October 09, 2023
2557 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2756 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Looking for recommendations

More
20 Jan 2019 15:15 #290304 by Katchoo
Replied by Katchoo on topic Looking for recommendations
Hi guys. I've been doing a lot of research (still). I got Level 7 OP. I now have my sights on:

Space Cadets Away Missions (already recommended in here but I'm not sure if it's good with 5)
DOOM (can't remember if it was recommended here but this may be too long)
The Others (someone told me it could take up to 30 minutes to set up which was off-putting)

Also ignore what I said about SW:IA. Apparently he's played it several times and really likes it. (I clearly have no idea what he's up to with his gaming group lol). He has no interest in Descent though.

Does anyone have anything to say about those 3 games? Thanks everyone. Posting here cos you guys seem like you know your shit :)

(Yes, I'm addicted to buying games but his bday is coming up so that's my excuse. After that I won't be buying any more until xmas.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2019 15:34 #290305 by hotseatgames
I can only speak on DOOM, as it's the only one I've played. I do own it.

DOOM is a lot of fun, and captures the source material well. Scenarios do suffer from balance issues. Interestingly enough, the balance is in general swung in favor of the "many", instead of the "one." I have always played as the Overlord, since it's my game. I have never even come close to winning.

This is fine, since playing as Space Marines is supposed to be a power trip. Everyone playing has a great time, since they feel like total bad-asses. That said, a few bumps to the Overlord's power would be great. It's also possible that I'm just bad at it.

I made a small mini-expansion for it that makes it full Co-op. It's on BGG in the files section.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Katchoo

More
20 Jan 2019 16:08 #290306 by Jackwraith
The new version of Doom is fine. There's an adjustment to be made to the first scenario, where the designer acknowledged that they had perhaps made it too easy for the Marines. If you poke around the BGG page, you can find the designer suggesting that removing a couple health packs from the first scenario will bring it back into line. (I wonder if their initial weight toward the Marines was a reaction to the original (2004) version, where as long as the Invader player wasn't drunk, there was no way for the Marines to win anything past the first scenario and often not that one, either.)

I really enjoy The Others, but it's a little expansion-heavy. You get two of the Sins with the box, which is plenty to play with, but have to pick up the other five separately. Set up taking a half hour is ridiculous, though. I haven't had a game take more than 10 minutes to set up, which includes putting your hero team together.

More
20 Jan 2019 16:21 - 21 Jan 2019 07:28 #290307 by southernman
Doom - echo what Hotseat said, lots of killing fun. I have the first edition and the Overlord can do pretty well, especially if they get a good sequence of cards and dice rolls, last game our OL fragged us 6 times by the third room.

Imperial Assualt - the Star Wars edition of Descent. Lots of fun and content (= money spent) if you like this, we play a lot od Descent. There also is a free online app that allows you to play in co-op against the app so good when there's just two of you (running two heroes each).

Space Cadets Away Missions - lots of fun and a challenge. Our group is only four so can't comment on a 5 player game but can't see a big problem with it, the game timer means you will have fewer turns each before the shit starts flying but then you'll have more characters to do stuff with. The designer and his wife are long-termers on this site so they may be able to comment on that. If you can find a copy for £50 or under here in the UK that is a good price, there's one on BGG in the UK for a bit more so make the owner an offer.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2019 07:28 by southernman.

More
20 Jan 2019 16:38 #290308 by Katchoo
Amazing, guys. I'm almost sold on all 3 now haha

And yeah, someone told me the setup to The Others is 20-30mins and no one chimed in to disagree so I thought it was legit. That was the main thing holding me back.

My bf played DOOM recently, the PS4 version, and he really loved it so that's why I'm keen on it but I think 3 hours would make it difficult to get to the table. At the same time, if he really wanted to, he could probably make it happen.

For Space Cadets I think I was having to import it from the US for £66. I don't know if it's worth it or not. Does anyone know what the price used to be in the UK when it was available?

Thanks so much again everyone.

More
20 Jan 2019 18:13 #290311 by engineer Al

southernman wrote: Space Cadets Away Missions - lots of fun and a challenge. Our group is only four so can't comment on a 5 player game but can't see a big prooblem with it, the game timer means you will have fewer turns each before the shit starts flying but then you'll have more characters to do stuff with. The designer and his wife are long-termers on this site so they may be able to comment on that.

