October 09, 2023
2579 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2776 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
26 Nov 2017 14:29 - 26 Nov 2017 14:30 #258210 by Sagrilarus

RobertB wrote: Sagrilarus wrote:

Oh, and I detest Zepplin.

Immigrant Song is the best track on LZ III, but needs to be about a minute longer.

No Zep song needs to be a minute longer. Most could use to be a minute shorter.

Their first album is pretty bluesy and I can deal with it. The minute Plant starts to whine it's over. The words to The Immigrant Song are pathetic, and Plant shrieks them. Sounds like a table saw going through wet wood.

Why are movies using 40 year old music to sell their scenes?

My other issue was the two M-16s in their starring role. Real out of place given recent headlines. Looking forward to some bozo that looks like me shouting "for Asgard" before shooting up a middle school. Hollywood needs to get off that shit. Every goddamn film and TV show has guns in a supporting role now. That guy needed a kick ass sword, and needed to not look like such a skinhead.
Last edit: 26 Nov 2017 14:30 by Sagrilarus.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2017 17:10 #258213 by __

Shellhead wrote:

Tron wrote: "I saw Alien Covenant". Which is 4 words more than that tripe deserved, one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Pathetic.

It was worse than Prometheus? Yikes. I was so disappointed with Prometheus that I still haven't seen Covenant.

Its not even close, and Prometheus was an awful mess. Covenant is a whole other level and has absolutely no redeeming features whatsoever. I bunged it in with a 3 for 2 rental for some random reason. It is mindboggling to me that when I for fun googled "Alien Covenant is one of the worst films I have ever seen" and followed one of the top links it was a forum thread for people calling out their worst sci films, and to my horror I realised the forum was an ALIEN COVENANT fan forum. I closed the tab and just hoped it was an elaborate troll. Let me reiterate. Prometheus while mostly terrible was at least bearable, Covenant is an affront to film making decency and should result in summary executions of some of the creative people involved in it.

More
26 Nov 2017 18:48 #258218 by Shellhead

Sagrilarus wrote: My other issue was the two M-16s in their starring role. Real out of place given recent headlines. Looking forward to some bozo that looks like me shouting "for Asgard" before shooting up a middle school. Hollywood needs to get off that shit. Every goddamn film and TV show has guns in a supporting role now. That guy needed a kick ass sword, and needed to not look like such a skinhead.

It was a clumsy attempt to replicate a great scene from a definitive run on Thor. The heroic exit of a classic villain:

More
26 Nov 2017 19:15 #258221 by hotseatgames
I saw Murder on the Orient Express. I found it boring, and with so many stars, almost none of them had significant screen time or were given much of anything interesting to do. 3/10

More
26 Nov 2017 19:24 #258222 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: My other issue was the two M-16s in their starring role. Real out of place given recent headlines. Looking forward to some bozo that looks like me shouting "for Asgard" before shooting up a middle school. Hollywood needs to get off that shit. Every goddamn film and TV show has guns in a supporting role now. That guy needed a kick ass sword, and needed to not look like such a skinhead.

It was a clumsy attempt to replicate a great scene from a definitive run on Thor. The heroic exit of a classic villain:

They clumsily converted it into the standard machine-gun-solves-the-problem scene in every other film. Had he used the machine guns as clubs it would have been far more interesting, an indication that he didn't know what he had and died defending Asgard in spite of it. But, it wouldn't have provided the standard shooting acene that is now as dependable as the day is long.

Does the gun industry pay the movie industry to insert these inane scenes? Is this like what big tobacco did in the 90s?

More
26 Nov 2017 20:34 #258225 by Shellhead
I left out a couple of pages:

That scene dates back to the '80s, several years before mass shootings became a weekly occurrence in the U.S.

More
29 Nov 2017 14:00 #258356 by Michael Barnes
Lots of watching over the holiday...

Thor: Ragnarok was awesome. I totally freaking loved it, and in a way that I really don't think I have ever loved a Marvel movie- even the better ones. Taika Waititi turned out to be the perfect choice to direct it, and his comic sense really shines through the whole thing. I think you could make the argument that its genre is more comedy than sci-fi or action or whatever, if you're splitting hairs. I laughed through the entire film. I mean COME ON, he's going to meet the Grandmaster (fucking GREAT!) and in the light tunnel or whatever it plays Willy Wonka's song. The interaction with Thor and Loki were WAY better than before, and I loved that you could kind of tell that both actors were relieved that they didn't have to act like this stuff was super serious melodrama. I also think Loki was written way better than ever before. I loved all of the skulls, flaming skulls, aliens, laser guns, dragons space ships...it was like pure 1980s nerd fantasy stuff exploding constantly, like arcade cabinet artwork rendered in live action. Hulk was good, loved all the goofy fan stuff with him, but Hulk v. Fenris on Bifrost...wow, never thought I'd see that. Cate Blanchett, OMG. She is already one of the most beautiful women in the world, but the evil bad lady makeover...damn. Valkyrie was lots of fun, but her, uh, penis was a little on the nose. I loved practically everything about this movie.

As for the Skurge thing above...well, what better solution is there for a horde of skeletons? I was OK with that, and it did remind me of those panels. Definitely a deep dive for the comics fans. Like the reference to Loki turning Thor into a frog. And how about Beta Ray Bill's cameo?

And then there's Spider-Man: Homecoming. Pretty fun, good teen stuff turns into boring mechanical villain crap with lots of unnecessary Iron Man. I liked all of the kid business, especially the Washington Monument. That was a nice change from the usual bad guy fights. But Vulture, Shocker, etc...bluh. Best moments were Blitzkrieg Bop and when Spidey accosts that guy with "interrogation mode" on and he has that hilarious masked voice. That completely cracked me up. In all, it wasn't terrible and it is probably the best Spider-Man movie...but it wasn't very good overall. I did feel like there were moments where it really felt right, but its straining to be part of the Marvel Universe, etc. really hurt it.

War for the Planet of the Apes continues that series' ability to surprise me with how good they are, and I think this is the best of the set. Very well-written and framed with lots of great photography and a melancholy tone that was unexpected. The little old dude they found was awesome, his vest and hat scene added some much levity in what was overall a pretty downbeat film. Harrelson was good, but you know what, he pretty much always is.

Speaking of Harrelson...I went all the way back to 1994 to watch Natural Born Killers. I haven't seen it since...maybe 1996/97? I remember all of the hoopla about it and at the time I just thought it was all really dumb and wasn't even interested in the movie at all. When I did see it, I wasn't shocked, I just thought it was lame. Well, that pretty much is my assessment 20 years on too. It was lame. But MAN ALIVE is it 1990s. It looks and feels so incredibly dated, and all of its arch cinema techniques and trickery look pretty timid and pale. You're not looking at a quantum shift, something really maverick like Bonnie and Clyde or The Wild Bunch, which is what I think Stone was shooting for. You're looking at a bunch of frippery dressing up a pretty stupid movie that believes its satire means something. Another connection with all of the above- RDJ is in it, which I forgot about.

Split was unwatchable. I don't know how people were able to sit through the whole thing. Conceptually, it had a cool idea but flipping it around to "OMG this is actually a comic book thing" at the last few minutes wasn't as shocking as it was in Unbreakable. How do I know since I found it unwatchable? I fast-forwarded to see the end. The rest of the film was just bad...it was weirdly shot, it had this kind of creepy (in the bad way) tone that I found awkward and off-putting.

Watched Kong: Skull Island twice. That is turning into a junk movie I really love. And then my kids watched Pacific Rim because they saw the trailer for the sequel in front of Thor, and I've come to really like that as a junk movie too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax

More
29 Nov 2017 14:14 #258357 by Gary Sax
Skull Island was much much better than I thought it would be. I will definitely see the next one if they ever get a chance to make it. I think we've already had this talk before and I'm late to the party.

More
29 Nov 2017 14:24 #258358 by Black Barney
I don't know why War for the Planet of the Apes didn't resonate with me at all. I really liked the idea of the little girl joining them and the responsiblity for her shifting to them, but the movie just didn't hit with me at all. It's obviously very good, even excellent, but i didn't feel anything at all watching it.

There's so much to see and catch up on...

I'm going to see Blade Runner 2049 tonight.
Will hopefully see LUCKY tomorrow as its leaving theatres and I have a feeling it's something very special.
Need to catch Florida Project too I think and will try and see Coco on the weekend. Man...so many movies...

More
29 Nov 2017 17:35 #258367 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I watched An American Werewolf in London yesterday, and I am starting to suspect that like Highlander it is actually a bad movie that gets loved for a cool concept and 2 or 3 good scenes. Apart from the North England scenes which are near perfect, everything is generally poorly directed, and the tone is all over the place as it wants to be lighthearted and funny but isn't, and if it is going for horror, the tone and structure aren't right.

More
29 Nov 2017 19:31 #258369 by Jackwraith

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: I watched An American Werewolf in London yesterday, and I am starting to suspect that like Highlander it is actually a bad movie that gets loved for a cool concept and 2 or 3 good scenes.

That is correct.

More
29 Nov 2017 20:51 #258371 by Black Barney
Jeeeez... Blade Runner was a lot more affecting than I was expecting

I think Dune is in good hands
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
30 Nov 2017 08:00 #258387 by stormseeker75

Michael Barnes wrote: Split was unwatchable. I don't know how people were able to sit through the whole thing. Conceptually, it had a cool idea but flipping it around to "OMG this is actually a comic book thing" at the last few minutes wasn't as shocking as it was in Unbreakable. How do I know since I found it unwatchable? I fast-forwarded to see the end. The rest of the film was just bad...it was weirdly shot, it had this kind of creepy (in the bad way) tone that I found awkward and off-putting.

I will disagree with you there. While it didn't weave the best yarn, it did excel in framing McAvoy's acting. His scenes where he flipped personalities mid sentence was awesome. But hey, I like M Night Shamalamadingdong so we probably come from different viewpoints.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
30 Nov 2017 15:34 #258419 by Hex Sinister

Black Barney wrote: Jeeeez... Blade Runner was a lot more affecting than I was expecting

I think Dune is in good hands

I loved it. Best sci-fi movie in years.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.515 seconds