October 09, 2023
2559 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2761 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

A PC do I want one?

More
05 Feb 2009 17:59 #20231 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re:A PC do I want one?
Notahandle wrote:

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!

I believe the word is "Negro".

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2009 18:11 #20236 by Bullwinkle
Replied by Bullwinkle on topic Re:A PC do I want one?
JoelCFC25 wrote:

The Mac-vs-PC thing is a giant yawnfest, but this comment caught my eye. I play TF2 a fair amount, and I'd be fine with adding some F:AT members to my list on Steam.

moss_icon made a Steam group in another thread: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fortressat . Join!

More
05 Feb 2009 21:08 #20253 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re:A PC do I want one?
Space Ghost wrote:

All I know is that Macs are a royal pain in the ass for statistical computing.

QFT Macs are terrible at crunching large numbers.

[vent]I feel pretty passionate about this because I'm the one that all the older members of my family annoy with their computer problems. These are people that are so technically challenged that they don't understand that in order to print, you need to have a printer. The paper doesn't just come flying out of the back of your laptop. They start by asking me what they should buy. I tell them that they should buy a MacBook, a base station and a printer with wireless capabilities. A laptop, because it's all one piece, so I don't get the "my monitor doesn't work" call, when they unplug it to run the vacuum and don't plug it back in. Everything wireless because once they understand that they need a printer, I don't have to deal with explaining that their computer has to actually be plugged into the printer to print. I recommend this set up because it will do everything they need to do - e-mail, internet, uploading their digital pictures, occasionally writing a simple text document and printing it - and, once I get it set up for them, it's nearly idiot proof.

However, some wise ass always comes in and points out that for the same amount of money they can buy some tricked out PC, that has the MEGAsaurus graphic accelerator, and 36 different useless applications pre-installed, and a "FREE" piece of crap printer and disfunctional webcam. So they buy it. It's like putting grandma behind the wheel of race car and expecting her not to crash.

About two days after they get their ginormous, super cool PC, they start calling me for help. And the calls never stop. I'm having to talk them through all the stupid "wizards," and through how to find their apps, and where their e-mail went. I visit them, and set up shortcuts on their screen, two weeks later they "do something" and their short cuts disappear. The piece of crap printer dies, so they buy a new one, but now they can't print because they don't have the driver. The computer crashes when they are trying upload their digital pictures, and trashes the card. I'm spending hours several times a year backing their shit up, re-formatting their drives, re-installing windows.

So finally I just start playing dumb, and tell them that I'm sorry I don't know PCs. So they take their machines to some service that supposedly fixes up their computer, optimizes their drives, installs security, or some such shit. They pay like $200 for this service. And then things get really bad. The anti-spyware means they can't accept cookies, and they got the pop-ups blocked, and they don't know how to unblock them and they can't shop on Amazon anymore. And they're calling me.

I think I mentioned in another thread that I phone plonk my relations in real life.

So PCs are awesome for many things, but don't dis the Mac. And if you ever overhear a Senior saying, "My son's sister-in-law's cousin says I should get a Mac" resist the urge to start spouting off about PCs to them.[/vent]

More
05 Feb 2009 21:36 #20254 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:A PC do I want one?
LOL--Uba, you reminded me of when my grandmother first got email...about a month afterward she told me she'd been getting a lot of "vulgar" emails, because of course she wasn't careful about putting her new email address everywhere.

"I've been replying to them and telling them to stop, but they just keep getting worse!" she said. I just laughed a little and shook my head.

I've lived your pain, Shellie...I'm "that guy" for the family's computer problems. Usually it isn't bad...it's of the "your computer doesn't 'work' because you forgot to turn your monitor on" type deals...but I have had to rebuild my grandmother's PC twice, for instance.

More
06 Feb 2009 00:11 #20265 by PseudoIntellectual
Bullwinkle wrote:

Regarding FPSs, mouse and keyboard is an infinitely better control system for shooters. There are a ton of games available, both current and dated a few years, to satisfy your shooter needs. PC versions are also almost always moddable, which allows you to make changes to gameplay as you see fit, and often greatly increase your value for money (e.g. see HL2's Source engine).

I firmly agree. Few better buys than the Orange Box ($30 at Amazon) which comes with a ridiculous number of games and the ability to download countless free mods. I hate FPS on console, I only play 3rd person on consoles.

The OPs link doesn't work, but you are probably getting ripped off if you are going for a pre-built PC instead of assembling it yourself (even if you buy the parts from New Egg or a diff discount retailer and pay a local repair store to assemble it, it's still cheaper than pre-built).

More
06 Feb 2009 00:16 #20268 by PseudoIntellectual
My only real problem with macs is how difficult they are to upgrade and/or mess around inside on your own. I hate prebuilt computers. I cracked open an old HP pre-built I've had for years to salvage the hard-drive, and the thing had this ridiculous aluminum frame inside the case, as if it was designed with two goals in mind, 1: Protecting the computer from sledge-hammers, and 2: making sure you get discouraged and pay someone to fix it if you open it up to do it yourself. I ended up prying the damn hard-drive out anyway, but that was really an eye-opener.

More
06 Feb 2009 08:44 #20280 by maka
Replied by maka on topic Re:A PC do I want one?
I don't know about the HP, but desktop macs have been very easy to open and upgrade since at least the G3 computer. It's just a matter of opening the side panel which takes like 3 seconds...

Now laptops is another thing, but it got better with the macbookpro...

And I wonder, does anyone that think mouse/keyboard is the best control for FPS have ever played Metroid Prime 3 on the Wii? just curious...

More
06 Feb 2009 08:57 #20284 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:A PC do I want one?
ubarose wrote:
[vent] ... [/vent]
That sounds familiar! A technophobe friend had to buy a computer. His PC friend gave him a list of what he (i.e. the tech-savvy PC friend) would buy. My question was, would the friend be there when the necessary trouble shooting was required. He bought a Mac, then after a year or two bought a PC in order to access certain websites that had IE specific stuff. Nowadays he uses both, spends a fair amount of time phoning helplines, but overall thinks that he had a smoother experience than if he'd jumped in the deep end with an overspeced PC. I'd answer his initial Mac queries, but for the PC side I always pleaded that I knew nothing about them.

And for you to fully appreciate 'technophobe' I'll mention three things. After upgrading the Mac OS he'd frequently complain that the Safari icon was no longer on the desktop, and that getting online was harder than before. Two years or so after buying his first Mac he says something that makes me realise that he still doesn't know how to eject a CD/DVD. Currently, after maybe five or six years, he still doesn't know what copy and paste is. And yes, I've tried to explain all of those, but he refuses to learn anything until something goes wrong and he's forced to address it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds