October 09, 2023
2556 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2752 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Love the new expanded sections...

More
09 Mar 2012 16:07 #118749 by SuperflyPete
I love that you've expanded the news section, but I'd also like to see the blog section have little headlines like the news section. There's a lot of content put up in a week, and sometimes you'll have 4-5 blog articles placed up in a day, which then are buried, even when you go to the BLOGS section, which only shows the 5 latest articles. That's only 2 days of articles that are easily viewable.

I just realized that I had missed a Multigame Soliataire segment because it got bumped too quickly, in fact, which is what made me think that maybe it wouldn't be too bad an idea to expand the blogs section like the news seciton.

Just a thought!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle, OldHippy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2012 16:40 #118753 by OldHippy
There have been a few times I wanted to write something but held off because I was afraid I'd just get bumped in an hour or two and then no one would see it. The old system allowed two blogs on the front page simultaneously, which is how most people will see it. Very rarely do people flip through the blog section on it's own. I think the site has imrpoved with the new changes, including the keep the trash talk off the front page rule. It took me awhile to admit it but it's true. Still, that blog thing is unfortunate. I miss a lot of things and don't contribute as much because of it.

Not saying anyone cares if they miss a blog (or mine specifically) just saying it might hold others back from writing one.

More
09 Mar 2012 18:01 #118759 by ubarose
I appreciate your feedback, but it's just not possible to have everything on the front page. The page is really too busy and crowded as it is. The front page is primarily aimed at newbies, to let them know what the site is about. Like a magazine cover, it should tempt them into opening it up and seeing what is inside.

Blogs are particularly problematic on the front page. Blogs are unmoderated and are a crap shoot regarding content, formatting and spam. The section on the front page is just to show newbies that the blogs exists. If we were to consider expanding the blog section on the front page, we would have to start defaulting to blogs NOT appearing on the front page without approval. As it is we rely on blogs bumping each other off the front page at regular intervals so we don't have to monitor what is up there 24/7.

Bloggers who want their reviews or articles to stay up on the front page longer should submit them as articles - let me clean out the garbage code, fix the pictures so they don't break the template, etc - and then push it to the front page and keep it there for the day. We are at a point now where we can feature two article items a day. The front page is all set up to make that jump. Just waiting for our blogging members to make that leap themselves.

'Power' users should have these links book marked:

This Week on FAT (I've been moving stuff around to stick this link on the front page)

More Comments

Recent Trash Talk

Also, use the drop down tab in the top right corner of the site. You can use the the arrows in the READ column to scroll through the most recent 9 articles/blogs/news.

Alternately, you can subscribe to the Fort (button at the top of the page next to the login and get a daily email with a list of everything that was published that day.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Sagrilarus, OldHippy

More
09 Mar 2012 18:55 #118762 by Sagrilarus
That pull-down tab is worth its weight in gold, especially with the scrollers.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds