October 09, 2023
2523 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2724 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Crap. I seem to have been bitten by the Games Workshop bug.

More
10 Jan 2019 09:42 - 10 Jan 2019 09:51 #289707 by El Cuajinais
And I think I know how it happened:

In looking to paint my Mice and Mystic expansions I debated for a while whether to contract the paint job or finally invest in a paint collection / new hobby tools etc. (I had some very old, very limited range of mostly dried Vallejo paints). Well I decided to get the Army Painter mega paint set for $95 on Amazon and everything went downhill from there. This resulted in me spending the last 3 weeks binge-watching mini painting youtube videos and general hobby videos. I’m amazed at how far the hobby has come with all new techniques being developed. And also at how the paint lines have developed with such specific washes, technical paints, effects paints, glazes, etc. Too bad I was painting in during my college years where none of these tutorial videos were available, the techniques were not as developed (wet palette and zenithal priming are game changers), the painting ranges were not as developed (good washes that barely muck up the initial paint are also gamechangers). Back in college I was mostly broke so I could not have afforded a good range of paints and washes anyway. What a difference these things make. Of course now that I can afford a decent paint range finding time to paint is a lot more difficult; and at 41 my eyesight has trouble focusing which makes it more difficult, even with the magnifying goggles I got from Amazon. Life is often cruel like that.

I still have a lot of M&M minis to paint, and a Battlelore 2nd ed. expansion to paint after that, but my new found skills and new paints have me wishing for slightly larger, and more detailed miniatures. So…

During the past 2 weeks have purchased the Age of Sigmar Core Book*, the Jan 2019 White Dwarf (which includes updated skirmish rules), and I have the Gloomspite Gitz Battletome on pre-order. I have not purchased any GW plastic yet. Plan is to continue to paint my boardgame minis while I read up on all the AoS lore and give GW time to come out with a Gloomspite Gitz “Start Collecting Set” or a “Kill Team equivalent” set for Age of Sigmar. That’s the plan, let’s see if I can execute it.

*$21.00 shipped, new in shrink, a very good, very common deal on eBay vs. the $60 retail price. This is a beautiful hardcover 322 page book with a ribbon bookmark, and TONS of art, lore, pictures, scenarios, etc. A great deal IMO.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2019 09:51 by El Cuajinais.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2019 09:54 #289709 by Josh Look
Welcome to where I was a month ago. Let me save you some time and money and tell you that correct course of action is Kill Team.

More
10 Jan 2019 10:08 #289711 by Gary Sax
There's a lot of discussion about those games here, front page stuff too, so you're in good hands. May I suggest our minis painting thread too? Lots of advice:

therewillbe.games/forum/34-pimp-my-game/...nis-are-you-painting
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
10 Jan 2019 12:36 - 10 Jan 2019 16:24 #289714 by GorillaGrody

Josh Look wrote: Welcome to where I was a month ago. Let me save you some time and money and tell you that correct course of action is Kill Team.

If he were getting into 40k, I’d agree. I really dislike large armies (though at this point I own a couple) and love these games at the Skirmish level. For whatever reason, Kill Team is still just as complicated as regular 40k at the smaller level, with legacy crustiness still caked all over the rule set.

I’m personally much more compelled by the minis, simple rules and nutty background of AoS, into which OP has already invested. While GW seems not to have plans to create an official KT-style AoS game (though people are screaming for it) there are good alternatives in terms of playing Path to Glory, Skirmish (updated in January’s White Dwarf) or smaller-point games.

Finally, I’m continuing to champion One Page Rules. They’re a free labor of love for the GW community, made by a guy who continually updates them and responds to his small community . The rules are the best out there, and they’re free. The only problem is that only a select few will play them, I guess because they’re free. onepagerules.com
Last edit: 10 Jan 2019 16:24 by GorillaGrody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
10 Jan 2019 13:34 #289720 by Cranberries
Mods, could we move this to the dedicated Games Workshop thread?

More
10 Jan 2019 13:42 #289721 by Gary Sax
Someone else can overrule me, but I think someone can post something about their experience with new GW games and how they got into them without being moved into one of the big perpetual threads. I err toward more threads and fewer 89 page compilations.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Cranberries, Msample, Josh Look, Colorcrayons, sornars

More
10 Jan 2019 14:45 #289724 by Jackwraith

El Cuajinais wrote: During the past 2 weeks have purchased the Age of Sigmar Core Book*, the Jan 2019 White Dwarf (which includes updated skirmish rules), and I have the Gloomspite Gitz Battletome on pre-order. I have not purchased any GW plastic yet. Plan is to continue to paint my boardgame minis while I read up on all the AoS lore and give GW time to come out with a Gloomspite Gitz “Start Collecting Set” or a “Kill Team equivalent” set for Age of Sigmar. That’s the plan, let’s see if I can execute it.

In nomine Patri, et Fili, et Spiritu Sancti: Requiescat in pace.

The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
10 Jan 2019 14:57 - 10 Jan 2019 19:57 #289725 by Cranberries
I think we all know what eventually happens to unpruned Games Workshop threads.

update: Upon further reflection, I'm giving myself a red card and excusing myself while I gather my thoughts and fix my home.

Last edit: 10 Jan 2019 19:57 by Cranberries.

More
10 Jan 2019 15:17 #289728 by jur
If you like painting, and even if you like GW games, consider two alternatives:

1. you should be able to get lots of cheap unpainted stuff from ebay
2. if you don't care about playing official tournaments but just play with friends, use miniatures from cheaper manufacturers. There's always something that's almost like GW

I really like some of the GW minis. I got lots of skaven in cheap deals. As long as you stay away from the heroes and big monsters and machines, the prices for plastics are not even that bad (considering the quality)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
10 Mar 2019 15:12 #293605 by n815e
Given how popular Cthulhu Wars seems here, you may already have enough demons to do a Chaos army.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
11 Mar 2019 05:13 #293631 by Matt Thrower

El Cuajinais wrote: Too bad I was painting in during my college years where none of these tutorial videos were available, the techniques were not as developed (wet palette and zenithal priming are game changers), the painting ranges were not as developed (good washes that barely muck up the initial paint are also gamechangers).

Does all this stuff really make that much of a difference? Some of my paints date - no word of a lie - from the 1980's. I'm still using the same techniques I did back then largely because I don't want to drop £100+ on an all-new range of paints.

Might have to look up those techniques tho.

GorillaGrody wrote: While GW seems not to have plans to create an official KT-style AoS game (though people are screaming for it) there are good alternatives in terms of playing Path to Glory, Skirmish (updated in January’s White Dwarf) or smaller-point games.

There's some speculation that WarCry is going to be Age of Sigmar Kill Team. But why wait when you've got a small scale AoS game already in Warhammer Underworlds?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds