October 09, 2023
2550 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Cult of the Old - Cosmic Encounter

More
16 Aug 2023 08:23 #340262 by Jackwraith
Figured I'd start the thread, since I really enjoyed that last episode. I usually describe CE as the "foundation of modern non-German board game design" because it introduced that essential concept of "variable player powers", where everyone in the game does something different. Sure, there were references in that direction with Avalon Hill's wargames, in that different sides would or could do different things and had different units, but CE made it the centerpiece of the game and that became part of its lasting charm. That said, I totally understand Matt and Iain's initial difficulty with it because I've seen that happen dozens of times, among gamers and non-gamers alike. Some do eventually come back to it, like they did, but others (like... sigh... my girlfriend) are just never going to be fans of the chaos and the variety that that one basic aspect creates.

I enjoyed that one not only because it's, by far, my favorite among the games you've covered, but also because I thought the exchange between your three different perspectives was the most dynamic of the first season. It would be easy to do an entire series about just CE and I think you reflected that well in trying to explain the magnitude of its impact.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, hotseatgames, sornars

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2023 08:52 #340263 by hotseatgames
I have not heard the episode but I consider Cosmic Encounter to be the greatest board game ever created. It's not for everybody, but it's sure for me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
16 Aug 2023 09:29 #340264 by Hammy
Cosmic was one of my first board game purchases and so much of it feels like the peak of what the hobby can do. The emphasis on wild powers themed around crazy species along with the necessity to negotiate is an intoxicating combination...that I can barely ever play.

I haven't got a game of it in since...2019? People tend to drift to lighter fare in my collection or get overwhelmed by the scope of the game and not get invested. Of course, it doesn't help that I have most of the expansions with it all in a big plastic container from Hobby Lobby. XD

I don't think I've had a session that truly brings out the game's full promise yet. Regardless, great game and one I desperately want to spend more time with. Also, those ship tokens are brilliant. Stacking them like poker chips just feels excellent.

More
16 Aug 2023 10:24 #340267 by Jackwraith
I've introduced some people to it by simply saying: "Today, we're playing Cosmic Encounter", starting with the absolute basics and then slowly adding in other options, like Rewards and Tech and so forth over a number of games. Once people are used to its pace, I've found that they're more eager to try different options and you get less of that "overwhelmed by the scope" reaction.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hammy

More
16 Aug 2023 11:16 #340268 by Shellhead
The original edition had some great ideas, but I felt that it turned into a mess with moons and lucre. The FFG edition was outstanding, and really nailed down the turn sequence nicely. I have found the FFG edition is very easy to teach to non-gamers. It's always a good game, with plenty of conflict and interaction, but a card deck that absolves you for attacking other players. The only thing that I find a little disappointing is that a game can end before you get your turn if you are in a big game, like 7 or 8 players.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds