October 09, 2023
2557 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2757 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Looking for recommendations

More
15 Dec 2018 16:33 #288256 by Katchoo
Replied by Katchoo on topic Looking for recommendations
Any thoughts on Zombicide?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2018 17:44 #288258 by Shellhead

Katchoo wrote: Any thoughts on Zombicide?

Nobody has successfully designed a great zombie board game so far. Zombicide is famous for being one of the early Kickstarters to make a lot of money by including a lot of fancy miniatures. Zombicide is not famous for actually being a good game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katchoo

More
15 Dec 2018 17:50 #288259 by Katchoo

Shellhead wrote:

Katchoo wrote: Any thoughts on Zombicide?

Nobody has successfully designed a great zombie board game so far. Zombicide is famous for being one of the early Kickstarters to make a lot of money by including a lot of fancy miniatures. Zombicide is not famous for actually being a good game.

Well wow. Glad I asked, especially since it's so expensive here. Thanks!

More
15 Dec 2018 18:01 #288260 by Gary Sax
Some people like it more than others. I believe some people liked the Black Plague version around here.

More
15 Dec 2018 18:22 #288262 by Katchoo

Gary Sax wrote: Some people like it more than others. I believe some people liked the Black Plague version around here.

I've heard some people preferring black plague but apparently it runs to 3 hours :/

I have another list I'm considering lol:

AuZtralia (4p) £49.95
Stuffed Fables (4p) £51.19
Grifters (4p) £21.43
Tiny Epic Zombies £21.59
K2 £30.30
Battle for Rokugan £29.59

Some of those are 4p. I'd prefer 5p but they still look good enough to consider.

For those who recommended Battle for Rokugan can you briefly tell me what kind of game it is? I'm trying to watch review videos but my illness doesn't really allow for much of that. It makes choosing games pretty difficult. I'm buying one more then that's it, promise lol. Thanks once again you guys for the help.

More
15 Dec 2018 18:48 #288267 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Looking for recommendations
Stuffed Fables is fun if you like story adventures/RPG kinds of games. It's like role-playing Toy Story. You are a group of Stuffed Animals. Your child's blanket has been stolen by some evil fantasy type minions. You have to try to find it in a kind of kid's nightmare world. There is a branching story, and you have to make choices, solve puzzles and make some skill checks, fight some baddies.

Definitely aimed at kids/families though. So your milage may vary.

More
15 Dec 2018 18:52 #288269 by Katchoo

ubarose wrote: Stuffed Fables is fun if you like story adventures/RPG kinds of games. It's like role-playing Toy Story. You are a group of Stuffed Animals. Your child's blanket has been stolen by some evil fantasy type minions. You have to try to find it in a kind of kid's nightmare world. There is a branching story, and you have to make choices, solve puzzles and make some skill checks, fight some baddies.

Definitely aimed at kids/families though. So your milage may vary.

Haha that sounds really cute but it's maybe not for my bf's group. Thanks for that description.

More
15 Dec 2018 21:08 #288274 by hotseatgames
Black Plague was fun the single time I played it. The best zombie game I have encountered is Walking Dead All Out War, but it's really kind of a miniatures game. Zpocalypse 2 is cool, but it's fairly deep.

More
15 Dec 2018 22:18 #288276 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Looking for recommendations
The first time I played Zombicide, I also played Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles for the first time that same week. I liked TMNT so much more that it made Zombicide seem really “meh.”

More
16 Dec 2018 03:32 #288294 by Shellhead

Katchoo wrote: For those who recommended Battle for Rokugan can you briefly tell me what kind of game it is? I'm trying to watch review videos but my illness doesn't really allow for much of that. It makes choosing games pretty difficult. I'm buying one more then that's it, promise lol. Thanks once again you guys for the help.

Battle for Rokugan takes place in fantasy version of Japan, where seven great clans battle for control of the land. The game allows for 2 to 5 players, and takes about an hour to play a full game of five turns. Each turn, players draw several tokens from their clan's token supply, and then take turns placing those tokens face down. You can see which clan played where, but you don't know if they played an army or ninja, or maybe played a diplomacy token to make a region safe or a raid token to destroy a region. Once all the tokens are placed for the turn, they are all flipped over and resolved. Victory points are awarded at the end of the game for each area controlled and also if a player manages to accomplish their secret victory condition. There are also special ability cards for various sections of the map that can be played by the player that takes control of a section. This description may sound dry, but the actual game play is interesting because there is so much potential for bluffing with the facedown tokens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, Hadik, WadeMonnig, Katchoo

More
16 Dec 2018 07:24 - 16 Dec 2018 10:30 #288296 by Katchoo

Shellhead wrote:

Katchoo wrote: For those who recommended Battle for Rokugan can you briefly tell me what kind of game it is? I'm trying to watch review videos but my illness doesn't really allow for much of that. It makes choosing games pretty difficult. I'm buying one more then that's it, promise lol. Thanks once again you guys for the help.

Battle for Rokugan takes place in fantasy version of Japan, where seven great clans battle for control of the land. The game allows for 2 to 5 players, and takes about an hour to play a full game of five turns. Each turn, players draw several tokens from their clan's token supply, and then take turns placing those tokens face down. You can see which clan played where, but you don't know if they played an army or ninja, or maybe played a diplomacy token to make a region safe or a raid token to destroy a region. Once all the tokens are placed for the turn, they are all flipped over and resolved. Victory points are awarded at the end of the game for each area controlled and also if a player manages to accomplish their secret victory condition. There are also special ability cards for various sections of the map that can be played by the player that takes control of a section. This description may sound dry, but the actual game play is interesting because there is so much potential for bluffing with the facedown tokens.

Thank you so much <3

Is it battley?

I like the hidden info and bluffing. My bf is into that and stuff like traitors. Thanks once again for that description <3

Edit: I mean, obviously it's battley but is the whole game based around fighting? I don't even know if my bf would be opposed to that anyway, but just wondering.
Last edit: 16 Dec 2018 10:30 by Katchoo.

More
16 Dec 2018 11:23 #288303 by Shellhead

Katchoo wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Thank you so much <3

Is it battley?

I like the hidden info and bluffing. My bf is into that and stuff like traitors. Thanks once again for that description <3

Edit: I mean, obviously it's battley but is the whole game based around fighting? I don't even know if my bf would be opposed to that anyway, but just wondering.

Yeah, the whole game is about battles. The way the game actually plays out is fairly dynamic. Control of the board can look almost completely different on turns 1 and 5.

Four (army, navy, ninja, blessing) of the seven types of tokens are added up to determine who won the battle, along with any castle tokens for the defender. All tokens are discarded at the end of each turn, except control tokens showing who controls each location, and castle tokens indicating successful defense of a location. The diplomacy token makes a location immune to attack, while the raid token destorys a location. There is also a bluff token that can be used once every turn and allows you to save one of your other tokens for next turn. Most of the tokens are army or navy, and each clan gets one extra token that fits their style. For example, the Lion clan is known for having the biggest army, so they are the only clan to get an army token with a value of 6. The Phoenix clan is known for powerful magic, so they get an extra blessing token.

Each player also starts with two scout cards and a shugenja (magic priest) card. You can discard a scout card to peek at someone's facedown token, and you can discard the shugenja to discard a facedown token.

There is a surprising amount of game in Battle for Rokugan, given that it is inexpensive and comes in a small box. Though not necessary, I bought seven small dice bags and applied iron-on decals of the clan symbols. Players can draw their tokens from their bag instead of flipping over all their tokens on the table and then shuffling them around. Here is a link to my post about the bags:

therewillbe.games/forum/34-pimp-my-game/...ames?start=15#275531
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Dec 2018 12:04 - 16 Dec 2018 12:08 #288307 by Katchoo

Shellhead wrote:

Katchoo wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Thank you so much <3

Is it battley?

Yeah, the whole game is about battles. The way the game actually plays out is fairly dynamic. Control of the board can look almost completely different on turns 1 and 5.

Four (army, navy, ninja, blessing) of the seven types of tokens are added up to determine who won the battle, along with any castle tokens for the defender. All tokens are discarded at the end of each turn, except control tokens showing who controls each location, and castle tokens indicating successful defense of a location. The diplomacy token makes a location immune to attack, while the raid token destorys a location. There is also a bluff token that can be used once every turn and allows you to save one of your other tokens for next turn. Most of the tokens are army or navy, and each clan gets one extra token that fits their style. For example, the Lion clan is known for having the biggest army, so they are the only clan to get an army token with a value of 6. The Phoenix clan is known for powerful magic, so they get an extra blessing token.

Each player also starts with two scout cards and a shugenja (magic priest) card. You can discard a scout card to peek at someone's facedown token, and you can discard the shugenja to discard a facedown token.

There is a surprising amount of game in Battle for Rokugan, given that it is inexpensive and comes in a small box. Though not necessary, I bought seven small dice bags and applied iron-on decals of the clan symbols. Players can draw their tokens from their bag instead of flipping over all their tokens on the table and then shuffling them around. Here is a link to my post about the bags:

Wow, those bags are class. How do the iron on transfers work? Do you print the logos onto the transfer paper? I've only got a b&w laser printer.

Thanks a lot for the info again. I'm strangely drawn to this game. I like the art and the setting and I think it's quite different to what my bf is used to playing. And yeah, it's on the cheaper side. I like the discarding of the scout to peek at another person's token. This is a hard decision. Does it feel fiddly with all those little tokens? Is it hard to keep track of the board? Currently my list looks like this:

AuZtralia (4p) £49.95
Whistle Stop £47.37
Adrenaline £32.99
Grifters (4p) £21.43

Thanks once again for your help :)

Edit: also, anyone played Cryptid?
Last edit: 16 Dec 2018 12:08 by Katchoo.

More
16 Dec 2018 21:40 #288316 by Katchoo
Sorry, me again. Just wondering if any of you have played Outlive? I know it's a euro but it looks super cool. It's just that it's 4p... but I think I might buy it anyway :O

More
16 Dec 2018 22:23 #288320 by Shellhead

Katchoo wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Katchoo wrote:

Shellhead wrote:

Thank you so much <3

Is it battley?

Wow, those bags are class. How do the iron on transfers work? Do you print the logos onto the transfer paper? I've only got a b&w laser printer.

Thanks a lot for the info again. I'm strangely drawn to this game. I like the art and the setting and I think it's quite different to what my bf is used to playing. And yeah, it's on the cheaper side. I like the discarding of the scout to peek at another person's token. This is a hard decision. Does it feel fiddly with all those little tokens? Is it hard to keep track of the board? Currently my list looks like this:

AuZtralia (4p) £49.95
Whistle Stop £47.37
Adrenaline £32.99
Grifters (4p) £21.43

Thanks once again for your help :)

Edit: also, anyone played Cryptid?

I bought the iron-on transfer paper at an office supply store, and craft stores probably sell it as well. The important thing is there are two different types of paper, one for use on a light background and the other for a dark background. I used the paper for the light background, so my images would print the opposite direction of how they would transfer onto the bags. So I set up my images in advance on an excel spreadsheet so they would all fit on one page. Excel also allows for basic but easy manipulation of images, so I could quickly do a 180 degree flip from left to right on each of my images. To avoid wrecking a bag with the iron, set the temperature for a slightly cooler setting than whatever is recommended for your bag material. Apply steady pressure for a couple of minutes, but not the full five minutes recommended. Check to see that the whole iron-on is sticking on all the edges with no loose flaps, and then your are done. Wait a few minutes for the patch to cool before pulling off the backing paper.

The game does not feel fiddly with all the tokens. You are only drawing six tokens each turn and then placing five of them, while taking turns with the other players during placement. The tokens have an arrow on side, so you can see exactly which border or location is targeted by the token. Each player has a screen for their clan which explains how each token type works, and gives you a place to hide your tokens each turn during the draw and placement phases. The screen also describes your clan's special ability and the turn sequence. Although the token sheets are well-designed for easy removal of the tokens, be careful. I had a little trouble punching two of the Crane clan tokens, so I took it slow to get them out without damage. It's important that all the action tokens for each clan look identical on one side.

Keeping track of the board isn't hard, either. The map is attractive but functional. The clan symbols on the tokens are small, but the colors are different so you can tell the difference between each clan. Token resolution seems like it could be confusing, but there is a specific order to how they are resolved that prevents chaos. There is no overlap between battles, so each battle can be resolved easily and it doesn't matter which battle is resolved first.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds