October 09, 2023
2545 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2739 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Yomi

More
25 Apr 2011 16:24 #95006 by san il defanso
Yomi was created by san il defanso
I finished my print-and-play version of Yomi this weekend. It looks a lot better than I expected it would, as long as people don't mind the chintzy card backs. Dollar General playing cards ahoy!

It's a pretty terrific game. So far, my favorites are Rook and Lum, but that could obviously shift for anyone. My wife played a round with me this weekend. She was Valerie, and I was Lum. I think she got a little frustrated with the RPS aspect of it, since she didn't know the game or characters well enough to make really informed decisions on what I would do. I got her down to like six health, then I suddenly became unable to land another hit. She pounded away at me until she got me down to six health, and on the next turn I finally finished her off. Turns out she was just playing attack after attack because she was annoyed with the game. Doing better down the stretch improved her opinion of it, I think.

In the end, I think she was positive enough to play again, which I think is pretty necessary with Yomi. It was more fun for me after about 4 games. I like having my own copy too, although I started tooling with the online version again this weekend as well.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2011 17:55 #95029 by Delobius
Replied by Delobius on topic Re: Yomi
How did you do up the print-and-play? How much did it cost? I've been thinking about it but I'm not sure how it would work.

More
25 Apr 2011 18:03 #95030 by san il defanso
Replied by san il defanso on topic Re: Yomi
All said, it cost me about $50, not including the box I used to store it.

- $15 for the download
- $22 for print-outs at the UPS store. I don't have a reliable printer, so this was where I was expecting to dump the most money. UPS gave me a pretty good deal for 29c a page, and the print-outs look really good. I didn't print the player aid pages, but I probably will, since those really help when learning the game.
- $6 for 600 sleeves. I used the normal Ultra-Pro sleeves. They were pretty cheap, but they actually worked great.
- $6 for 6 packs of cards from Dollar General, two decks in each pack. They are lousy cards, but they fill their need of adding weight to the cards very well. A lot of people have old CCGs lying around, and can convert old cards for this game. That'd probably work great, although the playing cards came in exactly the size packs I needed, and the suits helped me figure out if something was missing somewhere.

Bagged all the decks, then put them in my empty box for Dominion: Alchemy. Turned out quite well.

Cutting the cards took a loooong time, but my wife has a little paper cutter for crafts and things like that, and it was perfect for this project. I think all of the cutting together took about 5 hours total, and another couple hours for sleeving the project.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds