October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Neuro "Schloesser" Hex

More
02 Dec 2008 16:22 - 02 Dec 2008 16:25 #14754 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:Neuro "Schloesser" Hex
The whole concept of internet personality is a fucking joke when you really think about it. I can honestly say that I don't know Barnes, Branham, Weeks or any personality on this, or the other site, from Adam.

I haven't met any of them personally , which is the only way to really get to know someone- you know - spend some time, shoot some shit. I'm old school like that.

All this means to me is that the creators of NH have fully accepted that their game caters to an ,extremely , niche market. Personally I'd have skipped the endorsements.

Little anecdote that relates to the topic of internet personality: A few years back when I was really into the Blood Bowl internet and tournament scene (think BGG only smaller and in some ways worse) there was this one character who was deamed untouchable.

His words where the quintessence of wisdom itself, something he'd remind you of by trolling every single post in which you disagreed with him. That, or he'd let his scores of... um... I think I'll go with followers have at you, mercilessly reminding you of how much the GREAT X has "done for the hobby."

And one fateful day at GenCon I finally met the GREAT X at Gencon. And he couldn't even look me in the eye when he shook my hand with his fucking dead fish ass grip.

It was the watershed moment that basicly let me know rhat the internets is like road rage for cowards.
Last edit: 02 Dec 2008 16:25 by billyz.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2008 16:53 #14759 by Deleted User 1

Dia Die Los Muertos / Four Dragons is the really good game

Ok, I will try this game. It is probably a better choice for me since I have Latinos in my game group. I do like trick taking games, Wizard is a favorite

More
02 Dec 2008 17:15 #14765 by tomvasel
Replied by tomvasel on topic Re:Neuro
TheDukester wrote:
I wonder if someone like Tom Vasel would be surprised to learn that the vast majority of people who play boardgames have never heard of him?
[/quote]

Would that surprise me? Unlikely. Maybe 3000 people listen to my podcast. With over 6 billion people in the world, that's a drop in the ocean. To think otherwise would be a bit egotistic.

Out of curiosity, though, what "gaming personalities" would you say DO think highly of themselves? And then my follow up would be, why do you think so? Have they said as much?

I mean, I post reviews and have a few shows, but it seems I honestly get talked about on this site more than at BGG. I'm not looking for publicity - I want more people to play games.

But I understand, you guys need some folks to trash on a consistent basis, thus Michael's "payola" comment about our awards, which is a downright lie. I can live with it.

But really? You think Greg seeks adulation? I've never seen anything from him that was puffed up - not when compared to anything that Weeks and Barnes produce. It's all the same - about games.

I thought F:AT would be different - you claim to be different. Constant mocking of BGG for having a "personality cult". Yet there are many threads over here on the same subject!

More
02 Dec 2008 17:33 - 03 Dec 2008 10:26 #14766 by ChristopherMD
billyz wrote:

And one fateful day at GenCon I finally met the GREAT X at Gencon. And he couldn't even look me in the eye when he shook my hand with his fucking dead fish ass grip.

It was the watershed moment that basicly let me know rhat the internets is like road rage for cowards.

I'm definitely not the same in person as how I post online. In fact I consider Mad Dog to be more of a persona than a direct representation of myself. Of course when you don't use your real name you know you can get away with a lot more so the temptation to post shit you wouldn't otherwise is greater, but then you're also less likely to get quoted on game boxes. So I pretty much have to make it a point to not judge people solely based on what they post online.
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 10:26 by ChristopherMD.

More
02 Dec 2008 17:36 #14767 by Deleted User 1
Tom Vasel in his old age discussing the work of Mr. Weeks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxgZcMGmkkI

More
02 Dec 2008 17:46 #14769 by Count Orlok
I'm going to have to agree about internet personalities and arguments. I don't come to this site for personalities or to have a character - all I come here for it to talk about games I like to play. I don't think my posts reflect much differently than they would if they were points in a face-to-face conversation, and I don't think they need to.

More
02 Dec 2008 17:54 #14770 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re:Neuro
the*mad*gamer wrote:

Tom Vasel in his old age discussing the work of Mr. Weeks

Holy shit, Steve, you composed that? Love the oboe.

More
02 Dec 2008 17:59 - 02 Dec 2008 17:59 #14771 by Deleted User 1
Replied by Deleted User 1 on topic Re:Neuro

Holy shit, Steve, you composed that? Love the oboe.

Well..I try to be modest and avoid the puffed up look, you know all dressed up standing in front of an IGA sign giving off "Tastemaker Vibes"
Last edit: 02 Dec 2008 17:59 by Deleted User 1.

More
02 Dec 2008 18:50 #14773 by Michael Barnes
Sorry Tom, it's not a "downright lie", it's making fun of you because it's known you get tons of free games and aren't one to pass on a bad review of say, a Days of Wonder game. But poor ol' Sodbusters...did you pay for that one or something? Who gave you enough F:ATbucks to buy an avatar anyway?

Funny that out of all the board game discussion that goes on here DAILY, you choose to pop your head in on something that is about Greg Schloesser. You could have, at any time, participated in any of the many great discussions about games and gaming that we have had over the past year and some change but instead _you_, my friend, seem to be more interested in talking about worn out subjects like who Greg Schloesser "really" is and how we should be ashamed for mocking him or you or whatever since y'all are modest, church mice types. This thread was threatening to turn into a roast for Frank Branham before you showed up. I don't think Tom Vasel has even been mentioned here in the past six months until I made that crack in the Trashies post.

OK Tom, you can leave now, I'm about to start talking about games again.

DIA DE LOS MUERTES is actually, probably, my favorite trick taking game. No, I'm not just buttering up Branham. It's really damn good. It has some cool, interesting mechanics that set it apart from the rest and I think the scoring is really challenging. Like most really good trick taking games, if you have a sucky partner you're going to get walloped so it pays to play for a while until you get the hang of it. FOUR DRAGONS is the same thing, but a different and much less cool theme and professional production.

BATTLE BEYOND SPACE...god, I wish you guys could play that. It's so freaking cool. I'm totally GAME Zing y'all on it, I know, but it's one that I know pretty much everyone here would really dig.

Steve, I gotta tell you...Branham looks like an Allman Brother. When he sings "Aqualung", it's amazing. Here I am scoring 100% on "Hungry Like the Wolf" and he's acing Jethro Tull. He also tears it up on the Blue Oyster Cult tracks.

Count Orlok- I'm with you- I've always been for and about straight talk, and the last thing I want to see is anybody here "in character". I think anybody that knows me will tell you that what I post here is pretty much what I'd say in face-to-face conversation. Anything less is dishonest to me. You just don't get to see how awesome I look.

More
02 Dec 2008 18:59 #14774 by Deleted User 1

Steve, I gotta tell you...Branham looks like an Allman Brother. When he sings "Aqualung", it's amazing. Here I am scoring 100% on "Hungry Like the Wolf" and he's acing Jethro Tull. He also tears it up on the Blue Oyster Cult tracks.

Yes, I have seen his picture, he looks just like a friend of mine Tim O'Brien that used to play guitar with me.

Where can I get DIA DE LOS MUERTES ?

More
02 Dec 2008 19:12 #14775 by Michael Barnes
You may have to talk to Branham for that one...I think he still has copies. I need to get one too, The Barrister stole mine.

FOUR DRAGONS is probably easier to come by, but the Day of the Dead artwork and "kind of" theme are what you really want out of it.

More
02 Dec 2008 20:26 #14777 by moofrank
Replied by moofrank on topic Re:Neuro "Schloesser" Hex
Tom actually does a great service to the Euro and AT crowds. He reviews everything, and gets tons of stuff sent to him. Just because he sorts through the absolute dregs of our hobby.

His writing and review style are far from my favorite. And Video and Podcasts for reviews are just painful to watch/listen to.

...but the games he reviews are the ones that are sent to him. Some of these are truly awful. Some are odd niche games that no one would have otherwise heard of.

Besides, he is one of the few voices to speak up for Duel of Ages. Pure AT. And better than most reviews would put it.

And while I have the local ancient wise gamer thing going, I am a few years behind the proper FIRST generation celebs.

Just go to www.gamecabinet.com and start reading the Sumos there. Seriously. The writing is better, and the games are a mix of family old school German games and AT wonders.

And...I still have no idea about Battle Beyond Space as a proper published boxed thing.
I'm one piece away from being able to do a run of 100 or so myself, though. The 2.5" long 2-hex capital ships are a daunting prospect.

More
02 Dec 2008 20:29 #14778 by Stephen Avery

Of course when you don't use your real name you know you can get away with a lot more so the temptation to post shit you wouldn't otherwise is greater,

Thats why I use this psuedonym Steve Avery. I just like to stir the shit while being anonomous.

BTW Welcome to the boards Tom.You'll find swimming with the sharks isn't too tough if you have a thick skin.

Steve"Wise in the ways of the force"Avery

More
02 Dec 2008 21:12 #14781 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:Neuro
SusanR wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

You want to know what's REALLY funny?

I sold Greg his copy of NH...Branham was the middle man. I even autographed his copy "To the Schloesseinator"!

Heh. You sold me my copy as well. Which I STILL haven't played. :angry:

Man Susan, we played it at the CON,and we really liked it. Need to play it at Mark's this week. I would love to try the expansions as well.

More
02 Dec 2008 21:16 #14783 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:Neuro
tomvasel wrote:

Out of curiosity, though, what "gaming personalities" would you say DO think highly of themselves? And then my follow up would be, why do you think so? Have they said as much?
![/quote]

I think highly of myself. But then again I am the "Chapel". B)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds