October 09, 2023
2551 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2746 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
12 Aug 2018 09:45 #279610 by repoman
I watched and loved Babylon Berlin a while back. Subsequently I tried to listen to the original book on audio.

I think this is a rare occasion where the show is greater than the source material. Don't know if it was not a great book or the translation was uninspired or the reader not great that makes this so.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Aug 2018 11:45 #279614 by Grudunza
I recommended my daughter check out Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, and now I'm watching through it again with her. Loved it the first time. Really love it the second. 50's housewife, Midge Maisel, accidentally becomes a stand-up comedian, interacting (fictionally) with some luminaries of the time like Lenny Bruce and Red Skelton. The energy and style of this show is so incredibly charming, and the dynamic between Midge and her manager, Susie, is probably going to be one of the great friendships/partnerships in TV history. Outstanding show. Amazon Prime, y'all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, DarthJoJo

More
12 Aug 2018 19:38 #279622 by Black Barney
I've started season 4 of The Larry Sanders Show which I hear is the best season and I think that's true so far. I'm having more lol moments per episode than others. I think replacing Darlene (Hank's assistant) with Scott Thompson was an insanely good move. The scene of him making cappuccinos too hot had me in stitches.

Since the show was of a mock talk show, there were lots of cultural references in the jokes. I am flabbergasted that a show in the early to mid 90's had this many jokes about Hillary Clinton in jail. It's astonishing. I don't even remember jokes about her back then (I thought it was all O.J. all the time)

More
13 Aug 2018 13:17 #279663 by Gregarius
I second Grudunza's rec of Mrs. Maisel. Really wonderful.

More
13 Aug 2018 21:39 #279704 by ChristopherMD
Finished watching The Terror and it was excellent. I remember learning about the expedition in school when I was a kid. Never heard the part about the evil bear though. Second half of the season seemed to rush forward but it didn't interfere with my enjoyment of the story.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, stoic, charlest

More
14 Aug 2018 08:38 - 14 Aug 2018 08:39 #279720 by charlest
I'm watching Sharp Objects (Murder mystery? Amy Adams? HBO? I'm in). And it's a bit slow. I'm three episodes in and the acting is top notch, I also dig the fragmented story telling thing with flashbacks to her youth. It's pretty suffocatingly dark though and I've been a little grossed out at times.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2018 08:39 by charlest.

More
14 Aug 2018 09:41 - 14 Aug 2018 09:42 #279729 by Matt Thrower
Old news to most of you, but slogging my way through season two of the Handmaid's Tale. At the halfway point.

It's grim work, and sometimes unsatisfying. The revelation that the Handmaids are not the only fertile women in Gilead is problematic for various reasons. It rather calls into the question the entire premise of the show, and makes the already difficult on-screen cruelty harder to bear or to justify. All that suffering now seems rather unnecessary, brutality for the sake of it.

At the same time, the writing is very sharp offering an unrelenting mirror to the everyday suffering women experience in modern society all over the world. I was particularly taken by the way that episode 6 offered a metaphor for the way patriarchy also imprisons men to some extent, in the relationship between Nick and Eden.

I'm surprised to find that although all my sympathies lie with the handmaids, Serena is perhaps the most interesting character. Her acting in the scene, in the same episode, where she rebukes June for asking to see Hannah is quite brilliant. And I'm not sure what the directorial intent was in showing her facing down angry, abusive protesters prior to Gilead, but my entire support was behind the frothing crowds calling her a fascist.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2018 09:42 by Matt Thrower.

More
14 Aug 2018 10:36 #279734 by Black Barney
I'm in season five of Larry Sanders Show now, so hopefully I'll be able to finish this and next season in the next 2-3 days. This David Duchovny stuff is great. The whole thing is great.

One thing that sticks out as a real anomaly to me is why are there actual musical acts in some of the episodes? Don't get me wrong, it's fun to watch performances and the Clint Black performance was incredible, but this is a show about a mock TV late talk show, it's not actually an actual talk show, so why are there actual musical acts? What a weird decision to incorporate that into the show. I still like them though.

More
22 Aug 2018 17:29 #280160 by repoman
Disenchantment a Netflix original.

Apparently this is show created by Matt Groening creator of The Simpsons and Josh Weinstein who was a producer and writer on The Simpsons and Futurama.

What can I say about this show other than it is super unfunny. I've made it through 20 minutes of episode 1 and I've had to turn it off. Just garbage, utter complete garbage. You know how the last 10 to 15 years of The Simpsons sucked or how the Netflix produced episodes of Futurama sucked. Yah, this sucks like that.

More
22 Aug 2018 18:25 #280166 by Gary Sax
I've heard the exact same thing from others, repo. Definitely will miss it.

More
22 Aug 2018 19:15 #280177 by stoic

repoman wrote: Disenchantment a Netflix original.

Apparently this is show created by Matt Groening creator of The Simpsons and Josh Weinstein who was a producer and writer on The Simpsons and Futurama.

What can I say about this show other than it is super unfunny. I've made it through 20 minutes of episode 1 and I've had to turn it off. Just garbage, utter complete garbage. You know how the last 10 to 15 years of The Simpsons sucked or how the Netflix produced episodes of Futurama sucked. Yah, this sucks like that.

I tried watching it, but, it just isn't funny. It's dreary and watching it is laborious. It should have never been made and I don't understand how it got a green light.

More
22 Aug 2018 20:08 #280179 by Michael Barnes
God it’s awful. Have you noticed how much weird silence is in it?

The writing is abysmal- non stop hackneyed jokes, barely inspiring even a smirk. None of the characters are funny or endearing.

I bet Netflix execs were like “well, shit” when they screened it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
22 Aug 2018 20:13 #280181 by Disgustipater
Netflix needs to put constraints on run times to force a little creativity on creators.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
22 Aug 2018 21:01 #280185 by WadeMonnig

Michael Barnes wrote: God it’s awful. Have you noticed how much weird silence is in it?

Totally off topic but I was recently watching the animated reconstruction of Patrick Troughtons Doctor Who Dalek episode which name escapes me. The pacing and dialogue execution is so different from modern shows. It just really stood out in this (horribly) animated version. It is not wrong by any means, it is just so non frenetic.

More
22 Aug 2018 21:03 #280186 by repoman
To get the filthy taste of Disenchantment out of my brain, I watched a first season episode of the original Hawaii 5-0 on CBS All Access.

Ya know what? As far as cop shows go it's pretty damn good. No "zoom and enhance" magic nor "clickity clickity - I'm in" hacking into the nuclear launch computer crap like modern shows. Just good old fashioned "Gimme a list of every main lander with brown eyes that's come to the island in the last six months", stake outs, car chases with big ass Mercury automobiles and the all time classic line "What's the word on the street, Kono?"

Aww yah, that's the good stuff. And the never ending screech of those shitty ass bias tires. You kids don't know nuthin' bout that.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.593 seconds