October 09, 2023
2558 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2757 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Highlander: where did it go so wrong?

More
21 Jan 2009 06:48 #17730 by hancock.tom
THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE (highlander movie)

In other words, there is no highlander sequels (waives hand like jedi)

The later movies all sucked. The first movie sucked but it captured the essence of a really interesting fantasy concept, which ultimately was capitalized on by White Wolf through their Vampire the Masquerade and other products. The whole idea of "I'm a superhuman, but no one can know, except when I kick everyone's ass" is a great fantasy storyline and a great RPG trope.

Plus many other movies have fallen victim to the ass-sequel parade. Look at batman pre-Christopher Nolan. The first one, with Nicholson, was almost OK, the rest were awful steaming piles.

I don't think highlander makes a good board game, unfortunately. Much better suited for an RPG, if anyone could ever get the rights. There are a couple GREAT ports for Hero System out there, which makes combat interesting without a lot of sooper powers because of its granularity and detail level.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jan 2009 09:52 #17739 by Shellhead
Michael Barnes wrote:

I've only ever seen the first one and I thought it was pretty terrible. I remember seeing it in the theater and thinking it was weird that Connery was in something so cheap and sleazy.

I've never ever seen Zardoz, but it's supposedly one of the worst science-fiction movies of all time, and easily the worst movie that Sean Connery was ever in.

More
21 Jan 2009 09:58 #17741 by Shellhead
The tv show had a pretty good pilot episode, and actor Adrian Paul seemed very cool. And I enjoyed the novelty of a network tv show where decapitation was a regular plot point, at first. But that Richie character was super-annoying, and the exceptionally hot Tess left after the first season. I watched a few episodes here and there after that, just if I happened to tune in when it was on and I had nothing better to do.

One thing that I do remember fondly about the tv show was that I dated a woman for a while who swore that I looked like a cross between Adrian Paul and Jim Carrey.

The CCG had a cult following for a while, but it generally considered a failure, too. The game had these power cards that you were only supposed to use if you physically ripped them in half. The idea was probably inspired by tales of Iron Man Magic events, where player ripped opponents cards as they were sent to the graveyard.

More
21 Jan 2009 17:59 #17816 by metalface13

Didn't Buffy acknowledge the movie? I thought she moved to Sunnydale because of the events in the movie; she wrecked her high school and wasn't welcome there any more.

It did, but it also changed it. In the show they said Buffy burned down her old school gym, which didn't happen in the movie. Other than that, they just talked about how she always got in fights at her old school and was kicked out. Eventually they did a comic book version of the movie that was more in line with Whedon's original script.

There are five of them, actually. Sad, isn't it?

Five! Good lord why!

I've never ever seen Zardoz, but it's supposedly one of the worst science-fiction movies of all time, and easily the worst movie that Sean Connery was ever in.

Zardoz is TOTALLY BONKERS and therefore probably the best movie Sean Connery has ever been in.

More
21 Jan 2009 18:04 #17818 by Shellhead
Sean Connery, in Zardoz:

More
21 Jan 2009 18:30 #17820 by metalface13
Shellhead wrote:

Sean Connery, in Zardoz:

YESS!!

More
21 Jan 2009 22:10 #17825 by DeletedUser
Bloody Hell!

Next time warn us before posting a picture like that please.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds