October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2743 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk abut Movies & TV here. Just tell us what you have been watching. Have hyper-academic discussions on visual semiotics. Whatever, it's all good.

Star Wars slate for next two years

More
12 Dec 2020 09:24 #317105 by Nodens

Shellhead wrote: It's too bad that Star Wars has sucked all the oxygen out of the room. There are some excellent science-fiction books and franchises that deserve to be translated to the big screen, but it won't happen as long as everybody stays obsessed with Star Wars. Maybe this upcoming glut of Star Wars will trigger widespread burnout, but that still won't necessarily create an opening for some other science-fiction movie.

I don't know about this. There have always been and always will be great Scifi movies under the radar. If you are talking about huge budgets, big studios, nationwide release, maybe. But committee-made flicks have sucked for a long time.
I know I'm grumpy, but this looks like that whole Netflix approach to me, 'let's just give anybody with half an idea more money than they need, some of the results will be good'. They may not be wrong, I am just tired of wading through all that samey crap. 'You won't get these two hours back' should be on top of the Netflix homepage.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jason10mm, mtagge, n815e

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2020 10:26 #317107 by jason10mm
This is why Lucasarts needs a Feige person to drive all the creatives towards a common goal. All of the MCU films stood on their own AND furthered a grand story. I think Star Wars needs this as well. Especially if they are gonna just mine the OT time period for every nugget (essentially the film version of that Cantina short story collection or the Dragonlance book bloat).

Take a weekend retreat or something and decide to tell a massive story about the rise of a new force discipline post Rey or whatever. Then all these little projects gotta feed into that at some level, show that there is a direction and payoff for our time.

DC is just shooting stuff at the wall as well. For every Joker that hits we will have stuff like Shazaam that are just put out there, are fine, but then forgotten.

More
12 Dec 2020 11:10 #317108 by mtagge
With the Mandalorian it's clear that baby Yoda is the catalyst to make episode 9 "make sense". I don't think the story is stronger for the tie in to the flagpole movies. I actually don't need everything to be tied together which is why one of the shows I am most looking forwards to is the one set in the high republic era.
Warning: Spoiler!
He could just be something else.

Frankly the Knights of the Old Republic video games and their story are phenomenal and probably the best Star Wars games out there. There should be more of that stuff. We don't need everything that is put out to provide backdrop to episodes 1-9. The magic of the clone wars was the exploration of the galaxy.

Tens of thousands of years of lore and every thing is just about two and a half generations. This is a franchise that I would be happier with being all over the place.

P.S. I read a whole bunch of dragonlance books as a child, before moving over to forgotten realms. Seemed fine to me as literature.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds