October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2734 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Gen Con 2023

More
02 Aug 2023 15:37 #340131 by hotseatgames
Gen Con 2023 was created by hotseatgames
Who's headed to Indianapolis this week? I am going Friday only. Pete will also be there on Friday, set up most likely in the open gaming area with the Phantom Division prototype. It will also be Pete's birthday so buy him a beer!

Can this be the only Gen Con I've attended in which I don't buy something? Probably not.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sornars, Virabhadra

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2023 11:12 #340139 by Virabhadra
Replied by Virabhadra on topic Gen Con 2023
Will you be booth-bound or are you attending as a visitor?

1) There is a new password-gated section on Devious Weasel's website called "JENNA". Maybe the idea is to share the password in person?

2) If you see Matt Kindt, ask him "Have you ever had a dream that was like a story?"

3) Lorcana demo.

4) Captain Marvel and Spiderman promo energy cards for Marvel Champions. Not for me, for Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
03 Aug 2023 11:26 #340140 by hotseatgames
Replied by hotseatgames on topic Gen Con 2023
I'll definitely see Matt Kindt, he's my homie.

I'm wandering as a visitor. I've never had to work a booth outside of doing some demos for SEAL Team Flix in the Wizkids booth in 2018. That was a ton of fun, actually.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Virabhadra

More
04 Aug 2023 15:12 #340149 by Brewmiester
Replied by Brewmiester on topic Gen Con 2023
I'm planning on swinging by Sunday then Oppenheimer at the low rent IMAX.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
05 Aug 2023 07:13 - 05 Aug 2023 07:13 #340152 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Gen Con 2023
I'll be there in spirit with Pete (and via FB) ... I have chosen the very wet UK summer as my weekend event (as well as watching a heap of rugby on TV).
Last edit: 05 Aug 2023 07:13 by southernman.

More
06 Aug 2023 19:49 #340164 by hotseatgames
One day was not enough. I barely got to see anyone I had hoped to see, nor did I get through the entire dealer hall. It was packed.

Pete soldiered through a lot of demos and showed Phantom Division to several people, so that was great.

I only spent $35, and that was for the Cosmic Frog expansion, Find Muck. There was hundreds of dollars' worth of games I would have liked to purchase, but I just don't have the players, so it would have been a real waste. It also would have been a logistical nightmare since my day ended with True Dungeon, which was a good time, as always. Even with the requisite alpha gamers who take the game too seriously.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., Gary Sax, dysjunct, Jackwraith, sornars, n815e, Cappster_

More
07 Aug 2023 15:44 - 07 Aug 2023 16:24 #340177 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Gen Con 2023
Oooh, I am looking forward to hearing about that Cosmic Frog expansion. Does it fix anything?

Apparently a heist took place and $300,000 of trading cards walked out the door of Gencon. I'll be watching Pete's Instagram to see if he starts buying rare guitars.

Edit: (Finding Muck review) Finding Muck Review by our very own Mr. Theel
Last edit: 07 Aug 2023 16:24 by Cranberries. Reason: cleaned up URLS. And learned to accept the chaos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, Msample, SuperflyPete, Nodens

More
07 Aug 2023 16:10 #340179 by hotseatgames

Cranberries wrote: Oooh, I am looking forward to hearing about that Cosmic Frog expansion. Does it fix anything?

I don't think anything was broken, so in my opinion, no. From my perspective, it brings 3 elements to the table, and you can pick and choose them at will.

1. Mental combat, including 8 new frog powers and updated cards to add mental combat to the existing frog powers
2. Chip-based combat as opposed to dice, which can be interesting but will not be for everyone
3. Muck lands which enhance the outer dimensions and provide some scoring opportunities.

For me, the star of the show is the new frog powers. Mental combat can be added to the game with very little overhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, sornars

More
07 Aug 2023 20:34 #340184 by Hammy
Replied by Hammy on topic Gen Con 2023
First ever convention. Went as a helper with a company that coordinates demos for publishers. I was in the middle of demos for Blitzkrieg! when I saw a man at another table with a copy of Phantom Division. Didn't know who he was but I knew about the game, so I walked over after letting the players loose to ask about it. Turns out I happened to meet Pete himself! First time I ever met someone from this site in person.

His publisher failed to get him a demo spot so I pointed him to the open gaming area in a nearby hotel. Dude said he'd probably just head home as "there's vagina there" and gave me his card. If he actually did do demos for the game there, then I am bummed I missed out. Regardless, it was a really awesome encounter and it encouraged me to finally participate in this forum. If you see this SuperFlyPete, it was really cool to meet you! :laugh:

As for the topic of Devious Weasel's stuff, I decided to hold off on Find Muck as I only really care about the extra powers, but I did try to find a copy of Zimby Mojo. Asked one of the reps who didn't know, so they grabbed Jenna Felli herself and we chatted for a bit. She didn't have any copies at the booth, but she said she had a couple at her hotel and she would bring one for tomorrow and hide it under the table for me. I come back the next day and lo and behold, the game with her having signed it and a free copy of Bemused! Conventions are awesome man. I am hooked on this and will definitely plan on going to Origins and GenCon next year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, SuperflyPete, Sacco, sornars, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
08 Aug 2023 08:28 #340187 by hotseatgames
Thanks for pointing Pete to open gaming, he did do several demos. I'm glad you had fun at Gen Con!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hammy

More
08 Aug 2023 09:29 #340191 by Hammy
I'm glad he managed to get something out of it as he seemed frustrated with things when I spoke to him. Thankfully, he was nice enough to give me his card so who knows? Maybe I'll have a chance to try it out yet. STF has been on my wish list for years. When people like Dan and Charlie lavish praise on something like that, I pay attention. Also, thanks to you hotseatgames for making something cool like this. I will be paying attention for the relaunch of the game's campaign. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, hotseatgames, charlest

More
09 Aug 2023 10:05 #340204 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Gen Con 2023
Funny enough: John (the new member) sent me to the Marriott hotel, being very specific that it is the Marriott across the street, not the JW Marriott.

I go to there and ask around, turns out it’s the JW Marriott. I was laughing all the way there. My fat ass needed the steps anyhow. It was very nice to meet you, and also, it’s about time you joined up!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hammy

More
09 Aug 2023 10:41 #340205 by Hammy
Whoops! I actually got mixed up between those two looking for the consignment store the day before. Too many Mariotts too close together. XD

Although me and a couple friends ran into a Youtuber as a part of being lost, where him and one of my friends gaslit me into thinking they actually knew each other, so worth it.

Yeah, I've been reading stuff on this site for years but meeting you gave me the push to join. Also realizing that it's not just people who review games that join the forums. I sent you my email Pete, if you plan on coming up to Columbus, let me know. You owe me a game of Phantom Division! ;)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.205 seconds