October 09, 2023
2537 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Year Zero TV Series

More
19 Aug 2008 13:25 #10285 by Harkonnen13
Trent Reznor has had talks with the people at HBO about making a TV series based on Year Zero, a CD NIN put out last year. The CD is a concept album that tells a story about an America 15 years from now where the government has way too much power. It's got a strong dystopic, kind of cyberpunk vibe. Maybe not the best NIN CD but it's good and a cool concept. It will make a hell of good TV show if done right.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2008/08/trent-reznor.html

After seeing NIN play last night in Dallas I HAD to post this.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2008 13:53 #10288 by Michael Barnes
I think Year Zero may actually be my favorite NIN record, believe it or not. "God Given", "In this Twilight", "Survivalism", "Vessel", "The Good Soldier"...so many great tracks, and I like the political sci-fi angle better than the life/relationships/religion/heroin addiction sucks angle.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the show...it could be cool, the thing is that conceptually it's kind of a pastiche of the usual Orwellian dystopianism with some PKD stuff...The Presence in particular and all the drug stuff is pure PKD.

More
19 Aug 2008 14:01 #10289 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Year Zero TV Series
I don't think the government will have too much power, I think the corporations will have too much power....

Sounds interesting though.

More
19 Aug 2008 14:07 #10291 by Harkonnen13
Replied by Harkonnen13 on topic Re:Year Zero TV Series
Michael Barnes wrote:

It'll be interesting to see what happens with the show...it could be cool, the thing is that conceptually it's kind of a pastiche of the usual Orwellian dystopianism with some PKD stuff...The Presence in particular and all the drug stuff is pure PKD.

You're right, the concept is nothing original to SF fans but it's never been done well on TV. Probably not too many times on a concept album either. HBO doesn't have the restrictions a regular network does and they could do a good job. I really hope the project goes through.

More
19 Aug 2008 15:36 #10295 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:Year Zero TV Series
mikoyan wrote:

I don't think the government will have too much power, I think the corporations will have too much power....

Sounds interesting though.

Same difference

More
19 Aug 2008 19:08 #10306 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Year Zero TV Series
That would be awesomely original if it was like 30 years ago...

More
19 Aug 2008 19:38 #10307 by Harkonnen13
Mr Skeletor wrote:

That would be awesomely original if it was like 30 years ago...

There's been other good cyberpunk TV shows in the last 30 years?

More
20 Aug 2008 06:07 #10316 by Citadel
Replied by Citadel on topic Re:Year Zero TV Series
Wild Palms. Serial Experiments: Lain and Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex are anime cyberpunk series I have seen. 1984 was made into a television show in the 60s by the BBC. There have been dystopian episodes of more general SciFi TV shows like The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, Blake's 7, Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, Futurama, etc.

More
20 Aug 2008 12:11 #10327 by Harkonnen13
...and Lain was probably the only good one. The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, Blake's 7, Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, Futurama, aren't cyberpunk TV shows. I had no idea 1984 was a TV series I'm going to see if Netflix has it.

More
20 Aug 2008 12:23 #10328 by mikoyan
Replied by mikoyan on topic Re:Year Zero TV Series
What about Max Headroom?

More
20 Aug 2008 12:35 #10329 by Michael Barnes
I remember MAX HEADROOM being really, really awesome- gritty, dark, satirical, and full of good SF stuff. That being said, I never want to see it again for fear of it being actually very terrible in that way that nostalgia sometimes obscures.

More
20 Aug 2008 14:30 #10336 by Harkonnen13
Max Headroom came to mind when I was thinking about this discussion yesterday. I could not get "Coke" or "New Coke" out of my head (it kind of screwed up the memories of Max headroom) so I didn't say anything. Maybe that was the one real cyberpunk show. As far as animie there has probably been a lot of stuff with cyberpunk themes but those are cartoons and outside of Cowboy Bebop, one episode of Stand Alone Complex, and Lain I don't watch cartoons.

More
20 Aug 2008 20:41 #10357 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Year Zero TV Series
The point is "the government control you in the future" has been done to death in pop culture at this point.
Hell, "corperations control you in the future" has been done to death as well.

Neither are relevant in this day and age as they were in the 70s & 80s.

Here is a new, much more relevant idea for a scifi show:

The "population/unwashed masses" control you in the future.
The government consist of brain dead celebrities who promise the world with no plan on how to deliver it, because that's what the masses vote for. Nothing ever gets acheived because everything is argued about ad nausem over the internet, making the government to paralized to move. The world goes to shit because the government are too poll driven to dare make unpopular, but nessasary, moves.

The government of the future is an ineffective waste of populist nonsense and ideas. Real leadership is dead. Society stagnates under its own whilms.

You could make an awesome show/book/movie/etc using that as a basis. The information age that lead mankind to collectively being dumber than ever before. And it would be a hell of a lot more relevant to today than the whole "big brother" idea.

More
21 Aug 2008 07:40 #10379 by Citadel
Harkonnen13 wrote:

...and Lain was probably the only good one. The Twilight Zone, Star Trek, Blake's 7, Doctor Who, Red Dwarf, Futurama, aren't cyberpunk TV shows. I had no idea 1984 was a TV series I'm going to see if Netflix has it.

My point with those more general SciFi series is that they have dystopian and/or cyberpunk episodes. Take Red Dwarf's "Back to Reality" for example, it's a great cyberpunk story rolled up with so great dystopian SciFi. The album Year Zero has no real cyberpunk stuff in it, a few vague references maybe. It is a decent album but as SciFi concept albums go it is extremely thin on the SciFi. Whoever writes the series is basically going to have free reign to tell what ever story they want. The concept seems to be only the vaguest brush strokes outlining a dystopian near future setting.

I liked Wild Palms with its David Lynch style craziness. I have remembered a bunch more dystopian things that have been on TV. There was a quite good one last year called Exodus which was a SciFi retelling of the biblical story of Exodus. The trouble is that Orwellian police state dystopias are pretty much the SciFi equivalent of Tolkienesque fantasy.

More
21 Aug 2008 07:58 #10381 by Citadel
Mr Skeletor wrote:

The point is "the government control you in the future" has been done to death in pop culture at this point.
Hell, "corperations control you in the future" has been done to death as well.

Neither are relevant in this day and age as they were in the 70s & 80s.

Here is a new, much more relevant idea for a scifi show:

The "population/unwashed masses" control you in the future.
The government consist of brain dead celebrities who promise the world with no plan on how to deliver it, because that's what the masses vote for. Nothing ever gets acheived because everything is argued about ad nausem over the internet, making the government to paralized to move. The world goes to shit because the government are too poll driven to dare make unpopular, but nessasary, moves.

The government of the future is an ineffective waste of populist nonsense and ideas. Real leadership is dead. Society stagnates under its own whilms.

You could make an awesome show/book/movie/etc using that as a basis. The information age that lead mankind to collectively being dumber than ever before. And it would be a hell of a lot more relevant to today than the whole "big brother" idea.

So true. This is why Wall-E is such a great science fiction film. It's dystopian view of the future is so relevent to today's society.

This reminds me of a great TV series called The Trap. It was a docmentary series that was one man's view about how British politics became so meaningless with no ideological basis to it just pandering to the masses with vacuous soundbites. I loved it. Search for "Adam Curtis The Trap" on google video. The guy is an archivist by profession so his documentaries are full of great archive clips.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.878 seconds