October 09, 2023
2563 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2764 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

The Secret Ameritrashers Don't Want You to Know!!!

More
30 Jan 2009 10:14 - 30 Jan 2009 10:19 #19047 by Deleted User 1

Yes it is true. These great Ameritrash Rebels had their name coined by a Eurogamer on BGG. When Robert Martin was called an "Ameritrash apologist" that prompted his founding document geeklist and the name "Ameritrash Stuck"

A Eurogamer on BGG decided on the name for a whole group of rebels that left the BGG website. But did they really leave?

It has always bothered me how dependent this website is on BGG. You see F:AT members over there sporting their F:AT microbadges acting like they are a group of badass bikers but unfortunately they come off as a bunch of college glee club girls with poodle skirts. Submitting to Mama Geek, the Bull Dyke of Boardgame Websites.

Let's face it, this website will always be sucking at the tit of Mama Geek for membership. Everything you do, whether you realize it or not is tailored to please Mama Geek.

The good writing you are proud of is to please Mama Geek.

Matt Thrower, super pacifist, admitted in a recent thread that the AT WAR was not even real. He wants to please Mama Geek

Barnes' charade of not mentioning the geek is the worst impression of false independence I have ever seen. It is rumored he has a hammer by his computer to smash his hands when he is tempted to write about Mama Geek, but even Mama Geek owns his ass. His reviews get posted there, he somehow still has comments posted there despite all the cruel and unjust treatment he received.

I recently went back to suck at the tit of Mama Geek but at least I bit down hard with biting satire to try to cause chaos.

It would of been so much better if this website had the guts to totally divorce Mama Geek but the fact is Mama Geek owns your ass.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2009 10:19 by Deleted User 1.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2009 10:25 #19048 by Dogmatix
Of course it does. Der Geek will always have the distinction of the largest active community that covers the broad spectrum of gaming. BGN is useful as a news ticker (and little more) and CSW is the cranky old farts club with a narrow focus and the worst forum design in the history of the Intertrons. What's left? There's the boardgame discussion area over at Gamesquad...which is almost solely devoted to ASL...

This place continues to try to develop independent content [with varying degrees of success], which is great, but there will always be a certain reactive element. I don't see how it can be avoided.

I would also add "big fucking deal" to that last thought. By the sheer volume of games that are covered at Das Geek, the membership base will always be larger and, as a result, more active. This place, since it shares a fair amount of interest in common, serves in more of an ombudsman role than anything. Folks identify the interesting and absurd and highlights them for further comment--sometimes here, sometimes there. Either way, though, there will always be a bit of synergy between the two...

More
30 Jan 2009 10:31 #19050 by Deleted User 1

BGN is useful as a news ticker (and little more

Yes, but at least BGN is a bit more independent. When you log on there you at least know the website is about boardgames. To know what's going on at this site you almost have to be a BGG insider. No one knows what Ameritrash is unless you have been involved on the Geek.

More
30 Jan 2009 10:36 #19051 by Matt Thrower
the*mad*gamer wrote:

I recently went back to suck at the tit of Mama Geek but at least I bit down hard with biting satire to try to cause chaos.

I'm now stuck with the mental image of a you suckling at Aldie's moobs.

Thanks for that. I fear all the mind-bleach in the world won't be enough to get rid of it.

More
30 Jan 2009 10:41 #19052 by Deleted User 1
Oh Matt??? Didn't you say this?

But this is the first and last time I'm biting into one of these threads!

Good, Matt, gooooood

More
30 Jan 2009 10:43 #19054 by Matt Thrower
the*mad*gamer wrote:

Oh Matt??? Didn't you say this?

But this is the first and last time I'm biting into one of these threads!

I meant as in taking it seriously.

Although the mental damage this one has left me with *is* pretty serious!

More
30 Jan 2009 10:44 #19055 by Deleted User 1
Matt I demand that you immediately retract your statement that the AT WAR was false.

A lot of great warriors fought long and hard on the battlefield!

More
30 Jan 2009 10:47 #19056 by southernman
the*mad*gamer wrote:

To know what's going on at this site you almost have to be a BGG insider. No one knows what Ameritrash is unless you have been involved on the Geek.

And that's the way we like it .... the Illuminati have nothing on us.

Hey - where did all our smilies go ?

More
30 Jan 2009 10:58 #19058 by BradHB

Yes it is true. These great Ameritrash Rebels had their name coined by a Eurogamer on BGG. When Robert Martin was called an "Ameritrash apologist" that prompted his founding document geeklist and the name "Ameritrash Stuck"

A Eurogamer on BGG decided on the name for a whole group of rebels that left the BGG website.

a) I know, I was there, and b) historically, this is hardly surprising. A subculture will often take the insulting label applied to it by the masses and adopt it as a name. This totally destroys the impact of the insult, be it "queer", "nigger" or "Ameritrash".

But did they really leave?

I did. I don't post on there anymore, and I use it like I use IMDB. I read the news, read the reviews, and find occasional points of interest. I just don't want to mix with the fuckwits on the message boards. As for whether or not anyone else actually left - I don't give a shit. I associate myself with the opinion. Not with the other people who share that opinion.

It has always bothered me how dependent this website is on BGG. You see F:AT members over there sporting their F:AT microbadges acting like they are a group of badass bikers but unfortunately they come off as a bunch of college glee club girls with poodle skirts. Submitting to Mama Geek, the Bull Dyke of Boardgame Websites.

Let's face it, this website will always be sucking at the tit of Mama Geek for membership. Everything you do, whether you realize it or not is tailored to please Mama Geek.

Your hyperbole aside, I agree with what you are saying here. It would be nice if F:AT could distance itself from BGG entirely, but the fact is that BGG (for good or ill) is a large focus of the hobby in general. It would be virtually impossible not to mention it occasionally, but some people on this board do seem a little obsessed with what amount to little more than the Internet equivalent of schoolboyish pranks.

No one knows what Ameritrash is unless you have been involved on the Geek.

True. Perhaps we need to make a concious effort to raise awareness of the genre, outside of Eurogamer baiting.

More
30 Jan 2009 11:10 - 30 Jan 2009 11:14 #19059 by Deleted User 1

I agree with what you are saying here. It would be nice if F:AT could distance itself from BGG entirely, but the fact is that BGG (for good or ill) is a large focus of the hobby in general. It would be virtually impossible not to mention it occasionally, but some people on this board do seem a little obsessed with what amount to little more than the Internet equivalent of schoolboyish pranks.

Your post is excellent Brad bit I do disagree with that it would be "virtually impossible" not to mention BGG.

It will just take a conscious effort to focus on games, nuclear explosions, biker chicks and not get sucked into the black hole of the Geek.

Uba does the best job of avoiding the Geek

Barnes is fooling no one , he still posts commenst there

Ken tries to be above it all, like a diplomat fostering peace for both sites but i suspect he really harbors a hatred for the geek since his site will always be a 2nd class citizen

Skeletor is just like Kevin bacon in "Animal House"

Getting banned over and over and coming back for more abuse

"Thank you sir may I have another?"
Last edit: 30 Jan 2009 11:14 by Deleted User 1.

More
30 Jan 2009 11:27 #19063 by Michael Barnes
A couple of points:

1) The only website I post _any_ comments to is F:AT. I do not participate in any other forums, communities, or discussions. I neither have the time nor inclination to contribute free content elsewhere. Bill Abner was posting my reviews to some other website of his own volition and to promote Gameshark and I was absolutely fine with that since they are essentially under his ownership. Apparently, an admin there threatened to ban him for putting my stuff up there.

2) The person who called ME (not Robert) an "ameritrash apologist" is not a BGG eurogamer. He's the guy that runs Deep Thought Games.

3) Steve, you know I love ya buddy, but when you post silly stuff like this just to get people riled up it's boring- it makes you look like less of a Steve Weeks and more of a Sean Hannity. You've got some great ideas, I love when you talk games/TV shows/music/whatever, and I totally dig having you around. But the time to talk about other websites is LONG past. F:AT is bigger and growing every day, there's no need to bother with what's going on at other sites any longer when we've got such a great thing going here.

More
30 Jan 2009 11:28 #19064 by BradHB

It will just take a conscious effort to focus on games, nuclear explosions, biker chicks and not get sucked into the black hole of the Geek.

You forgot guns and monsters.

Skeletor is just like Kevin bacon in "Animal House"

I always saw Skeletor as the Beavis and Butthead to BGG's Tom Anderson.

Aldie: Hey, what in the hell were you doing in my camper!?
Derk: Why, they're here to fix the T.V.
Aldie: The T.V. ain't broken.
Mr Skeletor: Uhh, yeah, it is.
Aldie: Hey, wait a minute...you two look kinda familiar. Ain't you that kid that's been whackin' off in m'toolshed?
Mr Skeletor: Heh-heh-m-heh-heh.

More
30 Jan 2009 11:29 #19065 by Juniper
the*mad*gamer wrote:

Bullshit. This is where the phrase emerged . Notice that the message predates the creation of BGG.

More
30 Jan 2009 11:31 #19066 by Stephen Avery
Boo-Ya! you hit that one outta the park Steve. I never bothered to create a avatar over there or grab microbadges becuse I don't feel the same sense of community. I'm not anti BGG, but I'm not pro either. The database rocks. Everything else is meh. I usually don;t care enough to post anything (unless I can ridicule Ken B!!) :D:D:D

Steve"Chaosian"Avery

More
30 Jan 2009 11:32 #19067 by dysjunct
Trying to pretend that BoardGameGeek (or "TOS" if you're feeling coy) doesn't exist is stupid. It's the 900-lb. gorilla of the hobby, and if ATers don't like it then it's our own damn fault for not being the first to create a website a decade ago, before the Eurogamers did.

Also, for ATers to withdraw completely would be cutting off our nose to spite our face. There's already been a culture shift over at BGG -- just today there's a tribute Geeklist to Kevin Wilson's games that's being well-received. And reviews of AT games in general get far more thumbs, GG tips, and positive comments than they did a few years ago when I first got back into the hobby. Once RPGGeek gets online, I expect this trend will accelerate, as people who are more attracted to stories and narrative start joining the site.

Yes, there are plenty of ( wankers + fun murderers = ) Sperm Murderers on the message boards. So what? Welcome to the internet. You can use plonk lists or just ignore them. Or read the Wanker thread here and laugh at them.

And Steve, as an appeal to your need for pointless conflict, keep in mind that the one thing the Sperm Murderers want more than anything else is for ATers to slink off into the night and never darken their doorstep with our dislike of passive-aggression, enshrinement of OCD, etc. Why give them what they want?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds