October 09, 2023
2532 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

Inis - A Five Second Board Game Review

More
19 Apr 2019 09:38 #295756 by ubarose
The drafting of cards is all done with the same...

Ancient Ireland Comes Alive

Read more...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2019 09:44 #295757 by hotseatgames
I'd like to play this one at some point. Thanks for the review!

More
19 Apr 2019 09:49 #295758 by charlest
Inis is magnificent. I'm eager to try the expansion which comes out soon, but the base game is just such an elegant and smooth dudes on a map game with a core draft mechanism that is wonderful to grapple with. This game just feels so peaceful and serene while still cutthroat and vicious.

More
19 Apr 2019 09:55 #295759 by Legomancer
I enjoyed this game a lot more than I expected to.

More
19 Apr 2019 10:09 #295760 by Ah_Pook
Inis was wildly divisive in my experience. I thought it was cool, but enough people violently disliked it that I stopped trying to introduce it to people and eventually traded it away. One person called it Munchkin with a board 0_0

I also think its best with 2, and got less good the more players you added. Awesome 2p game.

More
19 Apr 2019 10:09 #295761 by BaronDonut
What a wonderful game. Sometimes the endgame can be a little tedious, with all the stop-this-person-they're-about-to-win that can happen, but for the most part it's such an elegant and engrossing experience.

More
19 Apr 2019 10:11 #295762 by JonathanVolk
My favorite game of recent years.

I played Millennium Blades the other night, and I couldn't help but compare it to Inis. What To Do is an agony in both games, but the former because there are a Billion Things to Do, the latter because there are only 16 (and, really, far less than that per round, given the draft). Inis has been compared to chess in that it plays great even with two, and that it is probably "solvable", but you'd need to be a good Russian boy, blessed by the Bloc with all the time in the world, to do that solving.

AND it is distractingly gorgeous--the psychedelic art, the cards oversized like tarot, and the needlessly complicated jigsaw board pieces, make it a rococo, campy classic. I wish more board games aimed for the Celtic moon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
19 Apr 2019 10:48 #295766 by hotseatgames

JonathanVolk wrote: My favorite game of recent years.

I played Millennium Blades the other night, and I couldn't help but compare it to Inis. What To Do is an agony in both games, but the former because there are a Billion Things to Do, the latter because there are only 16 (and, really, far less than that per round, given the draft). Inis has been compared to chess in that it plays great even with two, and that it is probably "solvable", but you'd need to be a good Russian boy, blessed by the Bloc with all the time in the world, to do that solving.

AND it is distractingly gorgeous--the psychedelic art, the cards oversized like tarot, and the needlessly complicated jigsaw board pieces, make it a rococo, campy classic. I wish more board games aimed for the Celtic moon.

If you haven't played it, you should check out The King is Dead by Osprey. It's one of the best 3 player games I've ever played, and actually it's the only way I've played that game so far. Very lean, and I think up your alley.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DarthJoJo, JonathanVolk

More
19 Apr 2019 10:55 #295767 by JonathanVolk
For the bargain price...

Attachments:

More
19 Apr 2019 11:39 #295771 by hotseatgames
Oh wow.... I think I paid $35. But I like you, so I'll let you buy mine for only $499!

More
19 Apr 2019 12:22 #295773 by MasonSokol

Ah_Pook wrote: Inis was wildly divisive in my experience. I thought it was cool, but enough people violently disliked it that I stopped trying to introduce it to people and eventually traded it away. One person called it Munchkin with a board 0_0

I also think its best with 2, and got less good the more players you added. Awesome 2p game.

I keep hearing that it is better with 2 than I’d ever imagine, really need to try it at 2 at some point, this review was entirely based on about 20 3 and 4 player plays.

Also I regularly describe it as munchkin crossed with risk but in the absolute best way.

More
19 Apr 2019 12:23 #295774 by MasonSokol

hotseatgames wrote:

JonathanVolk wrote: My favorite game of recent years.

If you haven't played it, you should check out The King is Dead by Osprey. It's one of the best 3 player games I've ever played, and actually it's the only way I've played that game so far. Very lean, and I think up your alley.

I’m super in to try this, just need to find someone already with a copy...

More
19 Apr 2019 12:24 #295775 by MasonSokol

BaronDonut wrote: What a wonderful game. Sometimes the endgame can be a little tedious, with all the stop-this-person-they're-about-to-win that can happen, but for the most part it's such an elegant and engrossing experience.

Totally true but sometimes the end game is the best ten minutes of gaming I’ve had in months :)

More
19 Apr 2019 13:00 #295777 by Nodens
The King is Dead is a new edition of King of Siam, I think. That one is a little cheaper on ebay while also quite brilliant.
drakesflames.blogspot.com/2009/07/board-...ing-of-siam.html?m=1

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.583 seconds