October 09, 2023
2563 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2764 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

The Secret Ameritrashers Don't Want You to Know!!!

More
30 Jan 2009 11:33 #19068 by hancock.tom
BradH wrote:

I always saw Skeletor as the Beavis and Butthead to BGG's Tom Anderson.

Aldie: Hey, what in the hell were you doing in my camper!?
Derk: Why, they're here to fix the T.V.
Aldie: The T.V. ain't broken.
Mr Skeletor: Uhh, yeah, it is.
Aldie: Hey, wait a minute...you two look kinda familiar. Ain't you that kid that's been whackin' off in m'toolshed?
Mr Skeletor: Heh-heh-m-heh-heh.

Now thats some funny shit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2009 11:36 #19071 by ChristopherMD
I thought the AT WAR was solely for entertainment purposes. o_O

I partly agree about being in TOS shadow, but at the same time there has been effort to escape its reach. Like the fact this site isn't just about boardgames. Here you can get Matt's review of The Road or Ken recommending the Terminator series, etc. You won't see those things featured on TOS because they aren't boardgame related.
Therefore I, for one, can see a difference between "Fortress Ameritrash" the website and the term Ameritrash in regards to the boardgaming community. In the same way that Amazon.com isn't all about the rainforest. If I make up a word and you read it on intercrack, you'll most likely understand it in the right context. So I don't see Ameritrash as being only understandable by people from TOS.

Then again, I like to talk out of my ass a lot here. So should probably be ignored.

More
30 Jan 2009 11:37 #19072 by Rliyen
dysjunct wrote:

Trying to pretend that BoardGameGeek (or "TOS" if you're feeling coy) doesn't exist is stupid. It's the 900-lb. gorilla of the hobby, and if ATers don't like it then it's our own damn fault for not being the first to create a website a decade ago, before the Eurogamers did.

Also, for ATers to withdraw completely would be cutting off our nose to spite our face. There's already been a culture shift over at BGG -- just today there's a tribute Geeklist to Kevin Wilson's games that's being well-received. And reviews of AT games in general get far more thumbs, GG tips, and positive comments than they did a few years ago when I first got back into the hobby. Once RPGGeek gets online, I expect this trend will accelerate, as people who are more attracted to stories and narrative start joining the site.

Yes, there are plenty of ( wankers + fun murderers = ) Sperm Murderers on the message boards. So what? Welcome to the internet. You can use plonk lists or just ignore them. Or read the Wanker thread here and laugh at them.

And Steve, as an appeal to your need for pointless conflict, keep in mind that the one thing the Sperm Murderers want more than anything else is for ATers to slink off into the night and never darken their doorstep with our dislike of passive-aggression, enshrinement of OCD, etc. Why give them what they want?

QFT

More
30 Jan 2009 11:38 #19073 by Ken B.
Mad Dog wrote:

Then again, I like to talk out of my ass a lot here.

What the hell? Did somebody just fart?

More
30 Jan 2009 11:38 #19075 by Deleted User 1

Bullshit. This is where the phrase emerged. Notice that the message predates the creation of BGG.

Who cares about that? the phrase wasn't popularized until Robert Martin did it.

More
30 Jan 2009 11:38 #19076 by Michael Barnes
Trying to pretend that BoardGameGeek (or "TOS" if you're feeling coy) doesn't exist is stupid.

You know what? I like databases. I particularly like useful databases. But I no longer see any need to discuss, talk about, or advertise them- particularly on a site that is about board game discussion and culture.

More
30 Jan 2009 11:41 - 30 Jan 2009 11:42 #19077 by Schweig!
Steve, are you angry that your latest account on BGG was deleted quicker than you could say "Suck on Aldie's tits!"?

Well, I don't know what you want. I read F:AT for at least half an hour every work day and only check BGG for some information. This site is better.

Seems like reading too much BGG has turned you into a whiner, Steve.

And I'm not the one who brings up BGG in every other discussion.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2009 11:42 by Schweig!.

More
30 Jan 2009 11:42 #19079 by hancock.tom
Matt did a review of The Road? That was one of my favorite books in the past few months. It must have went up during one of my work-imposed exile periods from the site. I'm off to perform some thread necromancy now!

More
30 Jan 2009 11:45 #19082 by Deleted User 1

A couple of points:

1) The only website I post _any_ comments to is F:AT. I do not participate in any other forums, communities, or discussions. I neither have the time nor inclination to contribute free content elsewhere. Bill Abner was posting my reviews to some other website of his own volition and to promote Gameshark and I was absolutely fine with that since they are essentially under his ownership. Apparently, an admin there threatened to ban him for putting my stuff up there.

2) The person who called ME (not Robert) an "ameritrash apologist" is not a BGG eurogamer. He's the guy that runs Deep Thought Games.

3) Steve, you know I love ya buddy, but when you post silly stuff like this just to get people riled up it's boring- it makes you look like less of a Steve Weeks and more of a Sean Hannity. You've got some great ideas, I love when you talk games/TV shows/music/whatever, and I totally dig having you around. But the time to talk about other websites is LONG past. F:AT is bigger and growing every day, there's no need to bother with what's going on at other sites any longer when we've got such a great thing going here.

1) You continued to update your game comments under you rprofile after you were banned, once again submitting to Mama geek

2) This is not what Robert Martin says. I have him on audio telling me the genesis of Ameritrash. I can play it for you if you like. One of you has the story wrong

3) Don't patronize me with this kind of talk. Your ego is on full display here, like you are Zeus talking from Mount Olympus. If F:AT is growing it is because of MAMA GEEK. Most of your recruits come from her.

More
30 Jan 2009 11:46 #19084 by Matt Thrower
hancock.tom wrote:

Matt did a review of The Road? That was one of my favorite books in the past few months. It must have went up during one of my work-imposed exile periods from the site. I'm off to perform some thread necromancy now!

I can resurrect it faster than you. Your powers are weak, old man:
fortressat.com/index.php?option=com_cont...ew&id=177&Itemid=365

Quite possibly the best novel I've ever read.

More
30 Jan 2009 11:52 #19088 by BradHB

2) This is not what Robert Martin says. I have him on audio telling me the genesis of Ameritrash. I can play it for you if you like. One of you has the story wrong

I was under the impression that Barnes was the one called an "Ameritrash apologist", and Martin was the one who wrote the first Ameritrash geeklist. I am also willing to accept that I may be wrong, as it was a good few years ago, and not in the top 100 most important moments of my life.

Don't patronize me with this kind of talk. Your ego is on full display here, like you are Zeus talking from Mount Olympus. If F:AT is growing it is because of MAMA GEEK. Most of your recruits come from her.

You mean talk of a site primarily about board-gaming gains traffic from people talking about it on a site primarily about board games? Of course it fucking will. Insular, maybe. Incestuous, possibly. Inevitable, definitely. Steve, I love ya, but you're losing me a bit here.

More
30 Jan 2009 11:53 #19089 by Dogmatix
the*mad*gamer wrote:

BGN is useful as a news ticker (and little more

Yes, but at least BGN is a bit more independent. When you log on there you at least know the website is about boardgames. To know what's going on at this site you almost have to be a BGG insider. No one knows what Ameritrash is unless you have been involved on the Geek.

That's a fair cop. Building a "clean" self-identity is tough considering that this place *was* a splinter cell off the geek. I guess that's not that surprising to me. There is an "inside baseball" quality to it, though.

More
30 Jan 2009 11:58 #19090 by Deleted User 1

You mean talk of a site primarily about board-gaming gains traffic from people talking about it on a site primarily about board games? Of course it fucking will. Insular, maybe. Incestuous, possibly. Inevitable, definitely.

Exactly. But the point is that Barnes is trying to make it look like F:AT is drawing in people from all over. Most are coming from Mama Geek.

More
30 Jan 2009 12:00 #19091 by TheDukester
Seriously, Steve, what's with the weak arguments about tired subjects lately? "Where did the AT name come from?" Who fucking cares? It's been hashed over about 1,000 times already. That ship has fucking sailed.

And insisting that it's possible to have a boardgaming site that ignores BGG is like insisting we could have a sports site that ignores ESPN.com. They are 900-pound gorillas, for better or for worse. You need to learn to deal with that fact.

More
30 Jan 2009 12:02 - 30 Jan 2009 12:02 #19092 by JMcL63
Michael Barnes wrote:

Trying to pretend that BoardGameGeek (or "TOS" if you're feeling coy) doesn't exist is stupid.

You know what? I like databases. I particularly like useful databases. But I no longer see any need to discuss, talk about, or advertise them- particularly on a site that is about board game discussion and culture.

This is exactly the sort of self-serving cheapass bullshit I've been talking about. You use the BGG's database here at the F:AT for fuck's sake. Not even acknowledging its existence is like sticking your fingers in your ears and shouting "La, la, la, I can't hear you!" Fuckwit. ;)
Last edit: 30 Jan 2009 12:02 by JMcL63.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds