October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOOK(s) are you reading? ARCHIVE

More
10 Nov 2010 09:08 #79035 by Notahandle
JacobMartin wrote:
" Anyways, it's an epic read that will last me the summer."
Summer? Over here it's a miserable wet, cold November. Can I move to your town?
The topic has been locked.
More
10 Nov 2010 09:11 #79036 by JacobMartin
Notahandle wrote:

JacobMartin wrote:
Summer? Over here it's a miserable wet, cold November. Can I move to your town?

It was miserable and wet here today too, but it's not like that most of the time.
More
10 Nov 2010 09:34 #79043 by Columbob
JacobMartin wrote:

Good for you, but are you only reading 3 pages a day or what? That's probably less than what you could read on the can.
More
10 Nov 2010 12:09 #79072 by Almalik
Unabridged les Miserables, just so I can look pretentious. Halfway through, another 750 pages to go, probably wouldn't recommend it unless it picks up in the last two sections.
More
16 Nov 2010 17:27 #79628 by Rliyen
Reading Kwaidan by Lafacdio Hearn. I've seen the Kobayashi movie of the same name, but never got around to getting the book. So far, it's pretty good.

Thank you, Archive.org!
More
16 Nov 2010 17:50 #79634 by Shellhead
I finished The House in the High Wood, and it was pretty good. At first, it seemed like it was ending in a predictable way, but then there was a shocking twist.

Now I'm reading Moonheart, by Charles de Lint, and I can totally see where White Wolf got the idea for the Umbra. It's an okay read, and reminds me a bit of The House on the Borderlands, by William Hope Hodgson. The plot isn't thrilling so far, but the characters are somewhat interesting. I guess that I tend to prefer plot-driven stories over character-driven stories.
More
23 Dec 2010 18:39 #82909 by Shellhead
I am more than halfway through The Living Dead, a large collection of zombie short stories. I've been feeling burned out on the whole zombie thing for a while now, but I have always been a fan of good horror stories. This collection includes stories by:

Clive Barker
Stephen King
George R.R. Martin
Laurell K. Hamilton
Neil Gaiman
Poppy Z. Brite
and a bunch of other writers, including Joe R. Lansdale

The quality is uneven, but the selection is surprisingly diverse, dealing with such surprising topics as politics, abortion, and the Stockholm Syndrome. The Barker and King stories disappointed me, but the Hamilton was okay... much better than I expected from the author of those trashy Anita Blake books. I haven't finished the Lansdale story yet, but it reminds in good ways of works by an earlier Texan: Pigeons from Hell and the Solomon Kane stories. Clocking in at nearly 500 pages, this is a damn good collection.

www.amazon.com/Living-Dead-John-Joseph-Adams/dp/1597801437
More
23 Dec 2010 21:47 #82920 by jeb
Shellhead wrote:

...but the Hamilton was okay... much better than I expected from the author of those trashy Anita Blake books. I haven't finished the Lansdale story yet, but it reminds in good ways of works by an earlier Texan: Pigeons from Hell and the Solomon Kane stories. Clocking in at nearly 500 pages, this is a damn good collection.

www.amazon.com/Living-Dead-John-Joseph-Adams/dp/1597801437

She's the only author I have ever failed to finish a graphic novel for. Her vampire book was at the library and looked like decent art--I've read almost everything they have there but I just put this down after the first or second chapter. Utter shit. I can't believe this junk is getting sold.

I'm reading Gene Wolfe now. It's going OK, but goddamn does it like another Reluctant Messiah story.
More
23 Dec 2010 23:44 #82926 by mikoyan
Recent books:
The Tiger - Forget the author but this was a book about a tiger that ends up hunting and killing this hunter in Russia and a group of people that are supposed to protect tigers have to go hunt him down. It was a pretty good book and went quite a bit into the habits of tigers. In this case Siberian Tigers.

The Wolverine Way - Doug Chadwick - About a study of wolverines in Glacier Mountain. PRetty good book because they learned alot more about wolverines than they knew before.

The Dead Hand - Forget the Author - I'm in the middle of this book but it is about the waning days of the Cold War. It covers some of the darker aspects of the Soviet Weapons programs.
More
24 Dec 2010 03:16 #82928 by KingPut
I just finished The War That Made America by Fred Anderson. After reading a bunch of American Rev. books over the last 18 months I moving back in time a little in history to the French and Indian War. Now I'm excited about playing some Wilderness War, Quebec 1759 or Hold the Line F&I war scenerios in 2011. In my our last game of Quebec 1759 we joked about Wolf dying in our game. Now I know he really was killed in Quebec campaign. Anderson has some interesting ideas about how the French & Indian War lead to the American Rev.
More
24 Dec 2010 10:07 #82937 by Merkles
KingPut wrote:

I just finished The War That Made America by Fred Anderson. After reading a bunch of American Rev. books over the last 18 months I moving back in time a little in history to the French and Indian War. quote]

Great book, isn't it. The Crucible of War is the longer, slightly more academic work that it is taken from---those that are interested should read that as well. Great, great book. If you're playing Wilderness War, read this book.

For American Revolution--for non-academics--read David Hackett Fischer's works--- Washington's Crossing (covers NY City/Long Island, Trenton, Princeton) and Paul Revere's Ride (All of early New England campaigns)

More
24 Dec 2010 11:20 #82940 by KingPut
Merkles wrote:

For American Revolution--for non-academics--read David Hackett Fischer's works--- Washington's Crossing (covers NY City/Long Island, Trenton, Princeton) and Paul Revere's Ride (All of early New England campaigns)

Fischer's Washington's Crossing is the book that kicked off my slight obsession with Revolutionary War books and games. Excellent read. I'll have to check out Paul Revere's Ride.
More
25 Dec 2010 21:01 #82996 by ChristopherMD
I'm reading the Resident Evil Archives. Its like reading an RE RPG core book wirhout any rules in it. Complete storyline of the first five games, character bios, monster bios, item lists, etc. Along with tons of screenshots, artwork, and concept art. I may use it as a supplement for All Flesh Must Be Eaten RPG.

On my Kindle I'm reading Breakfast Of Champions by Kurt Vonnegut. I read a bunch of his novels in my teens, but this is the first recently. I'm really enjoying it so far.
More
25 Dec 2010 23:12 #83003 by Sagrilarus
KingPut wrote:

Merkles wrote:

Fischer's Washington's Crossing is the book that kicked off my slight obsession with Revolutionary War books and games. Excellent read. I'll have to check out Paul Revere's Ride.

I liked The Road to Guilford Courthouse for the second half of the war.

S.
More
26 Dec 2010 08:16 #83014 by JacobMartin
I just finished Dune. I have a very hazy impression of the ending since I fell asleep shortly after reading it and had strange dreams again. Good book though, they don't make space opera like this anymore.

Currently reading the indie sandwich that is Dash and Lily's Book of Dares, which was collaborated with David Leviathan - who for some reason writes gay characters very well and very often. He's also notorious for writing what my brother's girlfriend calls "indie sandwiches" - as in, a mouthful of indie culture/cultural references.

I've also got a nice hardcover of Heavier Than Heaven, the Kurt Cobain biography which refers to Cobain in the third person, which is somewhat of a comfort for me because I'm used to Biography Channel and the like having their docos talk about musos in the third person. Strange, I know, but it's comforting.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.405 seconds