October 09, 2023
2575 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2771 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What TV SHOWS are you watching?

More
20 Dec 2018 09:00 #288516 by Shellhead
ThirstyMan drank all the Kool-Aids.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2018 10:16 - 20 Dec 2018 10:17 #288527 by Grudunza
Lost: journey > destination

BSG was a great run, including the destination. Yes, the finale was a bit goofy, but it was *something,* whereas that Lost ending was just ohhhhhh no, come on, don't just be purgatory, they said it wasn't gonna be purgatory, oh shit, it's purgatory...

Both were examples of making up entire seasons and arcs on the fly because they had no expectation that it would last. And both were largely successful at that, with some dips here and there. And even at their lowest points, they were still in better hands and more interesting to watch than most of the copycat shows that followed.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2018 10:17 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mtagge

More
20 Dec 2018 10:50 #288531 by ChristopherMD

ThirstyMan wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

engineer Al wrote: Oh, and that BOB DYLAN thing was HORRIBLE!

Yeah, it was a complete misfit for the show. Suddenly Bob Dylan exists on this other planet and they know his music? When it first happened I thought it was something thought up by a 12 year old dungeon master. I understood the concept, but boy was it ham-fisted.

As for Then-Sag and Now-Sag, Then-Sag was looking for broody sci-fi and not finding it on TV. There had been some, UFO certainly had some grit going on and it was from two decades prior. But all in all TV was not offering much to choose from on that issue short of showing films.

WOW! You really didn't understand the concept at all did you? IT WASN'T ANOTHER PLANET

I'm pretty sure the song originated on the Earth that got irradiated not the Earth they found at the end that Bob Dylan lives on. However, it did fit with the shows "its all happened before and will all happen again" mantra. They smoked cigarettes and wore high-heels in the colonies just like we later do on Earth, etc, etc.

More
20 Dec 2018 11:15 - 20 Dec 2018 11:16 #288532 by Black Barney

san il defanso wrote:

engineer Al wrote:

san il defanso wrote: I introduced my kids to Star Trek last night by showing them "The Trouble With Tribble." it was a big hit, I think I'm about to watch more Trek than anytime since middle school.

I LOVE that story! What are you going to watch next? How old are your kids?

They are six and eight. I was worried the old production values would be a turn-off, but I realized that they were responding well to the much-worse production values of classic Doctor Who, and I further realized that there was a pile of Star Trek available right on Netflix.

Since I started with a lighter story, the next one I considered was "Balance of Terror," so they could see a more martial episode. They are interested in checking out all of the series though, particularly TNG. My older son actually asked to try out a TNG story, so I might do that next. The nice thing about Star Trek is that you can jump around and pick and choose what to watch without much worry for continuity.

For TNG I was thinking something like "Yesterday's Enterprise," or "Cause and Effect," a personal favorite of mine. Something that is more introductory might be better though, I've read a lot of recommendations for "Measure of a Man."

Definitely open to any suggestions. Almost all of my Trek exposure came when I was an adolescent, and I haven't really dug into it much since then. A lot of episodes that I imagine to be good are actually pretty murky in my memory.

Measure of a Man is too heavy for kids. It’s hard recommending Trek episodes to people that don’t know the characters. Inner Light is my favourite but you really have to know Picard to appreciate it fully. Darmok is probably your best bet as it might be the best Trek episode of all the shows combined. Kids might be scared of the beast though.

Yesterday’s Enterprise is too heavy for kids and less impactful if you don’t know Tasha or Guinan very well. Lots of death too. It struck me super emotionally last time I saw it when Tasha and the Lieutenant embrace in the transporter room .

Kids will love Best of Both Worlds cuz it has tons of action.

Cause and Effect is one of my favourites too, great choice
Last edit: 20 Dec 2018 11:16 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
20 Dec 2018 13:48 #288549 by ThirstyMan

ChristopherMD wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

Yeah, it was a complete misfit for the show. Suddenly Bob Dylan exists on this other planet and they know his music? When it first happened I thought it was something thought up by a 12 year old dungeon master. I understood the concept, but boy was it ham-fisted.

As for Then-Sag and Now-Sag, Then-Sag was looking for broody sci-fi and not finding it on TV. There had been some, UFO certainly had some grit going on and it was from two decades prior. But all in all TV was not offering much to choose from on that issue short of showing films.

WOW! You really didn't understand the concept at all did you? IT WASN'T ANOTHER PLANET

I'm pretty sure the song originated on the Earth that got irradiated not the Earth they found at the end that Bob Dylan lives on. However, it did fit with the shows "its all happened before and will all happen again" mantra. They smoked cigarettes and wore high-heels in the colonies just like we later do on Earth, etc, etc.

That's because the planet they end up in, is our Earth today. Why did you think there were scenes about AI and marketing AI at the end of the show on our Earth?

More
20 Dec 2018 13:58 #288550 by ChristopherMD

ThirstyMan wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

That's because the planet they end up in, is our Earth today. Why did you think there were scenes about AI and marketing AI at the end of the show on our Earth?

Do you not remember the irradiated/apocalypse planet they went to first? That is where the song was from that the cylons were hearing. Bob Dylan rediscovered it on our Earth much later. The show uses it as a sign the end times are near on both Earths.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
20 Dec 2018 14:28 #288555 by ThirstyMan

ChristopherMD wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

Do you not remember the irradiated/apocalypse planet they went to first? That is where the song was from that the cylons were hearing. Bob Dylan rediscovered it on our Earth much later. The show uses it as a sign the end times are near on both Earths.

The key reveal was that the entire series takes place in the prehistoric past not the far future. The activation signal was therefore seeded into the distant ancestral past of the human race and eventually picked up by Dylan but the signal was from a far earlier time. The fact that there was an apocalypse on the Earth of the final five, simply means that the activation code was inserted into our Earth's genetic past by the eponymous heroes of BSG. The entire show was, of course, about breaking long held cycles of violence (or at least attempting to).

More
20 Dec 2018 14:40 #288556 by ChristopherMD

ThirstyMan wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

The key reveal was that the entire series takes place in the prehistoric past not the far future. The activation signal was therefore seeded into the distant ancestral past of the human race and eventually picked up by Dylan but the signal was from a far earlier time. The fact that there was an apocalypse on the Earth of the final five, simply means that the activation code was inserted into our Earth's genetic past by the eponymous heroes of BSG. The entire show was, of course, about breaking long held cycles of violence (or at least attempting to).

Nothing was sent into the past. The song was from Earth 1 or earlier. All of what happened on Earth 1 happened centuries before they arrive on our Earth (Earth 2) at the end of the series. The song didn't originate with Dylan then get sent backwards through time. Dylan rediscovered it just like regeneration was rediscovered on Earth 1 just before their apocalypse. It is a repeating cycle but its not a circle.

More
20 Dec 2018 19:23 #288575 by mtagge

Grudunza wrote: Lost: journey > destination

BSG was a great run, including the destination. Yes, the finale was a bit goofy, but it was *something,* whereas that Lost ending was just ohhhhhh no, come on, don't just be purgatory, they said it wasn't gonna be purgatory, oh shit, it's purgatory...

Both were examples of making up entire seasons and arcs on the fly because they had no expectation that it would last. And both were largely successful at that, with some dips here and there. And even at their lowest points, they were still in better hands and more interesting to watch than most of the copycat shows that followed.

I agree generally (Starbuck as Jesus due to an indirect intervention by an all powerful diety was garbage). I did watch both from beginning to end, although I did it in a binge fashion after everything was released. Not sure I would have been able to do so during the initial run waiting six months from the end of one season until the start of the next one for either show.

While I did enjoy most of the time I spent watching those two shows (I had a newborn so wasn't exactly going out in the evenings), they were both clearly without a tactical plan. The problem is some of their plot points (inserted to retain viewers) left them handcuffed in the future and didn't fit in with an overall arc. That doesn't make the shows bad, but IMO it prevents them from carrying the title of best.

I like san il defanso's defense of the show. However I watched JJ admit in the director's commentary that everything said was untrue at the time (after season 1 but greenlit for season 2). Who am I to believe, you now or JJ in an interview he gave at the time? I'm sure as the series continued he tried to build it into what you said, but that didn't exist at the time. I also remember academics argue that LotR had more symbology than Tolkien gave it, such as Isengard representing industrialization and the Ents the purity of nature. Tolkien himself said that was nonsense.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
20 Dec 2018 19:35 #288577 by san il defanso
Abrams basically only directed the pilot and stepped aside after that. If memory serves, he had very little to do with the show past that. Anyway, any planning in season one was limited to that season I think. It was only after Damon Lindelof arrived that they mapped the theology and overall plot more thoroughly. Not that they followed it closely all the time, or even landed there, but that's always been my understanding.

More
20 Dec 2018 19:52 #288579 by Shellhead
Lindelof is the POS who ruined Prometheus. He ruined Lost as well, by any reasonable standard.

More
20 Dec 2018 21:05 #288581 by Disgustipater
He ruins everything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
20 Dec 2018 22:48 #288584 by Cranberries
I want to know what Mtagge was doing in Moscow, and if Mtagge has seen The Americans.

More
21 Dec 2018 05:40 #288591 by ThirstyMan

ChristopherMD wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote:

ChristopherMD wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

Nothing was sent into the past. The song was from Earth 1 or earlier. All of what happened on Earth 1 happened centuries before they arrive on our Earth (Earth 2) at the end of the series. The song didn't originate with Dylan then get sent backwards through time. Dylan rediscovered it just like regeneration was rediscovered on Earth 1 just before their apocalypse. It is a repeating cycle but its not a circle.

I know nothing was sent back in time and I am fully aware it didn't originate with Dylan. The Cylons (where the final five came from) initiated the signal from Earth 1. Our heroes arrive on Earth 2 in its prehistoric past with the activation signal. Fast forward several millenia and it is part of the folk memory of Earth.

More
21 Dec 2018 19:23 - 21 Dec 2018 19:30 #288632 by repoman
My wife is hooked on a show called Hart of Dixie. She's been streaming it non stop for days.

I long for death.
Last edit: 21 Dec 2018 19:30 by repoman.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.684 seconds