October 09, 2023
2552 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2751 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× A place to talk about stuff that doesn't belong anywhere else.

Tough read re: being a woman in the games industry

More
22 Jun 2018 10:37 #276017 by san il defanso
There have been some programs to teach consent and appropriate sexual practices in Kenya, taught to both genders. Evidently they have had some positive impact as well. I would gladly welcome such a thing in the US educational system, particularly as the father of two sons.

You can read about those programs here.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2018 12:13 #276029 by SuperflyPete
Octavian is in an impossible, unenviable position. He has to keep the peace and follow the rules, all while serving his company’s interests and being forced to suppress his own anger at the whole situation.

Gamers can be truly disgusting people at times. Myself included, obviously. I don’t know why it is but the 5% of total cunts who do things like this Sierens dude make the entire
community tainted.

As to my punching a Dick in the face position, corporal punishment has always been an effective corrector and preventative measure. Like they say: Train you sons to be gentlemen and train your daughters to accept nothing less.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
22 Jun 2018 12:59 #276033 by rafcordero

SuperflyTNT wrote: He has to keep the peace and follow the rules, all while serving his company’s interests

I'd be curious to see where his personal thoughts on modding lie. We traded a few comments on reddit once, but I'd be interested in exploring. I modded reddit for a while (talk about something bad for your mental health), and it's a shit 'job' and you deal with shit people. I did take the stance that anything that exists in the community exists because the mods allow it; if there's repeated issues of sexism then the mods either need to own that their policies allow it or change their moderating behavior. Because of that I've looked at BGG with frustration, but I wonder if some of the mod framework comes from 'corporate' rather than his own philosophy.

I agree with you, it's an almost impossible situation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Cranberries

More
22 Jun 2018 13:23 #276035 by ubarose

rafcordero wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: He has to keep the peace and follow the rules, all while serving his company’s interests

I'd be curious to see where his personal thoughts on modding lie. We traded a few comments on reddit once, but I'd be interested in exploring. I modded reddit for a while (talk about something bad for your mental health), and it's a shit 'job' and you deal with shit people. I did take the stance that anything that exists in the community exists because the mods allow it; if there's repeated issues of sexism then the mods either need to own that their policies allow it or change their moderating behavior. Because of that I've looked at BGG with frustration, but I wonder if some of the mod framework comes from 'corporate' rather than his own philosophy.

I agree with you, it's an almost impossible situation.

Matt compartmentalizes. It's a job. He mods by the rules, and tries NOT to allow himself any discretionary privilege, because that way lies madness.

However this really sounds like him speaking in his own voice:

Asking someone to touch your genitals is NOT a crass pick-up line - it is harassment. Anyone suggesting otherwise is endorsing and/or normalizing harassment and will be moderated.

Putting the burden on victims to be able to prove harassment prior to reporting it results in silencing victims. Anyone demanding proof before listening to victims is endorsing and/or normalizing the silencing of victims and will be moderated.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
22 Jun 2018 18:27 #276044 by ChristopherMD
Just a reminder that even though we're mostly self-policing that posts insulting/harassing/demeaning anyone for their gender, color, or sexuality are not tolerated here.

Now I'm inclined to add stuff like the "where's the evidence" or "just a joke" posts about sexual harassment in gaming that I've read elsewhere. Those posts aren't a call for fairness or justice, they're a call for victim-blaming or victim-silencing. The evidence is the countless women telling you this shit happens to them all the time and telling you that it hurts them. Their united voices hold more weight with me than some dudes whining about possible witch-hunts ever will.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Matt Thrower, Shellhead, jeb, Not Sure, Frohike, Colorcrayons, ufe20

More
More
23 Jun 2018 01:30 #276062 by Gary Sax
That post is good but also a little all over the place since it's being updated constantly. Online is complicated since things update so fast.

More
23 Jun 2018 09:05 #276072 by Legomancer
It's infuriating to me to know that there are several discussions going on about this on BGG and I'm not seeing any of them in my main view. Unless you already know the situation and know where to dig, you'd never know that a discussion is taking place. It's an important discussion to be having, but it's out of sight.

I don't think this is by design; BGG is notoriously hard to navigate even for normal things. But it does contribute to BGG's reputation for not wanting to rock the industrial boat and do anything that might stop people from buying and "collecting". Any time a discussion like this does come up in the general, public-facing forums, it's almost immediately shut down by assholes who either get it locked and make it drop off the front page or who send it to RSP to die. The moderation system, even if well-intended, has been gamed (unsurprisingly), but I don't think there's a managerial interest in doing anything about it.

As I've said multiple times, we can't address these issues unless we discuss them, and we need to discuss them fully and frankly, and not off in some corner. I don't know enough about how BGG is set up, but despite some moderators with good intentions, there is no evidence of a corporate will to take these discussions seriously.

As a result, you get the people who are all, "well I've never heard about these things!" and it's because they haven't, because the discussion is pushed out of their eyes. It makes an already difficult discussion even more difficult.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, jeb, Gary Sax, Not Sure, Frohike, Colorcrayons, GorillaGrody

More
23 Jun 2018 10:20 - 23 Jun 2018 14:18 #276076 by GorillaGrody
Here, Here, Legomancer!

Legomancer wrote:
As a result, you get the people who are all, "well I've never heard about these things!" and it's because they haven't, because the discussion is pushed out of their eyes. It makes an already difficult discussion even more difficult.

I mean, the thing is, he has heard about those things. It's just that BGG is one of the few places left where a 60-year-old with a "Rommel in Africa" microbadge will immediately back him up: "it's okay, buddy, I've never heard of these things either."

Aaaand off to RSP, where no one's ever heard of anything.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2018 14:18 by GorillaGrody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Cranberries, Msample, Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
23 Jun 2018 13:02 #276080 by SuperflyPete
Shit like this sickens me. I hate that people are treated like this.

It’s awesome that Origins is working with the Columbus cops to sort these assholes out

More
23 Jun 2018 18:41 #276084 by Erik Twice
There's a thread on Reddit right now concerning this topic that is a very good read. It's also a very frustrating read:

www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/8t0...im_all_life_long_my/

I also think it highlights the importance of positive community building and the difficulty of enforcement.

Not Sure wrote: The "average boardgamer" who posts on Internet forums is often in his forties or older, but that's a skewed view of the hobby. There's a quite healthy game group at the San Francisco office of my company (that I occasionally visit) who don't give a fuck about BGG or cons or anything else. Just a bunch of twenty-somethings enjoying games in an environment where being a dickhead can have real-world consequences. I get the feeling they're not alone at all in that.

There are younger gamers, but I do think the average is about that age. Considering that the average "hardcore" video game player is in his 30s, I think the boardgame average should be higher.

In my experience, younger gamers exist and are common but they are less into the hobby and disproportionately not into the hobby given their involvement in video games and so on. Most of the young geeks I know are starting to get into it, but still aren't hobbyists.

Keep in mind, though, that things are different here and I'm a massive outliner in many ways.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
23 Jun 2018 20:46 #276087 by Sevej
Wow, now that you tell me, you could be right. Of all my juniors in the office, very few are actually gamers. The ones who are play are on mobile mainly. I know 2 guys at work who are gamers, but they are 30+ and 40+. It's probably a $$$ issue. Back then we pirated games (both because it was unavailable, no internet, and less than $10 spending money a month), but now people just play mobile games.

More
23 Jun 2018 23:56 #276091 by Sagrilarus
It's not money, it's pacing. Those of us with kids have little interest in games with time pressure.

And I'm not sure why we're equating older with more likely to be predatorial. My last two run-ins were with younger men.

More
24 Jun 2018 01:03 #276093 by SuperflyPete

Sagrilarus wrote: It's not money, it's pacing. Those of us with kids have little interest in games with time pressure.

And I'm not sure why we're equating older with more likely to be predatorial. My last two run-ins were with younger men.

That’s what I was thinking. I’ve never, ever treated a woman with disrespect, especially sexually. I don’t even understand the concept of how men can feel entitled to say sexual shit like this guy apparently did. It’s classless, and for a gamer, it illustrates that dude has zero game when it comes to courting.

The younger dudes I know are more snide like that and would say crass shit as a pickup line.

More
24 Jun 2018 02:13 #276095 by SuperflyPete
I know Jeffrey. He’s a stand up guy. If he says to Mark Sierens that he shouldnt be surprised...chances are Jeffrey has seen some shit go down.

Attachments:

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.782 seconds