October 09, 2023
2530 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2729 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
23 Aug 2017 11:08 #252955 by hotseatgames
He can't stand Janice, so of course he's not going to pay for a plane ticket, and even if he did, she's such a grifter that she would sell it and get a bus ticket.

As for the bus / city thing... good point but it would not be good television to have us watch him explain to Janice that she needs to change buses, etc. Much simpler to say Seattle and be done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2017 11:20 #252957 by Joebot

Black Barney wrote:
hey do you think that Dany and Jon will ride their own dragons to Winterfell and that will single-handedly convince the North that Jon is ok?

I definitely think that by next week, we will see Jon "ride the dragon." Wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know-what-I mean.

And of course what I mean is: "Jon is going to have sex with his own aunt."

More
23 Aug 2017 11:54 #252964 by Black Barney
Hotseat, if Janice had simply got on a Greyhound bus, I think we'd assume she was heading home to Seattle especially when in the very next scene Tony tells Carm that Janice is headed back to Seattle. I think putting the city name on the bus was a dumb mistake, but like I said, in 26 episodes this was the first time I've noticed anything like this. So yay for good editing/writing/whatever catches that kind of thing.

lol, Joe. There are so many predictions I could make for the season finale but I have no conviction behind any of them so I won't even bother. That amazing article that Greg linked said that the show better grow up regarding the Arya/Sansa stuff in the finale or we're going to have a very frustrating off-season.

i guess it's safe to say Cersei will lay a massive trap, and that Jaime will have no idea?

More
24 Aug 2017 13:04 #253066 by Varys
The entire GoT season was leaked back in October, and it's been correct so far.

Spoilers in case you're curious:

www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/57w3y...j6qp5law&sh=6e0af4ff

More
24 Aug 2017 21:25 - 24 Aug 2017 21:26 #253102 by Black Barney
Hey, so I'm into season 3 of Sopranos and I noticed something interesting with HBO. Before each episode of an HBO show (GoT, Sopranos, etc) there are warnings alerting you to certain type of content that may be offensive to some viewers. I forget all the acronyms and abbreviations but it's something like:

GV - Graphic Violence
SC - Sexual Content
N - Nudity
AL - Adult Language
(this one can't be right)

but in the Employee of the Month episode of season 3 of The Sopranos, there was a new one:

RA - Rape (I think I have the abbreviation wrong).

Now I knew that Dr. Melfi gets raped and it's awful and stuff, but I find this nuts that there is a specific warning about it before a show. Shouldn't it just be Sexual Content or Graphic Violence? Or make a new one and call it Sexual Violence or something? Cuz in telling you that there is something as specific as "rape", that sort of gives away a major plot line perhaps in some shows no? What if Alien 3 had a RA - Rape warning before it. Ellen Ripley is the only female character in the entire movie so that sort of tells you she's going to get raped at one point in the movie, no?

I just found it weird something that specific was called out, and that it is so out of character with the other warnings that I found myself thinking about it for the first 2 minutes of the show, "...i wonder who's going to get raped? My goodness.... "

What if the Purple Wedding episode of Game of Thrones had the following warning ahead of it:

RG - Regicide

...that would sort of blow the punch, no?

this rant's inspiration is brought to you by Stolichnaya Raspberry Vodka. Stoli's...it gets you thinkin'
Last edit: 24 Aug 2017 21:26 by Black Barney.

More
24 Aug 2017 22:02 #253103 by Sagrilarus
Just saw the finale of Broadchurch. Pretty intense ending.

Then an episode of Broad City. Very different shows in spite of the similarity in names.

More
24 Aug 2017 22:05 #253104 by hotseatgames
Barney- for some people, having a show deal with rape is just too much, due to personal tragedy or any other reason, and they want no part of it. So it's a warning to them that they should change the channel.

More
24 Aug 2017 22:20 #253105 by Colorcrayons

Black Barney wrote: this rant's inspiration is brought to you by Stolichnaya Raspberry Vodka. Stoli's...it gets you thinkin'

Stolis- drink your books.

More
24 Aug 2017 22:45 #253106 by SebastianBludd

Black Barney wrote: I just found it weird something that specific was called out, and that it is so out of character with the other warnings that I found myself thinking about it for the first 2 minutes of the show, "...i wonder who's going to get raped? My goodness.... "

I don't know if HBO routinely has rape warnings, but it's not a new practice for them. Back in the early 80's, if you were a subscriber to HBO you got a booklet in the mail every month that had all of that month's showings. Several of the movies would have a short synopsis with the warnings tacked on to the end: mild violence, profanity, etc. One of the advisories was, indeed, "rape". I remember that one in particular because I somehow knew that it was a sexual word but being only 7-8 at the time I assumed it referred to an unusually explicit sex scene.

Your post got me thinking and I found this page that has scans from several channel guides. None of the synopses had the rape warning, however, and I was beginning to think I remembered it wrong...until I got to the description for Death Wish 2, and there it was. It's about 4/5 of the way down the page.

More
24 Aug 2017 23:07 #253108 by hotseatgames
Ah Death Wish... the premier of Jeff Goldblum, declaring how he "kills rich cunts."

The remake with Bruce Willis looks like a travesty.

More
25 Aug 2017 11:41 #253130 by Gregarius
Do they still offer the Rape warning if it's only attempted rape? Or does that get downgraded to Violence?

More
27 Aug 2017 08:17 - 27 Aug 2017 08:17 #253200 by Black Barney
Did Sansa's wedding night episode get the Rape warning on HBO? I assume it did.

oh, and I finally got to see the CGI episode that they did of Sopranos after the actress who plays Olivia died. I had heard it was bad but had no idea it was THAT bad. Why did they even bother with the CGI? Her head was floating on the body, it was nuts.

And yeah, the Pine Barrens episode really is the best one ever (the one with Paulie and Chris lost in the woods overnight). I couldn't stop laughing.

i head home tomorrow but I got through the first three seasons and am just starting season four. I'll finish next year. I bet the season 3 finale was a shocker when it actually happened. Everyone i bet expected Ralphie to get killed but it ends up being Jackie Jr. Especially that they hint that he's going to get a pass.

Game of Thrones season finale tonight! Can't wait.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2017 08:17 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
28 Aug 2017 10:04 #253223 by Joebot

Black Barney wrote: Game of Thrones season finale tonight! Can't wait.

My spoilery thoughts below ...

Warning: Spoiler!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius

More
28 Aug 2017 20:32 #253268 by Black Barney
Good post Joe, I'll hopefully share thoughts tomorrow, I have lots to say. Highs where I did not expect them , lows where I did not expect them.

I'm giving up on Sopranos for a year after binge watching 4.5 seasons almost. Over 15 days or so. It's true that it feels like season 4 falls off after 3. Janice coming back seems weak and convenient. I really don't understand Silvios motivation to ok the heist on the Tiles truck of the Esplanade job. He knows Tony said no to this stuff. Is it because Paulie is leaking gossip to Sack that we need to feel that all of Tony's captains are coming apart because of Christopher's temporary bump? It bugs me cuz Silvio always seemed the most loyal and even tempered so I don't get this move at all , it's way too risky. Plus the Carmela stuff with Furio is too soon after the priest stuff.

Anyway I'll finish it next year

Can't wait to dish on Game of Thrones. That finale threw me all over the place

More
29 Aug 2017 09:30 #253293 by Disgustipater

Black Barney wrote: That finale threw me all over the place

Everything was so...expected.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.529 seconds