October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What COMICS have you been reading? ARCHIVE

More
19 Oct 2010 21:30 #77102 by bfkiller
Stan Leer wrote:

I got through the the third trade. Do the wheels stop spinning after that?

I was loving Y at that point. No, the wheels were spinning for me about two-thirds through the story. Great finale, though. Literally brought a tear to the eye. I can't say that about any other comic I've read.
The topic has been locked.
More
21 Oct 2010 00:50 #77165 by metalface13
Sweet tooth sounds promising.
More
26 Oct 2010 09:31 - 26 Oct 2010 09:32 #77545 by Chapel
Just completed reading the Warren Ellis series Ocean. In my never ending quest to read what Ellis has to offer. The story follows that humanity has made it to the planets easily. A group of miners find what looks to be hundreds of coffins in the depths of the ocean of the moon Europa that are over a billion years old. A UN Weapons inspector is called in to investigate as it seems that not only are there alien animated suspension pods, but massive weapons and a giant wormhole ring at the depths of the ocean. This is where it get interesting. Along with your typical evil mega-corporation. Good times ensue. The story was fairly one dimensional, as most of it has been done before, but it was an entertaining read.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2010 09:32 by Chapel.
More
26 Oct 2010 11:52 #77557 by Josh Look
Anyone read Ignition City by Warren Ellis yet? I've read the first 2 issues. It's Warren Ellis being Warren Ellis. Tons of filthy language in ways nobody would ever talk and images you never in a million years really wanted to see. It's also pretty damn cool though.
More
26 Oct 2010 12:16 #77562 by Chapel
Josh Look wrote:

Anyone read Ignition City by Warren Ellis yet? I've read the first 2 issues. It's Warren Ellis being Warren Ellis. Tons of filthy language in ways nobody would ever talk and images you never in a million years really wanted to see. It's also pretty damn cool though.

I've read Ignition City. The thing I like about Ellis, is that he reminds me of the old day of Heavy Metal Magazine..The stories were over-sexed, sometimes tasteless, but mostly awesome to read.

The ones I'm working on next are Red(over the movies), Mek, Planetary, Orbiter, Black Summer, Switchblade Honey...And continuing to read Supergod(which is pretty cool)
More
26 Oct 2010 15:09 - 26 Oct 2010 15:10 #77586 by vandemonium
Chapel wrote:

Josh Look wrote:

I've read Ignition City. The thing I like about Ellis, is that he reminds me of the old day of Heavy Metal Magazine..The stories were over-sexed, sometimes tasteless, but mostly awesome to read.

The ones I'm working on next are Red(over the movies), Mek, Planetary, Orbiter, Black Summer, Switchblade Honey...And continuing to read Supergod(which is pretty cool)

Marvel's Nextwave was fantastico

I've been catching up on Kirkman's Walking Dead. By "catching up" I mean, I found Book One HC fairly cheap, read it in a day and was able to wait a week before ordering Book Two.
Last edit: 26 Oct 2010 15:10 by vandemonium.
More
26 Oct 2010 15:35 #77587 by ChristopherMD
Installed ComicZeal onto my iTouch and have started reading Nausicaa on it.
More
26 Oct 2010 20:43 #77615 by Jason Lutes
Mad Dog wrote:

Installed ComicZeal onto my iTouch and have started reading Nausicaa on it.

One of the greatest comics ever made, if you can get past the heavy exposition.
More
02 Nov 2010 16:24 #78314 by OldHippy
I just finished the new Astro City Silver Agent special. It's a great two part comic that really fills in some missing details from the Dark Age story arch.

It's not as good as the Samartan special (arguable the best single I've ever read in the super hero genre) or as the Beauty special. But it is better then the Astra one which came out last.

Now that he's done this special it's time for Dark Age to wind up with it's last four books. I am excited for that and still consider Astro City to be the best super hero comic since the days of Moore and Miller. The first succesfull re-construction of the super hero in popular comics.
More
09 Nov 2010 17:10 #78956 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I've been rereading the trade paperbacks of Grant Morrison's early 90's run on "Doom Patrol". Brilliant counter-cultural stuff and possibly my favourite work in the comic medium. However I tend to find it gets a bit samey after about 15 issues, so best to dip in and out every few months.
More
23 Nov 2010 16:49 #80152 by The Expanding Man
Atomic Robo trade paperback #3.

Highly recommended. Possibly the best Cthulhu tale I have read in a very long time.
More
23 Nov 2010 21:03 #80175 by ChristopherMD
The Expanding Man wrote:

Atomic Robo trade paperback #3.

Highly recommended. Possibly the best Cthulhu tale I have read in a very long time.

Cool. I've been reading the Atomic Robo's between other stuff and haven't gotten to that one yet.

Finished Nausicaa last week. It was good. I then watched the movie for the first time in years. It was better. I liked it more than the books, but that's because of knowing what's in the books. So I'd recommend the books to fans of the movie.
More
23 Nov 2010 21:50 #80179 by Josh Look
Atomic Robo is great fun. Love, love, love that book.

I've been reading Booster Gold: 52 Pickup. I picked it up after my comic shop offered a "satisfaction or your money back guarantee" back when it first came out. Haven't gotten around to reading it until now. Great book. I'll be able to weigh in more on it after I finish it.
More
02 Jan 2011 09:10 #83344 by Josh Look
I got the Astonishing X-Men omnibus for Christmas, so I've been reading that. I've read the first 2 volumes before but liked it enough to wait until I could get the omnibus to finish it.

This might be the next book I write about here on the site, but I'm likely to be considered to have a biased opinion of it. Before coming to this site, I wasn't really aware of the sort of animosity thrown at Joss Whedon, as everyone I know rather likes him solely based on Firefly. I've been reading it with the primary complaint made about him in mind, and that's that he tend to use a singular dialect (which I'll agree is prominent in his work, but I happen to like the way his characters talk). I don't really think that's the case with his X-Men. All the X-Men talk the way they always have. That's not to say that the traditional Whedon wit isn't there, but I find that most of it comes through in transitions from one scene to the next and the marriage of what's going on in the panel and the words being said (for example, the part when Ord says, "Are you INSANE?!" while he makes a face similar to the Toxic Avenger being punched in the balls).

Maybe I'll review it, maybe I won't. Bottom line is that I love it and I don't think has so much to do with my appreciation for Joss in the first place.
More
02 Jan 2011 12:17 #83346 by metalface13
Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men is probably my favorite X-Men line and favorite anything written by Whedon. I think he really nails the team dynamic and Kitty Pride has never been cooler.

I got the Dr. Horrible graphic novel, Fables vol. 14, Unwritten Vol. 2 and Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard for Christmas. If you're not reading Mouse Guard you should definitely pick that up. It is a perfect blend of cute and action.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds