October 09, 2023
2555 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2752 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

What is your best game?

More
10 Jan 2009 15:13 #16487 by Count Orlok
1. What is your best game, the game that you win the most? Probably Command and Colors Ancients. I played the hell out of for awhile, and have gotten to the point where my moves are automatic. When the dice gods favor me, I can rip it up. I've won many a game from C&C Ancients tournaments at cons.
If not C&C ancients, I used to kick everyone's ass I played Vampire/Jyhad with. I taught them all and they all used my decks, but damn I used to slaughter them. I would let them pick any deck and then pick a deck to give me and I would still beat them!

2. And why are you so good at it?
Experience, a fairly obvious tactical game and some hot dice.
For V:TES, I was dealing with inexperienced players who just plain sucked!

3. Also, if your best game isn't your favorite game, why aren't you winning your favorite game more often? I would love to be good at Here I Stand, but my abysmal performance in a few games has not been cleared by a few sporadic victories. I'm not good at memorizing the cards, and can get screwed if my attack plans are derailed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2009 20:12 #16500 by BradHB
Replied by BradHB on topic Re:What is your best game?

1. Any version of Scene-It;

That's a good point. I've never lost a game of Scene-It - to the extent that my family won't play it with me any more. Ther reason: I have a degree in Film Studies.

On the plus side, my family no longer want to play Scene-It with me.

More
11 Jan 2009 23:31 #16668 by Sagrilarus
Best game?
1. Through the Desert

Why?
2. No clue. I seem to have a knack for those box-out style geometry games. Hey That's My Fish too. Ingenious. Blokus I'm really good at, but not great. Every move just seems to make perfect sense in Through the Desert, and I'm always perplexed at what the others are doing with their pieces. They just seem to be giving land away for no reason.

Favorite game?
3. Not Through the Desert or Hey That's My Fish I'll tell you that much, because it's three against one now whenever I play. Frankly I find the games dry and unchallenging. I like the bigger economy games and tacticals because there's more to worry about and more shades of gray in your decisions. I get to feel like I'm painting something instead of connecting dots. Unfortunately I kind of stink at those sorts of games.

Sag.

More
12 Jan 2009 10:08 #16707 by Black Barney
Count Orlok wrote:

1. What is your best game, the game that you win the most?

3. Also, if your best game isn't your favorite game, why aren't you winning your favorite game more often?

1. Twilight Struggle. I don't think I've ever lost. I tied once but never lost.

2. Probably because my competition is very weak. I tend to focus on what I think is really important and often my opponents don't focus on the same stuff which allows me to run away with the game more often than not.

3. I think my favourite game is Agricola and I'm VERY inconsistent at this game. I don't think I've ever been able to beat my mother who only plays with me around the holidays. I've tried different strategies and everytime I increase my family size too fast, I get major food headaches. And if I don't increase my family, I get run over. UGH

Lately I've been playing Race to the Galaxy (with expansion) like crazy. I win about 50% of my games and I'm totally happy with that cuz it keeps my opponents excited to play it. Whereas I can't ever find anyone to play Twilight Struggle against me :(

More
12 Jan 2009 10:42 #16711 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:What is your best game?
I'd play it against you, you Canadian bastard

More
12 Jan 2009 12:23 #16722 by Dr. Mabuse
Shellhead wrote:

1. What is your best game, the game that you win the most? Not your favorite game, but the game where you consistently kick ass.

3. Also, if your best game isn't your favorite game, why aren't you winning your favorite game more often?

Hannibal: Rome VS Carthage

Ba'al is always with me in battles!

Fortunately it is my fave.

More
12 Jan 2009 12:24 #16723 by hancock.tom
1. I am freakishly good at Zendo, although I only played once.

2. I think it was all those LSAT practice books I did back in the day, or the logic puzzle books I have kept on the back of my shitter for years.

3. Titan is my favorite game, and I don't win it much because I don't play it much. I get a lot of wins on colossus, but against the computer just ain't the same.

More
12 Jan 2009 13:38 #16740 by Space Ghost
Ken B. wrote:

I'd play it against you, you Canadian bastard

Ken --

Do you play on wargameroom? I am always looking for a good TS opponent.

More
12 Jan 2009 14:29 #16763 by Harkonnen13
Shellhead wrote:

1. What is your best game, the game that you win the most? Not your favorite game, but the game where you consistently kick ass.

Cool thread.

1. World at War series (Eisenbach Gap, ect.). Haven't lost a game in months. I'll kick your ass but not be a dick about it and I'm pretty good at teaching it. I have to mention the Babylon 5 A Call to Arms miniatures game too. Out of our group of 8 or so players only 1 guy could beat me, he won about half our games. I don't understand why people can't put tactics and rules together in miniatures games to rack up wins. I quit doing the minis thing a couple years ago.

2. I play WaW a lot, like 30 games so far. Simple rules, an understanding of cover, LOS, and judging the activation chit draws go a long way. I pretty much already know what doesn't work since I've tried the bad tactics.

3. WaW is currently my favorite game.

More
15 Jan 2009 13:42 #17125 by MrZir
Replied by MrZir on topic Re:What is your best game?

Shellhead wrote:

Sleeping Queens,

because my opponent is learning to add, subtract and multiply.

My favorite game so far is Fury of Dracula, but I have my first game of TI3 scheduled for next weekend.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.522 seconds