October 09, 2023
2757 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2907 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Gen Con Roll Call

More
07 Aug 2010 04:12 #70159 by Stephen Avery
Replied by Stephen Avery on topic Re:Gen Con Roll Call
I observed Raveloft. It is very D&D 4e. feats, healing surges, movement and actions ect.

Damage is set instead of rolled and the monsters are programmed with a set of conditiions.

*If an adventurer is one space away do "X"

*If the adventurers are more than 5 spaces away do "Y"

That said, it looked very fun. It has 14 linked adventures culminating in facing down Straad.

Steve"evil one"Avery

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2010 14:47 #70166 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Gen Con Roll Call
If any of you guys can get into a civilization demo, I am *super* interested in hearing about the game.

More
08 Aug 2010 21:45 - 08 Aug 2010 21:46 #70224 by Mr MOTO
Replied by Mr MOTO on topic Re:Gen Con Roll Call
I had a blast meeting up with the F:AT crew and gaming with all. This year, I was forced (at gunpoint) to split up my time between three groups of peeps that I usually hang out with.

The GenCon funk level seemed down this year, though I still was able to catch some of that oh so precious scent.

The cons numbers seemed at or above previous years from my general impression of the crowd levels in the exhibit hall, but I self medicated with 24HR decongestants and antihistamines the entire time.

I am pretty damn sure I am going to buy one of the custom gaming tables (the coffee table edition) those are the freakin bomb and can be totally covert when hosting non gamer friends and associates. I'm not sure how I can hide my seven full size pinball machines and the video game in my basement from the uninitiated but I'll figure out something.

Steve, I didn't see JT at the con this year, or else I'd had introduced you to him.

BillyZ, I think I saw you briefly at the eatery, but then Steve and Dan hid all the rest of the F:AT crew from me that night after I had dropped off some things in my car. Hopefully we can catch up at another GC or some other rondevous.

City of thieves was flying off the shelves, Alchemist and Steve should be able to give us their impressions on it.

Zev was there in full force and I picked up Perry Rhodan. Was the Earth Reborn at the con a prototype? I took some quick pics, I'll check to see if any of them turned out well.

There was another Dominion clone that some of my amigos were raving about from a smaller company. I enjoyed Richard's 'house' rules Thunderstone with expansion quite a bit. I'd much rather play his version of that game than Dominion any day. And probably that other new clone too from what I saw of the gameplay.

I picked up Lifeboat (without the new expansion) and Rowboat, more of a traditional card taking game with a few twists from a smaller press company.

The low point of the con was when a very large group of one of my groups decided to go to Hard Rock Cafe to eat supper... Crap service, crap food, expensive, and a complimentary 18% tip to boot.

All in all it was great times, great gaming, and great people.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2010 21:46 by Mr MOTO.

More
08 Aug 2010 22:05 #70228 by Stonecutter
Replied by Stonecutter on topic Re:Gen Con Roll Call
Mr MOTO wrote:

I am pretty damn sure I am going to buy one of the custom gaming tables (the coffee table edition) those are the freakin bomb and can be totally covert when hosting non gamer friends and associates. I'm not sure how I can hide my seven full size pinball machines and the video game in my basement from the uninitiated but I'll figure out something.

...what now? I'm intrigued.

More
08 Aug 2010 23:31 #70233 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Gen Con Roll Call
Yeah, those are super cool. A couple grand, but the fact that it's a decent looking table that you can hide your ongoing games in while still using it is pretty bomb.

More
09 Aug 2010 10:04 #70277 by Mr MOTO
Stonecutter wrote:

...what now? I'm intrigued.

About my basement or the tables? I'll assume the former.

The website for the place is www.geekchichq.com/ and while they make some just obscene (and gaudy) mega tables, they also make some 2x3, 2x4, 3x3, and 4x4 coffee tables that offer a sunken area with full table area clear plexiglass overlay allowing a game to be played, and saved for the next gaming session. Drawers and way cool instantly removable side cupholders and holding bins are optional add ons.