So here's the thing about AWAY MISSIONS and 5 players. Not all of the scenarios can handle more than 4 players. There are four that can handle 2-6 and the four that are modified versions of scenarios that are adapted for 5-6 players. So eight scenarios overall that can handle 5 which actually sounds like a good amount but since this game is packed with scenarios it only works out to less than half of them. But that just means you have plenty left to play for those times when there are less than 5 adventurers!

Also works particularly great for two when it's just the two of you. . .
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike, Katchoo

More
20 Jan 2019 18:35 #290313 by Katchoo

engineer Al wrote:

southernman wrote: Space Cadets Away Missions - lots of fun and a challenge. Our group is only four so can't comment on a 5 player game but can't see a big prooblem with it, the game timer means you will have fewer turns each before the shit starts flying but then you'll have more characters to do stuff with. The designer and his wife are long-termers on this site so they may be able to comment on that.

So here's the thing about AWAY MISSIONS and 5 players. Not all of the scenarios can handle more than 4 players. There are four that can handle 2-6 and the four that are modified versions of scenarios that are adapted for 5-6 players. So eight scenarios overall that can handle 5 which actually sounds like a good amount but since this game is packed with scenarios it only works out to less than half of them. But that just means you have plenty left to play for those times when there are less than 5 adventurers!

Also works particularly great for two when it's just the two of you. . .

Thanks. That sounds reasonable. Just one question: is the game a campaign or are the scenarios stand alone? Actually another question :) What is the set-up time like? Thanks!

More
20 Jan 2019 18:57 #290314 by engineer Al

Katchoo wrote: Just one question: is the game a campaign or are the scenarios stand alone? Actually another question :) What is the set-up time like? Thanks!

The scenarios can absolutely be played as a stand alone. There's a loose story that ties them together which is fun but not necessary at all to playing the game.

Set-up time is pretty quick for me, but I have a good deal of experience behind that. I could see that it would be a bit slow the first few times, but once you get it down it's not bad. Not "quick" but no worse than your standard game of this type (scenario based adventure).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Katchoo

More
20 Jan 2019 19:14 #290315 by Katchoo
Ok, I've just bought Away Missions and The Others. Wheeeeeeeeeeee.

Thanks so much everyone for the helpful replies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, hotseatgames, engineer Al

More
20 Jan 2019 20:18 #290316 by engineer Al
ENJOY!!!!!!!!

More
20 Jan 2019 20:39 #290319 by Katchoo

engineer Al wrote: ENJOY!!!!!!!!

Thank you :D

More
26 Jan 2019 15:16 #290719 by Katchoo
Hey guys, have any of you got any experience with Mechs vs Minions? I've found it at a more reasonable price and I'd been interested in it before until I saw it was £700 on amazon. I don't really know much about it. I tried watching a runthrough but my concentration is dead. I did manage an unboxing video though and it at least looks impressive. So anyway, opinions? Thanks as always.

More
26 Jan 2019 16:28 #290721 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Looking for recommendations
I played Mechs vs Minions once, but I don't remember much about it other than it was pretty and the minis were cute. So I guess my opinion of it is that it wasn't memorable.

More
26 Jan 2019 16:46 #290722 by Michael Barnes
My kids and I loved it, we’ve played it through 1.5 times. It is a campaign thing, and you realy have to play it that way. It’s not really a one off session thing, which is its only weakness. It’s kind of like a Roboraly thing, which I usually don’t care for, but the teamwork and coordination required is really fun- as is when everything goes pear shaped when someone is damaged and can only turn left or something. The cardplay mechanisms are excellent, the scenarios are compelling. There is a little “radio drama” you can listen to between each game, fully voice acted with sound effects and everything. Realy cute.

It’s a hell of a production too- astonishing that they sold it for like $80 USD.

It’s actually a forever shelfer here...totally singular, nothing else like it.

More
26 Jan 2019 17:21 #290723 by Katchoo
Excellent, thank you! That's a glowing recommendation Michael. I'll put it to my boyfriend and see what he thinks. He has an eye on Gloomhaven though (I think it'd be too heavy for me).

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds