October 09, 2023
2561 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2762 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

So how many of us have ADD?

More
05 Feb 2009 12:20 - 05 Feb 2009 12:23 #20148 by timeLESS
ADD being Attention Deficit Disorder

It makes it easy learning new games....
It makes it hard sticking with them ....
Last edit: 05 Feb 2009 12:23 by timeLESS.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2009 12:29 #20149 by sydo
Replied by sydo on topic Re:So ho many of us have ADD?
Well, I would love to play them but there are too many. I made a promise to myself to limit my shopping spree and stick with those games I have and learn to play them properly. Cosmic Encounter is currently being played to death and it doesn't seem it's gonna change. Now we are trying to understand what to do in Titan and The HellGame is also waiting for some deepr analysis. so no more games for at least 2 months. Ok, maybe a month...

More
05 Feb 2009 12:32 #20151 by Shellhead
ADD was a fashionable disorder to claim in the '90s. I bet that most people who think they have ADD are actually normal. One of my friends thought he had ADD, and that always made us laugh, because he was extremely focused and intense. He sometimes got annoyed just because somebody tried to move on to a new conversational topic when he was still chewing on the original topic.

Likewise, Asberger's is the current trendy disorder, and most people who think they have it are just plain nerds.

More
05 Feb 2009 12:44 - 05 Feb 2009 12:44 #20153 by Dogmatix
Shellhead wrote:

ADD was a fashionable disorder to claim in the '90s. I bet that most people who think they have ADD are actually normal. One of my friends thought he had ADD, and that always made us laugh, because he was extremely focused and intense. He sometimes got annoyed just because somebody tried to move on to a new conversational topic when he was still chewing on the original topic.

Likewise, Asberger's is the current trendy disorder, and most people who think they have it are just plain nerds.

Mmmmmmmmm. Adderal. I keep hoping for that ADD diagnosis so that I can be prescribed piles of amphetamines on the cheap. It does so help one keep laser-like focus on whatever the task at hand is--even if that task is tapping a brick on the sidewalk for hours on end.

I know a few who really *are* ADD and the meds do help quite a bit. The rest of the folks I know with the diagnosis are little more than closet tweakers (in denial about what they are--"but my DOCTOR says...") who no longer have to score kitchen-sink Crank for the high.
Last edit: 05 Feb 2009 12:44 by Dogmatix.

More
05 Feb 2009 12:44 #20154 by sydo
Replied by sydo on topic Re:So how many of us have ADD?
Now it seems trendy for parents to claim that their child who is actually misbehaved or plain stupid has some kind of ADD/is hyperactive. There are no stupid or violent kids today, they are just ill.

More
05 Feb 2009 12:47 #20155 by Ska_baron
What about OCD? Doesn't everyone have that too?

I think what everyone has is a case of the retardeds.

More
05 Feb 2009 12:48 #20156 by NeonPeon
Shellhead,

ADD folks can have very strong focus on topics that interest them. Some more info on that: www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_adult_symptoms.htm#positive

...But yeah ADD was probably over-diagnosed.

More
05 Feb 2009 12:48 - 05 Feb 2009 12:49 #20157 by Dogmatix
sydo wrote:

Now it seems trendy for parents to claim that their child who is actually misbehaved or plain stupid has some kind of ADD/is hyperactive. There are no stupid or violent kids today, they are just ill.

I can promise you that that's also used as an excuse by harried parents to score junior's pills. It's such a common suburban scenario around here--the kid is taking 10mg here and there and mom is eating 40MG of those same pills every 8 hours "because it helps her focus." Lots of clenched jaws in the supermarkets mid-afternoon.

Sorry to derail the OP's post. The folks I know who actually have legitimate ADD diagnoses as adults really have a tough time of it around the office. Too much shit moving too quickly and their focus just shifts from one thing to another to the point where it becomes painful to watch because they don't follow any one thing to completion. Not one of us are really interested though we have to actually get the task done, so they kind of drift into falling behind and thus out of favor...
Last edit: 05 Feb 2009 12:49 by Dogmatix.

More
05 Feb 2009 12:50 #20158 by timeLESS
Trendy disorder aside,

being an information junkie with short a short attention time span makes learning new gamerules not only easy, it makes it fun to read those rules and recognize new patterns. Its like mentally assembling a puzzle. " AAAH so thats how it works, sweet " *rushes off to next game

More
05 Feb 2009 12:56 #20161 by Schweig!
sydo wrote:

Stupid kids nowadays are actually unchallenged in school and in reality highly gifted.

More
05 Feb 2009 13:48 #20170 by Dr. Mabuse
Schweig! wrote:

sydo wrote:

Stupid kids nowadays are actually unchallenged in school and in reality highly gifted.

We homeschool our kids which is awesome, cuz every few days I take my kids' lunch money from them to buy games with. What are they gonna do complain to their teacher? HA! I'm sleeping with her. BOOYAHH!!!

More
05 Feb 2009 18:02 #20233 by Bullwinkle
Teaching high school really, really, REALLY makes you hate these bullshit self-esteem-based "diagnoses". When someone really has ADD, or Asperger's, or fucking peanut allergies, you'll know it instantly. At least 95% of these kids' parents are full of shit.

More
05 Feb 2009 18:34 #20239 by moss_icon
And why you would bullshit about your child having Asperger's is beyond me anyway. It's not exactly something you would wish upon your kids, so making it up as an excuse is just the kind of behaviour that makes you want to nuke everything.

More
05 Feb 2009 19:58 #20248 by Mr Skeletor
moss_icon wrote:

And why you would bullshit about your child having Asperger's is beyond me anyway. It's not exactly something you would wish upon your kids, so making it up as an excuse is just the kind of behaviour that makes you want to nuke everything.

Not sure about Asperger's, but ADD is certainly used as an excuse for lazy parenting.

"Oh it's not my fault he is a useless undiciplined little shit - he has ADD!"

More
05 Feb 2009 20:56 #20252 by Ochobee
Growing up I suffered from AD&D...

But once your body grows strong enough to carry all of those books, dice and graph paper it's not that hard to live with. :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds