October 09, 2023
2538 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Nemesis: Retaliation

More
14 Dec 2023 10:58 #341274 by NeonPeon
Just saw this ad and...what? Will this game become the poster child for how we've gone too far, and hopefully usher in an era of scaling back to normalcy? Maybe I'm just old and cranky...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2023 11:10 #341275 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Nemesis: Retaliation
That price is an all in for three separate games. This is really nothing new, other Kickstarters have pierced the thousand dollar threshold. Marvel United, Zombicide, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NeonPeon, southernman, Gary Sax, Msample

More
14 Dec 2023 11:33 #341276 by NeonPeon
Replied by NeonPeon on topic Nemesis: Retaliation
OK, didn't realize it was three different games, and I am probably out of touch to some degree. Nevertheless I am balking somewhat. :lol:

More
14 Dec 2023 11:35 #341277 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Nemesis: Retaliation
Add in the cost of a new bookcase to hold that one game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NeonPeon, Rliyen, allismom3, n815e

More
14 Dec 2023 11:46 #341278 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Nemesis: Retaliation
It’s three games, but essentially the are nearly identical or super close.

I’m back and forth between getting the base game here and maybe some additional stuff for the original, but maybe the original is just enough and I should stop there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
14 Dec 2023 14:23 #341282 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic Nemesis: Retaliation
On the one hand I'll freely admit that I am pledging the newest one ( RETALIATION ) despite owning the first two. While the first two are def close to one another in game play, the newest one is differnt both thematically ( more of a straight shooter vs horror/traitor ) and they appear to have made some improvements to the core rules/UX. I am a huge fan of the series and yes I know its a shit ton of plastic. I think for many people, getting any one core box offers a decent amount of gameplay . The all in mega pledges are really jacked up by all the add ones, many of which are cosmetic ( dry brushed figs, expansion content ).

One notable change for RETALIATION is that for the first time, they are offering a cheaper version which is standees vs minis option. It will be interesting to see how that percentage of backers choose that vs full on minis. I can't see that; one difference between KS and Gamefound is that on KS you could see how many pledged each level.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Rliyen, Gary Sax, Jackwraith, hotseatgames, sornars, n815e

More
15 Dec 2023 09:44 #341297 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Nemesis: Retaliation
In a few years, there will be a kickstarter for Nemesis: Liquidation. It will be so expensive that there is an option to pay by signing over the deed to your house.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Jackwraith, n815e

More
15 Dec 2023 10:58 #341298 by n815e
Replied by n815e on topic Nemesis: Retaliation
I ended up with only going for Aftermath and medic. I will probably end up adding Retaliation later on, but I’m really trying to tamper the buying and Conan is coming with a new ks next month that I value more.

More
15 Dec 2023 11:13 #341299 by Ah_Pook
Replied by Ah_Pook on topic Nemesis: Retaliation

NeonPeon wrote: Just saw this ad and...what? Will this game become the poster child for how we've gone too far, and hopefully usher in an era of scaling back to normalcy? Maybe I'm just old and cranky...

Just ignore all the bullshit on Kickstarter and bam you're scaled back. The power is in your hands.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, n815e

More
15 Dec 2023 15:00 #341300 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Nemesis: Retaliation

Msample wrote: ...
One notable change for RETALIATION is that for the first time, they are offering a cheaper version which is standees vs minis option. It will be interesting to see how that percentage of backers choose that vs full on minis. I can't see that; one difference between KS and Gamefound is that on KS you could see how many pledged each level.

I was debating over the standees, I have asked for them on earlier games from AR like Tainted Grail and Etherfields where the enemy minis are pretty superfluous and was told they don't do them, as the art looked really good on them (better than I could even dream of painting like) but in the end Nemesis is all about being surrounded by some big alien and you just have to have them on the board.
So I've gone just for the core minis pledge (not sundropped this time, I'll just do some of my slowly improving dry-brushing) plus the Untold Stories vol 4. I wasn't interested in the extra alien races, I hardly use them in the original game, but may add the odd extra bit in the pledge manager.
It is pretty different enough from the other two for me to warrant getting (I never backed Lockdown because it was a bit too similar,and I had trouble getting the original out for enough plays).

More
15 Dec 2023 18:29 #341302 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Nemesis: Retaliation
People are wringing their hands over this on Reddit.

More
16 Dec 2023 15:37 #341309 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Nemesis: Retaliation
^the expense of the all in for all 3 or the standee thing?

More
16 Dec 2023 16:19 #341310 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Nemesis: Retaliation
Newer players are trying to figure out why this title is getting so much attention. They're concerned they kinda have to buy to be in, but it's pricey. Older folks are explaining the situation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
21 Dec 2023 11:52 #341366 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Nemesis: Retaliation

Shellhead wrote: In a few years, there will be a kickstarter for Nemesis: Liquidation. It will be so expensive that there is an option to pay by signing over the deed to your house.

This had me bursting out laughing at my desk.

More
21 Dec 2023 12:05 - 21 Dec 2023 12:06 #341367 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Nemesis: Retaliation

Sagrilarus wrote: Newer players are trying to figure out why this title is getting so much attention. They're concerned they kinda have to buy to be in, but it's pricey. Older folks are explaining the situation.

It's actually pretty cheap for a minis heavy game, probably not much more than the original 5 years ago, and very cheap if you take the Standees option, even shipping to the US ($22) isn't that bad ... and you guys don't even have to cough up the extra 20% VAT like we in the UK and EU do.

It is confusing though with all the content but once you sort out the three different games and identify what the add-ons are (and to be fair to AR they label add-ons as not required for the core gameplay) then pretty easy to buy the game ... plus they even get the option to pay it off in instalments.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2023 12:06 by southernman.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.598 seconds