October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2744 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Boardgame News.... with Bite.

More
13 May 2009 13:33 #28649 by Black Barney
Mr MOTO wrote:

I play all my games to be in 'not last place' now... I look for game mechanics that can keep me in 'not last place' for hours and hours on end. I'll never 'win', but I know I can strive to be in 'not last place'... Oh boy is that fun too!!! Does anyone know of a game that I can play for maybe 6-12 hours on end and know that there will be no chance of a 'winner'? Yee haw! Good times. 'Winning' is for losers.

the hell... ? That's exactly what I was saying. Games which go on and on because someone is preventing someone from winning are awful games. I hate games where people working together can keep a game going for hours to prevent one or two people from trying to end the game.

I must have been speaking in tongues or something

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2009 13:34 - 13 May 2009 13:45 #28650 by ChristopherMD
I agree with Michael on this one. The fewer games I own the more I realize how few I ever needed. I mostly play the same games with the same friends though while the rest sit there waiting for the right moment.
Last edit: 13 May 2009 13:45 by Ken B..

More
13 May 2009 13:46 #28655 by Ken B.
Dude, I need my admin privileges revoked, I tried to quote Mad Dog and ended up editing his post instead. I think I fixed it.

What I was going to say in response to him was:

"What sucks is the blinding realization that this moment may never happen. Or worse, the moment may happen and you realize you have 12 games that were waiting on that exact moment."

More
13 May 2009 13:53 #28658 by ChristopherMD
Ken B. wrote:

Dude, I need my admin privileges revoked, I tried to quote Mad Dog and ended up editing his post instead. I think I fixed it.

YOU FUCKING DICK THEN BULLSHIT

More
13 May 2009 13:54 #28659 by Bullwinkle
Mad Dog wrote:

In the real world of earning profit, I would gladly settle for second or third because that's still a lot of money and success. In a board game I don't see the point, you either win or lose. You can play the game again and maybe the outcome will be different. If I come in second place, its because I failed to come in first place not because I fought someone for second.

Oh, yes. In games, Poker is the obvious case. Frankly, I couldn't care who 'wins' at all, as long as I'm in the black at the end of the night. Except in tournaments, and even then, I'm really looking to make back my buy-in. Anything on top of that is gravy. (Although, I admit, if it's down to the final two, I want that prize.

In fairness, I think it's reasonable to have other goals in a boardgame if it's clear you're not going to win. In fact, this allows much more interesting scenarios, in a way: you could pit smaller countries against larger ones, for example, and still have an interesting game. But all the goals I would have would be thematic, e.g. capture this city, retain an empire by holding this section of the map, corner the silver market, etc. Except for economic games, where money essentially is the VP count, I can't imagine being interested in saying 'ha, my buildings give me 37 VPs while you only get 36, you're last, neener neener neener'. Waste of time.

More
13 May 2009 14:03 #28667 by Mr MOTO
Black Barney wrote:

I must have been speaking in tongues or something

I'm agreeing with you. :)

P.S. How many tongues do you have? First mutant dogs and now multitongued ATers!

More
13 May 2009 14:06 #28668 by Black Barney
ah ok, cool. Glad to know we're on the same page.

hey which one of us is going to grow out of weiner-posting status first?

More
13 May 2009 14:08 #28670 by Bullwinkle
Uh, admins? Black Barney and Mr. MOTO are comparing wieners again.

More
13 May 2009 14:27 #28673 by Michael Barnes
Larry Levy rates them both a 7.

More
13 May 2009 14:36 #28675 by Black Barney
mine's a 9

hey, being that I'm relatively new to AT, how long do running gags stay in the news cycle? Like this whole rating everything a 7 thing... how much longer is that joke going to stay current?

It's like watching Letterman. I think that guy purposely goes through monthly or quarterly gags that last WEEKS, sometimes months.

Dick Assman

More
13 May 2009 14:41 #28676 by hancock.tom
The 7s joke will last until next year when Larry rates everything between a 6.5 (gasp) and a 9 in an effort to rock the boat.

ubarose wrote:

I'm no expert. I only own 29 games

How many games does someone need to own for their opinion to be considered valid, informative or useful?

Just asking.

Ryan B seems to have disappeared :P

More
13 May 2009 14:42 #28677 by Shellhead
Black Barney wrote:

hey, being that I'm relatively new to AT, how long do running gags stay in the news cycle? Like this whole rating everything a 7 thing... how much longer is that joke going to stay current?

Like the news cycle, the 7 joke will linger until something else comes along.

More
13 May 2009 14:46 #28678 by ubarose
hancock.tom wrote:

The 7s joke will last until next year when Larry rates everything between a 6.5 (gasp) and a 9 in an effort to rock the boat.

ubarose wrote:

I'm no expert. I only own 29 games

How many games does someone need to own for their opinion to be considered valid, informative or useful?

Just asking.

Ryan B seems to have disappeared :P

Dudes, did you weinies chase Ryan B off? That sucks. I like him.

More
13 May 2009 14:46 #28679 by Black Barney
ugh... the 7 joke is like Joe the Plumber then

More
13 May 2009 14:47 #28681 by ChristopherMD
Black Barney wrote:

mine's a 9

Did Mr Levy ever post part 3 of 3 for that series where he was supposed to list the stuff he didn't like? Only parts 1 and 2 were linked to from here and I don't normally read BGN.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds