October 09, 2023
2614 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2810 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Insidious

More
03 May 2011 20:16 #95661 by Black Barney
Insidious was created by Black Barney
My wife is out of town for nearly 3 weeks with our daughter so I thought I'd treat myself to first movie I've seen all year. Nothing was really interesting me and I didn't have much time but INSIDIOUS was playing and I remember a few people here (including me) were scared to death of the trailer alone. So I thought I might garner some street cred by showing how brave I am and went to see it.

First of all, I didn't think it though because half-way through the movie I remembered that I'll be sleeping in an empty house for the next three weeks with no other human targets in the house except for me. Luckily I have my two big dogs but after seeing the movie, i don't think the dogs will protect me.

It was super super scary and the first few acts are really quite something. Building up great terror and lots of old school (read: no gore or blood) scares and surprises. The last sequence really detracts from the overall thing as it attempts to be a cross between SILENT HILL and ALAN WAKE. Kinda lame but the rest of the ride is so good that I gotta give it a passing grade for scaring the crap out of me in good form.

Rating: a very low 7

oh and for this week's FAIL OF THE WEEK in movie news. TOTAL RECALL is being remade with Colin Farrell. WHAT THE HELL!?!?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2011 20:41 #95662 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re: Insidious
I always wished Total Recall had better effects so on that front I say awesome!

But I cant imagine it without Arnold.
"Come on, Cohaagen! You got what you want. Give those people air! "

More
03 May 2011 21:12 #95663 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re: Insidious
I love old school supernatural horror films, full of scares and suspense. I don't much care for gore - I generally find it offputting. Sadly though my partner has, over the years, gone from enjoying horror films of all kinds to finding them too creepy so I never get to see any. I'd like to catch Insidious, either of the Paranormal Activity films or some of the better recent J-Horror but I've missed them all, and there's little chance I'll get to see them in the near future.

I thought the Blair Witch Project was fantastic. It disturbed my partner so much that I think that's when her relationship with horror started to go downhill.

Body horror pushes the envelope too far for me. That's just too disturbing. I will never, ever, *ever* watch The Human Centipede.

More
03 May 2011 21:44 #95666 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Re: Insidious
Human Centipede is a huge disappointment. The terror works much better when you just imagine what the movie is about. The execution is really poor.

I also got really scared from Blair Witch. I had to see Insidious while my wife is away cuz she has sworn off of horror since we saw MIRRORS together. The combination of the insane gore of the bathtub sequence coupled with the over-the-top suspense was just too much.

ska, you wish that Total Recall had better effects?! Man, i think it's the only year is Oscar's history when they didn,t even bother nominating anyone else for Best Special Effects.

More
04 May 2011 07:02 #95683 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re: Insidious
Black Barney wrote:
" ska, you wish that Total Recall had better effects?! Man, i think it's the only year is Oscar's history when they didn,t even bother nominating anyone else for Best Special Effects."
That must have been one hell of a bad year then. Total Recall had fuck all to do with the story it's supposedly based on. The film was laughable and one of the lamest I've ever seen. And since remakes are usually worse than the original, it looks like it'll plumb new depths.

More
04 May 2011 08:25 #95684 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re: Insidious

Notahandle wrote: Black Barney wrote:
" ska, you wish that Total Recall had better effects?! Man, i think it's the only year is Oscar's history when they didn,t even bother nominating anyone else for Best Special Effects."
That must have been one hell of a bad year then. Total Recall had fuck all to do with the story it's supposedly based on. The film was laughable and one of the lamest I've ever seen. And since remakes are usually worse than the original, it looks like it'll plumb new depths.

WHHHHHHAATTTTTTTTTTT?!?!
Recall is a 10 out of fucking 10. Blade Runner has fuck all to do with the story it's supposedly based on as well, who cares.
Lamest you have seen? Jesus, I guess your a fan of 'quality' Sci-Fi like ID4?

Special effects were awesome for the time as well (It was pre-CGI remember.) Actually I from memory Recall may have been the first film that cost over $100 million to make.

"I've got 5 kids to feed!"

More
04 May 2011 11:13 #95686 by wice
Replied by wice on topic Re: Insidious

Mr Skeletor wrote:

Notahandle wrote: That must have been one hell of a bad year then. Total Recall had fuck all to do with the story it's supposedly based on. The film was laughable and one of the lamest I've ever seen. And since remakes are usually worse than the original, it looks like it'll plumb new depths.

WHHHHHHAATTTTTTTTTTT?!?!
Recall is a 10 out of fucking 10. Blade Runner has fuck all to do with the story it's supposedly based on as well, who cares.

Yeah, almost none of the films based on PKD novels or short stories resemble the originals too much. And none of the good ones. Which is not surprising: PKD had many original and awesome ideas, but he was also a junkie and a bit crazy. His novels usually start with a great setup, but around halfway they turn into a mess of religious and psychedelic visions and never recover from this. And his short stories, while generally much more focused and better executed, are, well, too short for a whole movie.

More
04 May 2011 11:32 - 04 May 2011 11:33 #95688 by Black Barney
I couldn't agree with Skelly more. Recall was great. Blade Runner is frickin' garbage. lol @ quality sci-fi like ID4. Awesome.

Recall is a fun ride from start to finish with a genuine WTF ending that had people talkin' a-la-Inception. I'll take it.

CONSIDER DAT A DIVORCE.

And how about ahead of its time? The xray scanner in the airport? Look familiar? Too bad Quaid didn't refuse and get the pat-down.

GET READY FOR A SURRRRRPRISE!
Last edit: 04 May 2011 11:33 by Black Barney.

More
04 May 2011 15:59 #95709 by Black Barney
back on topic, I think the movie may have been more affecting than I thought. I had lots and LOTS of trouble falling asleep last night. At one point before going to bed, I put the dogs outside and then went into the basement to go on the PC. I'll be honest, I RAN back up the stairs on the way up, lol.

More
04 May 2011 16:17 #95717 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Re: Insidious
Black Barney, making stormseeker75 feel like much less of a pussy since 05/04/2011. :)

More
04 May 2011 18:25 #95736 by Black Barney
oh yeah, tough guy? YOU go see that movie then. It's spooky.

More
04 May 2011 19:39 #95748 by stormseeker75
Replied by stormseeker75 on topic Re: Insidious
HELL no! The commercial made me crap myself silly. I can't deal with stuff like that.

More
04 May 2011 21:35 #95758 by Black Barney
I guarantee it'll be a more pleasurable experience (and more masculine) than going to a Lady Gaga concert.

This scary movie has even carried itself over to today. I let the dogs out, went down into my basement to turn on the PC and again felt scared out of my mind as I came back up the stairs. Man, I hope this goes away soon. It's daylight even! I shouldn't be scared. It's cuz of the dumb movie had a super scary sequence during daylight when you assume everything is gonna be ok. GAH

More
05 May 2011 00:00 #95770 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re: Insidious
Wigged out during a horror movie? Sounds like one of our yard people. He came in to use the bathroom once, saw the gorgeous pair of skulls with mummified flesh, grave mold, and a dried maggot infestation on them, and we never heard from him again.

And why the hate for Blade Runner? The story still bears the 50's era clunkiness, and it has so many rough spots. But the production and set design is STILL the landmark for S/F. I cannot name another movie with such a believable futuristic city. Enough that Tokyo and Hong Kong seem to be using the movie as design guidelines.

More
05 May 2011 03:38 #95778 by Black Barney
Blade Runner was too heavy-duty sci-fi for me. Puts me right to sleep everytime. I find it to be a beautiful movie and that's it. I hate the story and the music.

Remarkable film nonetheless. I also can't bring myself to like 2001, Solaris, or other slow sci-fi movies.

I loved Moon tho, and not much happens in that movie.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds