-wolf, firing missles at the wrong range, tactician out of arc, what happens when you land on an asteroid. and a couple other missed triggers, that I reminded and let him go back and do. That was fine I guess, but then later games when I was at other tables he kept doing things that weren't allowed. and when a question came up in one of my last games, I answered it one way, and he had told this player that it went another way, which was wrong. Turns out this was pretty common with him in other games. it did not ruin the day, but it was frustrating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, SuperflyPete

More
17 Apr 2018 14:15 #267694 by wkover
I've made multiple efforts to try and enjoy blues and jazz. It never worked - not even close. But I certainly appreciate the musicianship and emotion, if only from afar and in a highly abstract way.

And I thought the movie Whiplash was pretty incredible. You know, for a jazz movie. :P

Back on games: A buddy can't wait to play as Wonder Woman, so we're playing DC Confrontations on Wed. Better as a team game, but as a 2p game it'll do.

Speaking of bondage, y'all should check this movie out. Much better than the recent DC offering, which mostly seemed to be about a woman who grew overly attached to the gentleman who borrowed her virginity.

Other game stuff: More 7th Continent tonight. Can't wait.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
17 Apr 2018 14:29 #267695 by SuperflyPete
Go see a blues concert live or see a legitimate jazz show live.

It’s a wholly different animal
The following user(s) said Thank You: Motorik

More
17 Apr 2018 14:58 #267697 by Black Barney
look, i saw Whiplash and La La Land so I'm pretty much a jazz expert at this point
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, boothwah, SuperflyPete

More
17 Apr 2018 17:20 #267702 by Unicron

charlest wrote: It's all about Son House.

I want to thank this 30 fucking times. I put Son House and Howlin' Wolf on opposite ends of the record shelf. They need their space.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Frohike, Nodens

More
17 Apr 2018 17:45 #267703 by SuperflyPete

Unicron wrote:

charlest wrote: It's all about Son House.

I want to thank this 30 fucking times. I put Son House and Howlin' Wolf on opposite ends of the record shelf. They need their space.

You can't beat an old brother who came from a time when he was hated paired with a slide and resonator guitar if you want to feel some real, old school, legit Delta blues. Fun fact: I'm restoring an old Stella that is reported to have once been played by Robert Johnson, although I find that impossible to believe.

More
17 Apr 2018 18:26 #267706 by Shellhead

SuperflyTNT wrote: Go see a blues concert live or see a legitimate jazz show live.

It’s a wholly different animal

My introduction to blues music came at age 21, when my friends and I started exploring the Indianapolis bar scene. There was a former Long John Silver's that had been converted into a blues bar with a nautical theme, and they had a house band called the Headhunters that played on weekend nights. The drummer was my former partner from third year Spanish class in high school, but the lead guitar player was an elderly black guy named Lefty Bates. He always introduced himself to the crowd by explaining that they didn't have left-handed guitars way back when, so he learned to play guitar left-handed and upside-down.

Huh. Just discovered that Lefty has a wikipedia page:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lefty_Bates

More
17 Apr 2018 20:28 #267707 by Michael Barnes
Can we please stop talking about this Bleedin’ Gums Murphy crap.

NP: Prong “Beg to Differ”, Sacred Reich “Surf Nicaragua”, DRI “Four of a Kind”, Hirax “Raging Violence.

More
17 Apr 2018 20:57 - 17 Apr 2018 21:05 #267708 by Sagrilarus
I don’t really hate jazz. I just enjoy poking people who like it. They’re so touchy.

Played more Wings for the Baron. Kick-ass euro. A long term favorite and I can’t get away from it because everyone I show it to wants to play again.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2018 21:05 by Sagrilarus.

More
17 Apr 2018 21:03 #267709 by Not Sure

Michael Barnes wrote: Can we please stop talking about this Bleedin’ Gums Murphy crap.

NP: Prong “Beg to Differ”, Sacred Reich “Surf Nicaragua”, DRI “Four of a Kind”, Hirax “Raging Violence.

You brought it up, fool. Just say "maybe I was wrong" and back away slowly.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds