October 09, 2023
2537 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2738 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

What are your favorite Halloween games?

More
05 Oct 2023 23:25 #340701 by hotseatgames
Got my ship notice for the new version of The Gothic Game. I hope I can get a game of it going this season.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, sornars, n815e, TomHenry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Oct 2023 19:53 #340723 by drewcula
Me too!

FYI: I painted Gothic's bust of Dracula for a contest the publisher offered.

I won!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, hotseatgames, sornars, Nodens, DarthJoJo

More
09 Oct 2023 20:09 #340724 by hotseatgames
It's illegal to win a painting contest and not post a photo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula, birdman37

More
13 Oct 2023 10:51 #340751 by Virabhadra
And let us know how you decide to post the photos. Pictures on BGG seem to be automatically downsampled, and Imgur works well for hosting photos except that I can't get the straight-up photo URL without logging into the Imgur website with my browser on Desktop Mode. There has to be an easier way.

More
13 Oct 2023 11:15 #340752 by Shellhead
My annual pre-Halloween board game event is this Sunday, from noon until nine. At least 8 people will be showing up (though #8 won't show until 6 PM, but it is possible that we might have as many as 12. So here is my current game plan to entertain up to a dozen players all at the same table:

1. Camp Grizzly. With all the expansions, this game can handle a dozen players. If people show up late, their characters start in the woods.

2. Desperation. This seems to be more of story-telling exercise than a game, but we will give it a try. I am going to tape construction paper over my basement windows, turn out the lights, turn on a couple of battery-powered LED lanterns that flicker like candles, and put on a sea shanty mix. Then we will do The Isabel scenario. The limit on player numbers seems arbitrary, given that we are just taking turns reading cards and adding improv elements.

3. The Gothic Game. Although there are only movement tokens for 8 players, I can add a few more from other games.

4. Other games. If somebody brought a thematic game that can handle a big group, we will play that. Otherwise, I will suggest to players that we could play Werewolf, Psycho Raiders, Slasher Flick, Zombies!!!, or even Zombies!!! vs Humans!!!. One woman who might show really wants to play Nuclear War/Escalation, and that certainly works with a big group. Otherwise, we can split into two tables, and that opens all kinds of possibilities, like Fury of Dracula or Mall of Horror. Or we might play Camp Grizzly again, because everybody loves that game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, sornars, n815e

More
16 Oct 2023 10:31 #340777 by drewcula
this link should show off my wares:
www.kickstarter.com/projects/blackletter...game-0/posts/3728383

Fang you very much
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, sornars, Nodens

More
16 Oct 2023 14:07 #340778 by Smeagol
Also go the Gothic Game kickstarter recently and had our first play last night.

The whole group seemd to enjoy it. I was a tiny bit concerned these reprints or old games I acquire usualy end up disappointing either because things get changed in the reprint or the moment for that type of game seems to have passed, but it was fun! Feels like the player who became the vampire had too much power, but we've only played once.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, drewcula, sornars, n815e

More
16 Oct 2023 14:18 #340779 by hotseatgames
Just basing this on one play as well, but I think the Vampire has plenty of checks and balances. My potential issue is the Haunt mechanic; on paper it sounds good, but in practice it seemed highly unlikely for anyone to actually get to use it to return to the game.

I was debating this house rule: You can draw the cards as normal, with each result giving you +1 space on the resurrection track, OR simply go up 1 on the track with no card drawing whatsoever. So a bit more risk and reward, since we saw our first dead player get knocked down on the track twice from drawing DEATH results.

I totally get that the game does not want to keep letting people come back to life, but they only come back with 4 health and the Death Knell cards force the game to end quickly anyway.
The following user(s) said Thank You: drewcula, sornars

More
16 Oct 2023 22:52 #340783 by n815e
This game sounds fun.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds