October 09, 2023
2515 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2714 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

What Minis Are You Painting?

More
19 May 2017 13:37 #248683 by stormseeker75
So I primed my Blood Bowl minis last night and for some reason, they are all sandy. I think my primer must have been bad. I think I can clean them off well enough with a toothbrush. If not, I'll Simple Green them and make it right.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2017 13:48 #248684 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic What Minis Are You Painting?
are you using citadel primer? I had similar problems with mine, it just didn't provide smooth coverage, so I switched to vallejo. It is a big difference.

More
19 May 2017 13:59 #248686 by san il defanso

Vlad wrote: That genestealer is pretty awesome. I like the paint scheme better than the now popular white one.

Yeah, me too. I also like being able to take advantage off the black primer, especially. I primed every figure in black, but it worked much better for the Genestealers than the Space Marines. I was never able to get the red as vibrant as I wanted, and it looked a little dingy.

I primed all of them in Imperial Primer, and I didn't love it. It got the job done, but it tended toward clumping. I definitely want to switch to Vallejo for Silver Tower, and I'll probably prime those in white to give them a little brighter look.

More
19 May 2017 14:05 #248688 by Mr. White
Nate, that broodlord looks the business!

So, if I understand correctly, the black we see is simply the black primer? Besides the very inspired light blue edges, you didn't highlight or do anything else to the black? how about gloss? It's very smooth looking and if that's just the black with no enhancing...incredible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
19 May 2017 14:11 - 19 May 2017 14:12 #248689 by san il defanso

Mr. White wrote: Nate, that broodlord looks the business!

So, if I understand correctly, the black we see is simply the black primer? Besides the very inspired light blue edges, you didn't highlight or do anything else to the black? how about gloss? It's very smooth looking and if that's just the black with no enhancing...incredible.

That's right. That's just Imperial Primer, maybe touched up here and there with some Vallejo black to cover boo-boos.

The blue edges are something I actually got from the White Dwarf painting guide for Space Hulk from 2014. Theirs was more subtle, making it look like the carapace was wet and glistening (ew). I liked the effect and thought it added a little bit of depth to the bodies, although mine looks stripier and more like markings. Still looks cool though.

One thing that makes Space Hulk difficult to paint is the dynamic sculpting, because it sometimes results in molding peculiarities that are hard to paint. For example, the skull the Broodlord is holding is attached all the way back to the wrist of the figure. I am pleased with how it looks, but it was hard to decide where to stop painting the skull.
Last edit: 19 May 2017 14:12 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
19 May 2017 14:19 #248690 by stormseeker75

Vlad wrote: are you using citadel primer? I had similar problems with mine, it just didn't provide smooth coverage, so I switched to vallejo. It is a big difference.

I think it was a Rustoleum primer. I'm learning that I probably have to use proper miniatures primer. I don't like the extra cost, but I am willing to pay it to make sure my figures look good.

More
19 May 2017 14:40 #248691 by Mr. White
I've had that dusty primer nightmare happen to me as well. I think it's the result of the humidity being around 50% or higher and the can being too far from the models.

The same environmental situation can impact spray sealants as well making the models look a bit dusty if not riddled with snow.

I think this can happen to sprays from any company.

Here's a new one I want to try out....less than $1 a can!
topdownterrain.com/blogs/news/91354947-t...-terrain-primer-ever

More
19 May 2017 14:45 #248692 by Space Ghost

stormseeker75 wrote:

Vlad wrote: are you using citadel primer? I had similar problems with mine, it just didn't provide smooth coverage, so I switched to vallejo. It is a big difference.

I think it was a Rustoleum primer. I'm learning that I probably have to use proper miniatures primer. I don't like the extra cost, but I am willing to pay it to make sure my figures look good.

I don't think it is the brand. I use Krylon and never have a problem, and I just picked up some oxidized red Rustoleum to prime my Armageddon terrain with.

It is probably more to do with the humidity and/or temperature than anything.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
19 May 2017 14:46 #248693 by Michael Barnes
You can buy a $25 can of Citadel spray primer and it still winds up looking like crap. The worst primer I ever bought was Army Painter white.

Spray is so particular...so many variables. Lately I have been using Krylon Fusion primer and it's been really good. The black is SUPER flat, which I like, and it seems to do well with not obscuring detail. The gray does really nicely too. I sprayed the Biel-Tan white and that did much better than I thought too, but a little grain to it.

Imperial Primer is weird stuff. It is - when it works - almost like Magic Shell ice cream topping. That stuff shrinks like crazy and it does have a kind of satiny sheen. The problem is that I don't think it is shelf stable or something. I've bought three pots and two were unusable. The third was fine, but it sort of died on me. It's also very expensive from primer.

Black Vallejo brush on is great. White and gray are not so good. If you mix the black and white about 4:1, you get a pretty good gray, which is better than their gray.

I would definitely recommend gray over white in most cases unless you are doing white armor or something...white is BRUTALLY unforgiving. Shit that you can get away with on black with some Nuln Oil? Nope. My Biel-Tan up close look horrible. They are fine on the table, but hold one up and they just look tragic. Because that white shows EVERYTHING and it also punches up any imperfections in other colors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
19 May 2017 14:51 - 19 May 2017 14:51 #248694 by Mr. White
yeah, I never prime white and haven't for years. Nor do I prime black, but that Broodlord has me reconsidering.

I have about 3 shades of Rustoleum grey and models get the appropriate grey depending on the desired brightness of the finished model. A dark grey primer washed with Nuln Oil is a quick and dirty black with shading. Not up to Duncan standards, but I'm strictly a tabletop gamer...
Last edit: 19 May 2017 14:51 by Mr. White.

More
19 May 2017 14:56 #248696 by stormseeker75
Crap, it has been really humid here. Maybe I just need to go full brush-on and not mess with the spray.

More
19 May 2017 15:18 #248697 by hotseatgames
I've been using white brush-on Vallejo primer and it's been working pretty well for me so far.

More
19 May 2017 15:25 #248699 by Michael Barnes
Is it super patchy and thin?

More
19 May 2017 15:34 #248701 by stormseeker75
If you are asking me, it's sort of granular and sandy. I can rub most of it off. It feels like the paint dried in the air on the way down. I'm hoping I can brush most of it off. This is BB so I'm not overly concerned with them looking pristine.

More
19 May 2017 15:42 #248705 by Michael Barnes
Asking Mark about the white Vallejo.

That is exactly what happened...don't try to paint over it. It'll look nasty. I tried brushing it off and all too when it happened to me (Lost Patrol) and thought I could paint it out. Nope.

Into the Simple Green!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.686 seconds