The coffee table model is called the Hoplite, has a more contemporary style, so when in stealth mode, no one would even know that there is anything special about it.

The site isn't updated to reflect the Hoplite. I'll see if the pics I took look ok and will post a few. You have choices of cherry, maple, or walnut and these tales are solid wood, no particle board horsecrap.

More
09 Aug 2010 10:59 #70283 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re:Gen Con Roll Call
Mr MOTO wrote:

The low point of the con was when a very large group of one of my groups decided to go to Hard Rock Cafe to eat supper... Crap service, crap food, expensive, and a complimentary 18% tip to boot.

The other guys at that deal said the same thing, but the upside was (from what I hear) where NoBeerBlues (Jerry) took on a gang of Korean bikers. Did you catch that on the way Moto?

Let's not forget how your buddy got assaulted in that one room with a lamp and a full bottle of beer while a large man wearing a half-shirt gave me a giant man-hug!

ROFL Gencon rocks. 'nuff said.

More
09 Aug 2010 12:56 #70297 by Mr MOTO
superflytnt wrote:

Mr MOTO wrote:

The other guys at that deal said the same thing, but the upside was (from what I hear) where NoBeerBlues (Jerry) took on a gang of Korean bikers. Did you catch that on the way Moto?

Let's not forget how your buddy got assaulted in that one room with a lamp and a full bottle of beer while a large man wearing a half-shirt gave me a giant man-hug!

ROFL Gencon rocks. 'nuff said.

I didn't catch the ninja biker (almost) battle but the flying man/beer/lamp was amusing.

More
09 Aug 2010 13:07 - 09 Aug 2010 13:15 #70302 by Mr MOTO
I'll attempt to add pics of the two styles of the gaming (electronic or board)coffee table here.

Attachments:
Last edit: 09 Aug 2010 13:15 by Mr MOTO.

More
09 Aug 2010 13:25 #70305 by billyz
Replied by billyz on topic Re:Gen Con Roll Call
Hey moto--- who the hell were you again? I've been trying to figure it out for the past few hours and I can't put a face to you.

Or a name for that matter.

More
09 Aug 2010 13:56 #70311 by billyz
Hey moto--- who the hell were you again? I've been trying to figure it out for the past few hours and I can't put a face to you.

Or a name for that matter.

More
09 Aug 2010 15:09 #70326 by Mr MOTO
I'm the king of the world, baby, that's who I am!

I'll decode my identity in a PM, lol.

More
09 Aug 2010 16:27 #70335 by Last Alchemist
Replied by Last Alchemist on topic Re:Gen Con Roll Call
It was good times meeting everyone over the weekend. You definitely made my GenCon experience even better than in previous years. As soon as I recover for a few days I will do a big write up of all of the events, and my thoughts on what I saw.

Until that time, here is a preview:

Steve Avery never once wore a tank top during the convention, which shocked me.

Dan
a.k.a Comic Sans
a.k.a. Dave
a.k.a. Last Alchemist

More
09 Aug 2010 17:50 #70350 by billyz
Okay, so what's up with comic sans?

More
09 Aug 2010 21:23 #70376 by Last Alchemist
Replied by Last Alchemist on topic Re:Gen Con Roll Call
billyz wrote:

Okay, so what's up with comic sans?

When Richard and I first started talking he asked me if I had played Defenders of the Realm yet. I said no, but that i was interested in trying it out. I also happened to mention that I thought the use of the Comic Sans font in the design was a lazy choice on the part of Eagle. After that every time Richard would attack me in Cosmic he would say it was the Comic Sans ships coming to attack.

I would say it was one of those "you had to be there" moments, but you were Billy, right on the other side of me.

Missed seeing you after that first night buddy. Hope you had a good rest of the Con.

Dan

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.979 seconds