October 09, 2023
2520 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2721 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
19 Oct 2017 07:51 #255959 by Black Barney
Yeah, fuck music
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister, Not Sure

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2017 09:08 #255966 by Mr. White
Yeah, song selection is also a trick used within movies to fool you into thinking you liked them/they're good. Movies like Trolls or Mama Mia! are littered with songs you already like so when watching it you have a natural affection for the film and give them a lot of up front goodwill. If not outright walking away thinking you liked them...when actually the studio just resold you stuff you already liked.

Watched Foxcatcher last night. How everyone in that film didn't walk away with an oscar is beyond me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
19 Oct 2017 09:12 #255968 by charlest
I watched the first 20 minutes or so of Foxcatcher a month ago and ended up bailing to go to bed, never felt like going back. Should I finish it?

More
19 Oct 2017 09:14 #255969 by Mr. White
I dunno. if you know the story and weren't gripped early on, then perhaps not.
Surprisingly, I didn't know the story at all so was shocked at the end. Still, I was all in on the three leads so was into seeing how it played out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boothwah, Gregarius

More
19 Oct 2017 09:16 #255970 by Black Barney
that was a tough year to be nominated. Birdman won for directing (which it should),
Eddie R won best actor for his Stephen Hawking thing. I'm not sure about that one though. You had Michael Keaton in Birdman, Bradley Cooper in American Sniper, Steve Carrell in Foxcatcher, Cumberbatch in Imitation Game.... tough category.
JK Simmons won supporting actor for Whiplash over Ruffalo in Foxcatcher (which was correct)
Birdman's screenplay won over Foxcatcher's (I actually was pulling for Boyhood here)

I guess Foxcatcher could have won best makeup and hair over Grand Budapest, but I don't really care.

More
19 Oct 2017 09:22 #255972 by Disgustipater

Black Barney wrote: that was a tough year to be nominated. Birdman won for directing (which it should),
Eddie R won best actor for his Stephen Hawking thing. I'm not sure about that one though. You had Michael Keaton in Birdman, Bradley Cooper in American Sniper, Steve Carrell in Foxcatcher, Cumberbatch in Imitation Game.... tough category.
JK Simmons won supporting actor for Whiplash over Ruffalo in Foxcatcher (which was correct)
Birdman's screenplay won over Foxcatcher's (I actually was pulling for Boyhood here)

I guess Foxcatcher could have won best makeup and hair over Grand Budapest, but I don't really care.

Please tell me you had to look all (or some) of that up. Because I would totally believe it if you had it all committed to memory.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, hotseatgames

More
19 Oct 2017 09:53 #255977 by Black Barney
lol, i remember JK Simmons winning over Ruffalo but that was it. I was actually surprised Foxcatcher wasn't nominated for best picture that year.

I remembered nothing from the Best Actor category and was shocked to see the Stephen Hawking guy had won.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Disgustipater

More
19 Oct 2017 09:55 - 19 Oct 2017 09:59 #255978 by Mr. White
I hardly remember Birdman, besides I think it being filmed with a lot of long, single takes.

i doubt I forget Foxcatcher any time soon.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2017 09:59 by Mr. White.

More
19 Oct 2017 10:12 #255982 by Black Barney
Birdman winning over Boyhood was ridiculous. i liked Birdman but it's more of a technical achievement and great acting piece. I'm not a theatre fan at all though (writes this as I'm writing up promotional posters, web banners and business cards for a theatre production, lol)

More
19 Oct 2017 12:19 #255994 by Gary Sax
I loathed Birdman. It may have been my most disliked movie of the last 10 years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Varys

More
19 Oct 2017 12:29 #255998 by Black Barney
Howard Stern is on side with you, gary. He STILL complains about it from time to time.

I loved Emma Stone in that, and the direction. But mostly just those things.

More
19 Oct 2017 21:42 #256023 by Varys

Gary Sax wrote: I loathed Birdman. It may have been my most disliked movie of the last 10 years.

The drummer dude in that movie needs to be banned from movies forever.

More
19 Oct 2017 22:09 #256025 by Michael Barnes
Birdman is one of those movies that tricks people into thinking that they are clever and sophisticated for watching it.

But it's really a kind of pandering. It was released at a time of Marvel saturation, and it had this anti-superhero movie angle sauced up by having a Batman actor engage in all of the intellectually masturbatory "theeatah" self-loathing. It was a phony "arthouse" movie aimed squarely at an audience that wanted movies about people talking instead of apocalyptic action.

It's technically a well made film. But it's garbage entertainment with almost nothing to recommend it unless you think that watching a David Mamet play is rebellious and countercultural.

More
19 Oct 2017 22:18 #256026 by Black Barney
I did really enjoy it getting into the difference between actors and celebrities, that was cool.

More
20 Oct 2017 21:26 #256116 by Colorcrayons
I just finished watching Colossal with my GF. She hates kaiju movies, but liked this. I hate lifetime dramas, but liked this.

It is a lifetime channel kaiju movie. That in itself isn't a glowing recommendation , yet it is a true statement.

A solid 7/10

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.608 seconds