October 09, 2023
2558 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2757 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Deadwood

More
25 Aug 2008 22:33 #10517 by Mr Skeletor
Deadwood was created by Mr Skeletor
The 'delux' poker sex for Deadwood is $80 at the local store - should I pick it up?
I hear good things but the fact the series was never given a conclusion is a big turn off for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2008 23:04 - 25 Aug 2008 23:05 #10521 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re:Deadwood
This is a good series. But not a great series. It's incredibly quotable and memorable but as a television series with a plot it isn't so good. I watched it religiously and enjoyed it.

My big problem with the show is that there is basically no payoff in any episode of Deadwood. Well, that's an exaggeration but it's close to true in my opinion. I suppose the first season has a little bit of payoff, but not much. It's like being serviced by a really beautiful woman but never being allowed to get off--every episode feels like it's building something up which is awesome but then you are continually disappointed when it never really ends up paying off.

It's a move that I know many people feel is really arty. I thought it worked in No Country for Old Men. But in a 3 season television series I really want to feel some payoff and sense of progress and there wasn't much of it in Deadwood. Just a ton of awesome style and dialog.
Last edit: 25 Aug 2008 23:05 by Gary Sax.

More
25 Aug 2008 23:12 #10524 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Re:Deadwood
Deadwood is worth watching (maybe not buying) for the acting alone. Ian McShane, Powers Boothe, and Brad Dourif are all especially awesome in it.

More
25 Aug 2008 23:49 #10525 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:Deadwood
I should add I fucking love, LOVE Rome.

More
26 Aug 2008 08:56 #10537 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re:Deadwood
Mmmm... "'delux' poker sex"

More
26 Aug 2008 09:35 #10542 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re:Deadwood
Deadwood is an excellent show. The main plot is resolved at the end of the third season. They don't wrap up every character arc, but my friends and I were satisfied. Definitely worth checking out if you have an interest.

More
26 Aug 2008 11:11 #10552 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Re:Deadwood
I saw mention of talk about a 2hr TV movie being made to wrap it up properly after the way they were forced to shut it down - but the likelihood in getting enough of the main characters available at the same time, and someone to definitely say they'll bankroll it will be extremely challenging.

That show had me - it was an escape and believable ... and an effort to watch as it was midweek 11pm over here (and us oldsters need our sleep) !

More
26 Aug 2008 13:07 #10564 by Notahandle
Replied by Notahandle on topic Re:Deadwood
Ska_baron wrote:
Mmmm... "'delux' poker sex"
Frank thinks about sex every seven picoseconds!

More
26 Aug 2008 14:38 #10572 by Chapel
Replied by Chapel on topic Re:Deadwood
I loved Rome big time as well. Deadwood is about as good as they get, raw, gritty, doesn't pull any punches. I was saddened that they left it hanging without finishing it up, but well worth the watch. Another good one to see is "Dexter".

San fransisco Cocksucker.

More
26 Aug 2008 16:03 #10579 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:Deadwood
Mr Skeletor wrote:

The 'delux' poker sex for Deadwood is $80 at the local store - should I pick it up?
I hear good things but the fact the series was never given a conclusion is a big turn off for me.

Best TV show ever made.

The lack of a conclusion isn't as big a deal as you may think. The story wasn't building to a specific, climactic end point that would have put everything else in context. And, as others have said, the main plot thread gets resolved at the end of season three.

The dialogue is great. The history is fascinating. There's some great acting, deep themes, and remarkable characters. If you need the good guys to win an uplifting moral victory at the end of each episode (or at the end of the whole series), though, you'll be disappointed. The finest westerns (especially Deadwood and Shane) are about the origins of contemporary American society and the uneasy moral compromises that were necessary to the creation of what we have today. In Deadwood, the tavern owner who controls the local opium trade is as crucial to the health of the community as the ferociously moral sheriff. The resulting tension between these two men -- and the eventual, reluctant acceptance by each of them that the other is necessary -- is riveting.

More
27 Aug 2008 22:57 #10657 by TheDukester
Replied by TheDukester on topic Re:Deadwood
Well said. A challenging, but extremely rewarding, show.

More
28 Aug 2008 05:52 #10666 by Sumo
Replied by Sumo on topic Re:Deadwood
Pretty much my favourite show ever. Excellent.

Haven't seen The Wire yet though.

More
28 Aug 2008 07:39 #10671 by Mr Skeletor
Bah, I almost convinced myself I didn't want it after reading some lukewarm reviews.
Guess I'll grab it tomorrow, hope the poker chips aren't those shitty plastic ones.

Thanks for the Dexter recommendation Mike, I have seen and enjoyed it.

More
28 Aug 2008 11:56 #10691 by Juniper
Replied by Juniper on topic Re:Deadwood
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Bah, I almost convinced myself I didn't want it after reading some lukewarm reviews.
Guess I'll grab it tomorrow, hope the poker chips aren't those shitty plastic ones.

Thanks for the Dexter recommendation Mike, I have seen and enjoyed it.

I wasn't sure what you meant by "Deadwood poker set," so I Googled it. It appears to have been released in Australia only. If you can get all three seasons for 80 AUD, and you can score a free poker set along with it, you're getting a pretty good deal. In Canada, you'd expect to pay about 150 CDN for the three seasons, and you don't get the poker chips. I'm embarrassed to say that I paid even more than that, because I'm a lousy shopper.

1 CDN is equivalent to about 1.1 AUD.

More
28 Aug 2008 19:31 #10707 by Mr Skeletor
I think it was normally in the $200 range, but everywhere is flogging it off for $85 to clear out stock obviously.

www.ezydvd.com.au/item.zml/794600

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds