October 09, 2023
2559 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2760 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

Bring Mr. Skeletor down with PC games!

More
05 Feb 2009 07:37 - 05 Feb 2009 07:46 #20088 by Bullwinkle
Mr. Skeletor has just purchased a new computer. It is quite a nice gaming rig, and he's looking for recommendations for games in two categories: FPSs and strategy games. I thought I'd make a new recommendations thread because a) what Frank likes is pretty much what I like (although I like RPGs, too), and I'm hoping to hear about choices I've missed, and b) the other thread is now a clusterfuck.

So add your recommendations, please! Don't be shy about adding older games, if you feel they're still good options. And indie games are definitely welcome. We have so far:

FPS:
The Orange Box (HL2 + Ep 1&2 + Portal + TF2)
Fallout 3
Bioshock
Call of Duty 4 (and 2, and 1)
Mount & Blade
Crysis (although the second half is crap)
Left4Dead
FEAR
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy

Strategy:
Armageddon Empires
Civilization 4
Total War (various editions)
Disciples 2
Dominions 3
Galactic Civilizations 2
Freedom Force
Sins of a Solar Empire (RTS)
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (basically Civilization 2 in space)
Last edit: 05 Feb 2009 07:46 by Bullwinkle.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2009 08:07 #20095 by Citadel
Dawn of War was mentioned before. It is a very fun RTS. I think Winter Assault was a very enjoyable scenario too.

I am pretty behind on video games. My favourite FPS of the games I played recently was Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay. Strategy wise there was a game ages ago called Startopia. It was made by half of Bullfrog. It is pretty much another Dungeon Keeper but great fun.

More
05 Feb 2009 08:10 - 05 Feb 2009 08:11 #20096 by Spinrad
RTS:
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War, Winter Assault, and Dark Crusade

(I'm pretty sure they have like a boxed set now that comes with all of them, or at least the base + Winter Assault games)

I haven't played Dawn of War: Soulstorm yet. The demo that I played didn't really impress me. Depends on how much you lurve Sisters of Battle and Dark Eldar.

Dawn of War 2 is coming out soonish, but from what I can tell is going to be different enough that having both wouldn't be a waste.

The campaign play in Dark Crusade is pretty cool. You attack different provinces for different bonuses, your commander gets new wargear (basically just upgraded stats, but still fun) etc.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2009 08:11 by Spinrad.

More
05 Feb 2009 09:01 #20109 by sydo
Another vote for WH40k, it's the best RTS after Starcraft.

More
05 Feb 2009 09:14 #20114 by Schweig!
FPS

LEFT 4 DEAD: If you got three friends to play with (e.g. via LAN) this game is a lot of fun. Single player - not so much.

COD 4: Best multiplayer shooter.

BROTHERS IN ARMS: I haven't played the newest one yet HELL'S HIGHWAY (as I'm facing some computer problems with it), but the two earlier parts for the the PC were great, so I think they didn't mess much up here.

More
05 Feb 2009 12:58 #20162 by Notahandle
Left4dead. Don't even think about not getting it!!
And as Schweig! mentioned, it's better without the AI running characters.

(I just hope the sods hurry up and bring it out on the Mac! My friends' network is smaller now that the two sons are gone again.)

More
05 Feb 2009 14:44 #20177 by Mr Skeletor
The reason why I hate recommendations is that you end up with a laundy list a mile long.
I don't want a video game collection to rival my boardgame collection, just a couple of games to play. Maybe even 1. I prefer to play the shit out of 1 thing then bits of everything. And I still want a life and have been time poor even without a PC.

Of the stuff recommended I have the following already:
Half Life 2 + Episode 1. Didn't get Episode 2 because it seemed like a ripoff.
Freedom Force. Great game, though I only played it single player. That ran on my current shitbox.

What I am leaning towards getting:
The Warhammer40k anotholgy pack (I think its all 4 in one.) - sounds awesome. And hey, it's 40k!
Left4dead - know nothing about this game except that people keep crapping on about how good it is, including my best mate who just had a baby (so i'll have at least 1 person I know in real life to play against.
WoW - already own this but thinking of reinstating my account since I now work with a guy who is an addict. I might have more fun playing it if I know people.

Those 3give me a good spread. Then I get Blood Bowl when it's released.

More
05 Feb 2009 14:51 - 05 Feb 2009 14:53 #20179 by moss_icon
Citadel wrote:

I am pretty behind on video games. My favourite FPS of the games I played recently was Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay.

this game was amazing. they are redoing it with new graphics, and a whole new game to go with it. looking forward to some riddick.

left4dead is brilliance, anyone who tolerates me can feel free to add me on steam, username is moss_icon (p.s. i suck at it)

Another vote for WH40k, it's the best RTS after Starcraft.

i'd pick company of heroes as the king of the genre.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2009 14:53 by moss_icon.

More
05 Feb 2009 14:54 #20180 by Octavian
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Left4dead - know nothing about this game except that people keep crapping on about how good it is, including my best mate who just had a baby (so i'll have at least 1 person I know in real life to play against.

With. Not against. It's a 4p co-op.

More
05 Feb 2009 15:05 #20184 by moss_icon
Octavian wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

strictly speaking, you can play as a zombie in versus mode. not that i ever have.

More
05 Feb 2009 15:08 #20186 by Mr Skeletor
Octavian wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

That's not Ameritrash. Interest dead.

More
05 Feb 2009 15:26 #20189 by Columbob
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Octavian wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

But it totally is! You strive to survive while blasting away at hordes of zombies. You always have 4 people on your team, either you with 3 AIs or mates.

More
05 Feb 2009 16:19 #20198 by Mr Skeletor
Columbob wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

Octavian wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

But it totally is! You strive to survive while blasting away at hordes of zombies. You always have 4 people on your team, either you with 3 AIs or mates.

So single player and multiplayer is essentially the same thing?
Is there a standard campaign mode?

More
05 Feb 2009 16:25 #20200 by SusanR
Mr Skeletor wrote:

WoW - already own this but thinking of reinstating my account since I now work with a guy who is an addict. I might have more fun playing it if I know people.

I play with a group of people that I see every summer at a game convention. We have our own guild and help each other out so thankfully, I don't have to play or deal much with all the random idiots online. We play together on a regular basis and use Skype to talk to each other. It's the next best thing to sitting down at a table and playing a boardgame with them.

I've been playing since August and have been leveling one character. I have just cracked open the latest expansion and I have to say, the game has gotten better with each one.

More
05 Feb 2009 17:08 - 05 Feb 2009 17:09 #20211 by moss_icon
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Columbob wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

Octavian wrote:

Mr Skeletor wrote:

So single player and multiplayer is essentially the same thing?
Is there a standard campaign mode?

no. there are 4 scenarios, all about an hour long (depending how good / shit you are). you play them in one of these modes:

single player (pointless)
4 player co-op (awesome with 3 friends, you can play these over and over and over)
versus (8 player. 4 human players vs 4 zombie players (they play the 'boss' zombies) and tonnes of AI zombie. i haven't tried this as i only know enough people for co-op)
Last edit: 05 Feb 2009 17:09 by moss_icon.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds