October 09, 2023
2594 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2789 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Trashdome - DOOM: The Board Game VS Space Hulk

More
04 Sep 2009 12:30 #40468 by Rliyen
TO THE LEFT! OVERWATCH!

Vote: Space Hulk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2009 14:37 #40491 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Space Hulk, like Cosmic Encounter, is just of those pure designs they got really right. It is simple, fast and doesn't have a huge amount of overhead. No comparison.

My vote is for Space Hulk (and it would have been the same a year ago).

More
04 Sep 2009 14:41 #40493 by OldHippy
Doom got more

I like more

DOOM

More
04 Sep 2009 14:53 #40494 by maka
This should have been posted a bit later on, when most of us would have been able to actually play our new copies :) That said, I preoredered Space Hulk as soon as I saw it was going to get reprinted, while my interest in Doom has never been that high...

More
04 Sep 2009 15:02 #40496 by ChristopherMD
Space Hulk's been around for 20 years. How much longer do you fuckers need?

More
04 Sep 2009 15:21 #40498 by maka
A couple of days will do. Thanks :p

More
04 Sep 2009 16:02 #40503 by Mr MOTO

The ultimate AT game IMHO. If you liked the movies Alien or Aliens, and wanted to relive the tension of a squad of space marines on a mission to rescue hostages on a derelict spacecraft and while hoards of aliens (first appearing as blips on your movement sensors) rain down upon you at breakneck speed with awesome melee abilities, then Space Hulk is the game for you. AP players need not apply because they will lose...quickly.

Cover your angles and move as one unit, Marines, and hope that your weapons fire true.

More
04 Sep 2009 17:44 #40507 by MrZir
Mr MOTO wrote:

If you liked the movies Alien or Aliens, and wanted to relive the tension of a squad of space marines on a mission to rescue hostages on a derelict spacecraft and while hoards of aliens (first appearing as blips on your movement sensors) rain down upon you at breakneck speed with awesome melee abilities, then Space Hulk is the game for you.

Alien/Aliens are still among my favorite movies and have been since I first saw them at 5 years of age. (It was a rite of passage to finally get myself to watch them again, some years later) So this is no contest for me.

Space Hulk

More
05 Sep 2009 00:25 #40524 by DeletedUser

I just spent a crapload of money on this sumbitch, so I better follow through and vote for it too.

Doom has never made it to my "must buy" list.

More
05 Sep 2009 18:18 #40557 by Citadel
I liked Doom but I'm not that into cooperative gaming. The games are good but I prefer more control.

The new edition of Space Hulk is the most beautiful board game I have ever seen. GW have raised the bar for component quality.

I also prefer the background to Space Hulk.

More
05 Sep 2009 21:47 #40566 by Merkles
VOTE: Space Hulk.

Why? Well, I'm going to break down and buy it this weekend...so it better kick butt! I like the idea of two player. I like the idea of Alien setting. I like the idea of a simpler rule set and faster playing time. Need to find a place online to order it.

I am dreading putting it together---hell, I failed every other attempt at modeling in my life. I STILL have models from the 1970s that I thought were cool and never put together. Sprue cutters, glue, files....holy crap. But I'm doing it anyways. I must be screwed up.

More
06 Sep 2009 09:21 #40588 by Mr Skeletor
Merkles wrote:

VOTE: Space Hulk.

Why? Well, I'm going to break down and buy it this weekend...so it better kick butt! I like the idea of two player. I like the idea of Alien setting. I like the idea of a simpler rule set and faster playing time. Need to find a place online to order it.

I am dreading putting it together---hell, I failed every other attempt at modeling in my life. I STILL have models from the 1970s that I thought were cool and never put together. Sprue cutters, glue, files....holy crap. But I'm doing it anyways. I must be screwed up.

Use cutters to get the pieces off the sprue. I can't stress that enough.
Don't worry about glue - I didn't use any and the pieces stay together fine. The assembly is actually quite simple, just dont force anything. If something isn't fitting move it around until you find the correct 'place' where it will slip in.

More
06 Sep 2009 10:29 #40589 by kookoobah
I'm voting for Space Hulk because I only ever considered buying Doom because Space Hulk was OOP.

Bought Space Hulk the moment I found out it was available locally. :D :D :D

More
06 Sep 2009 10:35 #40591 by Merkles
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Merkles wrote:

VOTE: Space Hulk....I am dreading putting it together---hell, I failed every other attempt at modeling in my life. I STILL have models from the 1970s that I thought were cool and never put together. Sprue cutters, glue, files....holy crap. But I'm doing it anyways. I must be screwed up.

Use cutters to get the pieces off the sprue. I can't stress that enough.
Don't worry about glue - I didn't use any and the pieces stay together fine. The assembly is actually quite simple, just dont force anything. If something isn't fitting move it around until you find the correct 'place' where it will slip in.

Do I need to buy sprue cutters? I saw Van bought some from Hobby Lobby for 5 bucks or so, but I'm literally in the middle of the corn an hour away from somewhere like that. Online I can buy some of those Testor cutters for about 14 bucks shipped...but are needlenose cutting pliers about the same thing? Or is it worth buying the sprue cutters?

More
06 Sep 2009 11:11 #40594 by southernman
Well, I was going to post - 'Own Doom, haven't played either, no vote' but I went into town this afternoon and showed absolutely no will power, so I now have to post:

Own both, haven't played either, no vote.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds