October 09, 2023
2538 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
04 Jul 2017 09:35 #250813 by Black Barney
It's taking all my energy not to go see 47 METERS DOWN. That's as genre as it gets for my tastes. There's a movie about street cats in Istanbul that I really want to see and i know will be way better...... but 47 Meters Down is calling me.... it's so hard to resist, I know it'll be terrible too. I was able to skip the Blake Lively shark movie but this one... i dunno.

Anyway, someone see it please and let me know how it is.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2017 10:18 - 04 Jul 2017 10:19 #250815 by Jexik
Saw one and a half documentaries this week.

We saw Red Pill on Amazon which is about MRAs and the feminist who doesn't hate them after talking to them. It was pretty interesting, especially when they get into the family court stuff. They made them sound so reasonable that I almost wonder where the money came from on this one.

On the other hand, we stopped watching What the Health halfway through. Here's a good takedown of it.

We also re-watched Neal Brennan's Three Mics, which is my favorite stand-up act that I've watched this year.
Last edit: 04 Jul 2017 10:19 by Jexik.

More
04 Jul 2017 10:31 #250816 by Grudunza
Y

Black Barney wrote: It's taking all my energy not to go see 47 METERS DOWN. That's as genre as it gets for my tastes. There's a movie about street cats in Istanbul that I really want to see and i know will be way better...... but 47 Meters Down is calling me.... it's so hard to resist, I know it'll be terrible too. I was able to skip the Blake Lively shark movie but this one... i dunno.

Anyway, someone see it please and let me know how it is.

I haven't seen it (and won't), but the consensus is that it isn't great. The Blake Lively one is decent, though, and definitely shows off her and the setting very well.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
04 Jul 2017 11:02 #250821 by Black Barney

Hey i saw JOHN WICK 2 yesterday. Amazing action and I absolutely love how much fun these movies have with his reloads. I love when he was pinning the guy to the wall with an empty shotgun while taking the time to reload it.

I did prefer the first one since there was so much unknown still to the world-building they were creating. This one went out of its way to really show too much behind that curtain. I like the "Accounts Payable" mentions and little things like that. Even the idea that there is a chain of Continental hotels out there. But i think they go a little too far with this with the old-school operators and pneumatic tubes. The bullet-proof suits are OKAY I guess but now we're really starting to get a little too much in the explaining, in the same way that the Bourne Legacy totally ruins the Bourne movies. Then finally when time gets slowed down in Central Park the same way that Professor X does it, I really think the movie is going too far. Plus, that's not much of an ending.

The action is incredible so as an action movie, it certainly gets the job done. i really liked the silencer gun walking skirmish in the subway station (with the elevated walkway). There sure was a ton of Montreal shots too which was cool. I think the action sequence in the hall of mirrors was WAY too long.

Anyway, first one was much better in my opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, RobertB

More
04 Jul 2017 11:45 #250826 by jeb

Black Barney wrote: Even the idea that there is a chain of Continental hotels out there.

Finally, someone else is bringing Sid Sackson's visions to the big screen.

#OHSHIT
#BOARDGAMEJOKE
#EVENTHENKINDOFOBSCURE
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
04 Jul 2017 15:52 #250837 by Hex Sinister

Black Barney wrote: JOHN WICK 2

I feel like Hollywood has been sucking the dick of HK for way too long. And that mirrors segment was Bruce Lee old. 2 1/2 star!

More
04 Jul 2017 16:32 #250838 by Black Barney
dammit, just lost a post :(

What's HK?

Yeah, I didn't write a review of it cuz i watched it streamed and I don't feel like i experienced the movie it was meant to be experienced. i still liked it but my expectations were up way too much I think. Still my 5th favourite of the year so far, but I'm sure it'll get dropped off the list by year end.

It's technically more of an accomplished movie than the first one, but the screenplay is far weaker. I'd give it more than 2.5 star but the brain rating would be close to that for sure.

More
05 Jul 2017 09:17 #250863 by JEM
I thought the mirrors scene was a nice homage. You know the "time stop" was not actual mutant super-powers, right?

More
05 Jul 2017 09:35 - 05 Jul 2017 09:37 #250864 by Black Barney
I have no idea what it was :(

Also, I did like the mirrors scene, I just thought it was too long and overstayed its welcome. Not as badly as the elevator scene in Total Recall remake did tho
Last edit: 05 Jul 2017 09:37 by Black Barney.

More
05 Jul 2017 10:01 #250868 by Cranberries

Disgustipater wrote: Baby Driver. It was fine, but I didn't find it as good as some of Edgar Wright's other movies. While I understand that the prevalence of music in the movie is one of its main themes, I got kind of tired of the constant music. On the other hand, I liked how they matched the action to the beats of the music, so I'm not sure how to reconcile that.

It did have some nice tracking shots.

I want a good movie to watch this summer and now you're killing my pre-viewing buzz.

More
05 Jul 2017 11:11 - 05 Jul 2017 11:13 #250870 by Gregarius
Don't let him discourage you. I saw Baby Driver last Friday, and I liked it quite a bit. It's definitely not intended to be as comedic as other Edgar Wright films (although there's still comedy). I had a bit of a problem with the ending because it used cliches that the rest of the film had successfully avoided or subverted, so that was disappointing. However, overall, it's still a good film worth seeing.

Plus, it has one of my favorite opening credits sequences ever. (Not the pre-credits scene, but the scene during the credits.)
Last edit: 05 Jul 2017 11:13 by Gregarius.

More
08 Jul 2017 02:03 #251010 by Vlad
I had to watch the two first Pirates of Caribbean movies, because the boy made me. I still find them seriously boring and trying to avoid watching the 3rd one. On the other hand, since he's into pirates, we started reading Treasure Island together (what a great book) and watched the 1990 movie with Charlton Heston and a teenage Christian Bale. I liked it quite a lot. It is almost a scene-by-scene recreation of the book, very competently shot and written. My only gripe is that there're a few minor characters who just aren't as good as the main cast. But Charlton Heston kills it as John Silver and Christopher Lee is magnificently scary as Blind Pew (the few scenes he's in the movie basically turns from adventure into horror). I can't believe I haven't seen this one before.
I also like the story of Treasure Island quite a lot, and there're many things in it that I didn't (couldn't) appreciate when I was a kid.

More
08 Jul 2017 09:38 #251015 by Shellhead

Vlad wrote: I had to watch the two first Pirates of Caribbean movies, because the boy made me. I still find them seriously boring and trying to avoid watching the 3rd one. On the other hand, since he's into pirates, we started reading Treasure Island together (what a great book) and watched the 1990 movie with Charlton Heston and a teenage Christian Bale. I liked it quite a lot. It is almost a scene-by-scene recreation of the book, very competently shot and written. My only gripe is that there're a few minor characters who just aren't as good as the main cast. But Charlton Heston kills it as John Silver and Christopher Lee is magnificently scary as Blind Pew (the few scenes he's in the movie basically turns from adventure into horror). I can't believe I haven't seen this one before.
I also like the story of Treasure Island quite a lot, and there're many things in it that I didn't (couldn't) appreciate when I was a kid.

I liked the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, but it was too long. The fight scenes, especially. I liked the second and third less, for the same reason. Treasure Island is such a great story that it seems to always work well as a movie. I have vague but fond memories of a Disney version that I saw as a kid, and even Eddie Izzard starred in a decent version that came out in 2012.

More
08 Jul 2017 19:40 #251026 by Colorcrayons
I finally watched The Accountant.

Damn fine movie. There are subtle nuances throughout, and if you've ever dealt with high functioning Autistics, you'd appreciate the precision in which those nuances are portrayed. The qualifying statement being precision.

I'm not sure how I feel about Affleck in it, as I feel anyone could have played his role. But he is well known, so there is comfort to be had in seeing his familiar face. A good role for him, and many other high profile actors in this.

While the Robin Hood premise is nothing new and grants us all a fantasy of being the misunderstood protagonist, I feel comfortable giving it high recommendation.

More
08 Jul 2017 20:04 #251027 by the_jake_1973
Okja. Saw it on Netflix and really enjoyed it. A story about a girl and her super-pig and her quest to get it back from the food conglomerate that designed it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.999 seconds