October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about whatever you like related to games that doesn't fit anywhere else.

The 2 day suspension of GROGnads on BGG

More
19 Sep 2008 03:35 - 19 Sep 2008 19:57 #11564 by daveroswell
For this:

www.boardgamegeek.com/article/2655888

You be the judge. I can't understand a lot of what was being said (It is GROG after all), but I believe one of his submissions was being rejected because people felt there may be a copyright issue?

I'm curious to see if you guys can shed some light on the matter.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2008 19:57 by Mr Skeletor. Reason: Fixed your link - Mr S.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2008 07:51 #11565 by Notahandle
The outraged element are slagging him off for trying to get GeekGold for text created by someone else. The checkbox "This is a good post - please consider it for a GeekGold award (Pending user moderation - post will be hidden until approved. If it is not awarded geekgold, it will not be posted to the forums.)" defaults to unchecked, i.e. not trying for GeekGold. My understanding is that it all goes through GeekMod regardless of whether you check the box or not. GROGnads has been around long enough to know the rules, so I doubt very much that he was trying to get GeekGold for this. I've read many of his submissions and am sure his motivation is to add to the available information. Bottom line: the attackers have jumped to a false conclusion in order to attack someone who dared to post something critical. Odds are one of the sheep called in a shepherd to threadlock and/or ban. Baaa!!!

More
19 Sep 2008 10:41 #11569 by Aarontu
The article is posted without any moderation if the "this is a good post" box is left unchecked. He's just mad the mods didn't think it was worth a GG reward.

Maybe I missed it, but where does it say he got suspended from BGG?

More
19 Sep 2008 11:37 #11570 by TheDukester
Zero sympathy. He's a First-Degree Asshat who has gotten away with murder for years over there with his mastery of the passive-aggressive attack (and by adding 10,000 smilies even when he's telling another user to fuck themselves).

He finally got zinged? Boo hoo. Cry me a river, GrogIdiot.

More
19 Sep 2008 11:48 #11571 by Bulwyf
I never read his shit anyways because of his asinine formatting. No loss.

-Will

More
19 Sep 2008 12:02 #11572 by Gary Sax
Anyone who would be so retarded as to intentionally make themselves unintelligible can fuck off anyway, and whoever said he has been getting away with murder for years is oh so right.

More
19 Sep 2008 12:03 #11573 by jeb
Yeah, he received my first dose of plonktonium. He seems to comment on every thread and always with the totally bizarre and unintelligible gobbledygook. He might actually be saying interesting things. But the formatting makes it incomprehensible.

More
19 Sep 2008 12:56 - 19 Sep 2008 12:59 #11577 by Deleted User 1
It is all part of the BGG strategy. Ban a high profile user, start a riot and generate hits on BGG website.

The problem with this strategy is that it used to work but it is no longer viable. The fact is there are very few high profile users left on BGG, save Skeletor who is banned so often nobody notices anymore.

What you are seeing is the early implosion of BGG. Now with Derk back you will start to see some wild hair schemes to generate hits but I think you will see them less and less effective.

BGG is way out of line on banning people, they are trying to control personalities which no one will stand for at all.

The fact is F:AT is the best boardgaming website right now. The community is small, and varied enough with plenty of debate and also sticks pretty much to boardgames.

I have to say, that one look through the politics and sex forum on BGG is enough to confirm there is way too many nuts out there!
Last edit: 19 Sep 2008 12:59 by Deleted User 1.

More
19 Sep 2008 13:25 #11579 by daveroswell
Well Steve,

I go on BGG for game help guides and such. I do go on BGG chat at night. I work graveyard shift and am typically bored at 3AM.

Honestly, I do go on F: AT to read well written articles and for the personalities on F: AT are more informed than the BGG guys as a whole.

I do think there is room for both websites, and an "implosion" of either site is neither inevitable or necessarry.

More
19 Sep 2008 13:35 #11580 by ubarose
At least he won't show up here like everyone else does when they get suspended from BGG. None of the text color or sizing formatting works in the forum.

More
19 Sep 2008 13:43 #11582 by Ken B.
He has an account but he hasn't showed up here in awhile.

If he did, I imagine it would be like the gag where the actor is playing a brutal savage, and as soon as the Director says, "CUT!" he begins talking in a refined British accent.

"RURARRARGHH! I KILL YOU ALL!"

"And....cut!"

"Whew! Oh dear...I say, old bean, I'd fancy a sifter and a shag right about now. Perhaps after Masterpiece Theatre we can visit the local pubs to take in their colour."

More
19 Sep 2008 13:47 #11583 by ChristopherMD
I'm glad I don't participate in that "community". I don't need motherators telling me to behave or they'll send me to my room. Michael Barnes was grounded for life because he wanted to play dodgeball during naptime. Fuck that!

More
19 Sep 2008 13:51 #11586 by daveroswell
ubarose wrote:

At least he won't show up here like everyone else does when they get suspended from BGG. None of the text color or sizing formatting works in the forum.

Actually, I'm surprised Robert "GROGnads" Wesley doesn't post here. It seems this site caters to his gaming tastes more than BGG, although I think GROGnads relishes the title of "BGG chat GOD".

And Ken B....

:lol:

More
19 Sep 2008 14:00 #11588 by mikelawson
One point made in that discussion is undeniable: BGG has loads of data that are probably in violation of copyright laws in one form or another. If someone were really asinine about it, they could retain a lawyer and then the real fun on BGG would begin.

--Mike L.

More
19 Sep 2008 14:08 #11591 by Gary Sax
The question is, who would be sued? 10,000 individual users or BGG? I don't remember what the current status of the laws are now.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds