October 09, 2023
2553 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2752 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Boardgame News.... with Bite.

More
14 May 2009 00:33 #28752 by Mr MOTO
mjl1783 wrote:

The game would be longer, yes, but there doesn't seem to be a lot too SmallWorld as it exists now.

There's not a lot to it, but that's intentional. It's basically a kids' game, it's for ages 8 and up. In that context, I think the simplicity and unrealistic troop movement are just fine. If you start looking at it like it's a real fantays wargame, or a serious strategy excercise where you squeeze every possible VP you can out of every turn, it's not going to be any fun. So, y'know, don't do that.

Thanks for telling me what I should and shouldn't do. Are these threads now just feeding to TOS? ;)

I don't think a little more realistic troop movement could hurt all that much. Just a wee bit more.

I haven't seen a lot of kids playing this yet. Though I suppose they could. If the game were cheaper I'd buy it and fire it up for some of the good sports that I introduce games too. We played Quicksand and Niagara tonight instead. They had a blast with both, esp Quicksand. I'm referring to the 1989 Parker Brothers edition with the sectioned explorers. It had more options than the typical move and roll of that time did. I just bought the game for cheap for the figures, but before I cannibalized the game for them, I figured I'd give it a try with the recommended playing audience. They had a hoot with the ever sinking and rising explorers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2009 04:15 #28760 by Matt Thrower
Ryan B. wrote:

BTW, most of these forum conversations take place during the day... and by nightfall its dead.

Don't any of you guys have jobs? (LOL)

I have the same problem posting from a different time zone. It drives me mad. It especially drove me mad when my inability to post it the same time frame as everyone else meant all the slots for forum play BSG filled up before I could say "me! me!".

I was amused to note that you were inspired by an article of mine that you'd criticised (with some validity, as I noted in the discussion). I'm glad it served some useful purpose for you :) Certainly your arguments hold water as far as I can see. Saying that either you or I are ascribing undue amounts of "influence" to one section of the game industry or another (as some of the BGN commentators have done) does not invalidate the argument - it simply means the impact of what we're describing is possibly less than we're suggesting. But the problems are still there.

And of course it doesn't matter how many games you own. What matters rather more is how many different games you've played, and whether or not they span a wide range of game styles, themes and mechanics.

More
14 May 2009 06:47 #28762 by Schweig!
This thread made me enter sevenity.

MattDP wrote:

Ryan B. wrote:

BTW, most of these forum conversations take place during the day... and by nightfall its dead.

Don't any of you guys have jobs? (LOL)

I have the same problem posting from a different time zone. It drives me mad. It especially drove me mad when my inability to post it the same time frame as everyone else meant all the slots for forum play BSG filled up before I could say "me! me!".

Why not start a second game?

More
14 May 2009 06:59 #28763 by Matt Thrower
Schweig! wrote:

Why not start a second game?

Are you volunteering to GM then? Excellent! Count me in :)

More
14 May 2009 07:06 #28764 by Schweig!
Well, I do have some time at hand, but I neither own the game nor have any tools to play it online. Also I'm not online on weekends and only visit this site once or a at maximum twice a day (for variable lengths). Consequently, a game I GMed would run an awfully lot slower than Ken's.

More
14 May 2009 09:03 #28767 by Matt Thrower
Schweig! wrote:

Well, I do have some time at hand, but I neither own the game nor have any tools to play it online. Also I'm not online on weekends and only visit this site once or a at maximum twice a day (for variable lengths). Consequently, a game I GMed would run an awfully lot slower than Ken's.

Exactly. That's why we can't just start another one - no-one else is up for running the game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.132 seconds