October 09, 2023
2525 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2727 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
30 Oct 2017 10:26 #256580 by hotseatgames
Death Wish is also the premier of Jeff Goldblum, wearing a Jughead hat if I recall.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2017 15:31 #256614 by ThirstyMan
While in Amsterdam, at a Banksy exhibition, I bought a DVD of Eisenstein's Oktober.

Great if you love Russian revolutionary history (which I do).

I should get Battleship Potemkin. Isn't that the one where he uses the steps at Odessa that was later ripped off for the Untouchables scene, in Grand Central Station?

More
31 Oct 2017 09:18 #256666 by Rafael Silva

ThirstyMan wrote:
I should get Battleship Potemkin. Isn't that the one where he uses the steps at Odessa that was later ripped off for the Untouchables scene, in Grand Central Station?

Yes it is, in 2005 I watched a restored copy during the 29th São Paulo International Film Festival where São Paulo's Jazz Symphonic Orchestra performed Edmund Meisel's score live. Unforgettable experience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ThirstyMan

More
02 Nov 2017 16:35 #256878 by Black Barney
I don't know why but it's bothering me that THOR is getting really great reviews. I can't explain why it bothers me. I think i've just had it with superhero movies.

i watched a few clips of DARK TOWER yesterday and I couldn't believe how bad they were. I know it's not fair to judge a movie based on clips, but holy crap was Matthew M terrible as Death.

More
03 Nov 2017 23:39 #257000 by SebastianBludd
I literally just got back from seeing Thor: Ragnarok and it's the movie I was hoping Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 would have been. There's a lot of humor but the vast majority of the jokes land, and even the misfires don't come across as desperate to please as some of the comic flailings in GotG 2. The action is well-staged (though once again an MCU movie can't resist using a legion of interchangeable CGI baddies as cannon fodder) and occasionally exhilarating with about half a dozen gorgeously-composed slow-motion shots that would look great airbrushed on the side of the mythical van Barnes always mentions when he wants to insult tacky fantasy art. Cate Blanchett is the hottest goth woman ever - in case Barney needs one last thing to convince him to see it - and the fact that her warrior's headdress made the transition from comics (was it in the comics?) to screen without looking ridiculous is a minor miracle in and of itself. The rest of the supporting cast (Jeff Goldblum, Tessa Thompson and Taika Waititi, the director himself, as a scene-stealing CGI character) were all really good as well.

Injecting a lot of humor and taking the movie to space (i.e., ripping off GotG) was the best thing they could have done for the Thor series and after this movie I don't imagine I'll ever revisit parts 1 and 2. My wife drew the short straw and had to babysit the five year-old tonight but I'd gladly go see it again. Of course, I haven't seen Dr. Strange or Spider Man: Homecoming yet, so perhaps I'm suffering from less superhero fatigue than some of you. At the end of the day it's an MCU movie so if you generally don't like them then Thor: Ragnarok won't change your mind. However, if you're tired of mediocre superhero/MCU movies - or just wish that GotG2 and/or Ant Man were funnier - this movie is worth seeing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
04 Nov 2017 14:32 - 04 Nov 2017 14:42 #257010 by Grudunza
I really liked the first third or so of Thor:R, but then I just starting yawning and never recovered. Yet another brisk Marvel film with superheroes doing superhero stuff, and various characters overstuffing it. Fun enough, overall, I suppose, but I have to scoff when I read things saying it's the funniest Marvel film ever. No way. Deadpool and the new Spiderman were both much funnier, and also better, otherwise. Thor rarely had me laughing. Just a fair amount of amusement and chuckles. I will agree with Sebastian that it's better than GOTG2, but not by much.
Last edit: 04 Nov 2017 14:42 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
04 Nov 2017 18:48 #257015 by ChristopherMD
I thought Thor 3 was hilarious and really well done. Definitely right up there with GotG 1 for pure entertainment, imo.

More
04 Nov 2017 21:12 #257018 by Black Barney
Just rewatched WALL-E for the third or fourth time. It’s become a more effective tear jerker over time.

More
05 Nov 2017 01:24 #257036 by Cranberries

Mad Dog wrote: I thought Thor 3 was hilarious and really well done. Definitely right up there with GotG 1 for pure entertainment, imo.

Go watch the same director's Hunt for the Wilderpeople. You'll see a lot of familiar faces and it has a similar sense of humor.

I felt like they were trying to turn Thor into Star Lord. Also, no move at this point should ever, every use the line, "I like what you've done with the place"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
05 Nov 2017 09:28 #257046 by ChristopherMD

cranberries wrote:

Mad Dog wrote: I thought Thor 3 was hilarious and really well done. Definitely right up there with GotG 1 for pure entertainment, imo.

Go watch the same director's Hunt for the Wilderpeople. You'll see a lot of familiar faces and it has a similar sense of humor.

Seen it. Overrated.

I don't think they were trying to turn Thor into Starlord. Thor's humor mostly came from the characters' arrogance. Either because he's so sure of himself he can joke confidently or so sure of himself that what he does backfires in his face. Starlord's humor mostly comes from him trying to be humorous and to look cool.

More
05 Nov 2017 10:05 #257049 by hotseatgames
I watched Get Out, having wanted to see it for some time. It's on HBO this month. I thought it was good; not scary, but definitely a messed up concept. It's very interesting in that it shows how society can be viewed from the perspective of a person of color, which I am not.

It's also pretty tame, containing some language and a small amount of blood; I don't know what it was rated, but I could see PG-13 being acceptable.

More
05 Nov 2017 10:21 - 05 Nov 2017 10:23 #257052 by Cranberries

Mad Dog wrote:

cranberries wrote:

Seen it. Overrated.

I don't think they were trying to turn Thor into Starlord. Thor's humor mostly came from the characters' arrogance. Either because he's so sure of himself he can joke confidently or so sure of himself that what he does backfires in his face. Starlord's humor mostly comes from him trying to be humorous and to look cool.

Well, I didn't say that Wilderpeople was the best movie every made. I'm pretty sure that the Wilderpeople director was brought in specifically to make Thor funny, because he was the most boring Avenger, and thereby Boost the Franchise. I liked Ragnarok way more than I thought I would--it's not a terrible movie. It also had a bit of a Fast and Furious vibe, which was also present in the Black Panther trailer. It felt like a mashup of a few other franchises. I don't care if movie studios do this, I just dislike it when it is done poorly and I notice, because it is distracting.
Last edit: 05 Nov 2017 10:23 by Cranberries.

More
05 Nov 2017 10:28 #257057 by Black Barney
Does Rys Darby make a cameo?!

More
05 Nov 2017 11:23 #257070 by SebastianBludd

Black Barney wrote: Does Rys Darby make a cameo?!

No, but I saw him in the trailer for Jumanji.

More
05 Nov 2017 11:57 - 05 Nov 2017 22:54 #257071 by Cranberries
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Nov 2017 22:54 by Cranberries.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.679 seconds