October 09, 2023
2598 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2793 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Trashfest 2009 April 30 - May 3, 2009

More
15 Nov 2008 03:30 - 23 Nov 2008 14:16 #13982 by KingPut
Here's the official info on GCOM's game days. April 30 - May 3rd in Maryland:
http://gamedays.gamesclubofmd.org/

Trashfest will go underground in 2009. There will be no demos or anything official unless somebody wants to set up a formal demo. I'm just too damn lazy to formally organize anything this year. We'll have general times and days for the bigger games like Ti3, Arkham Horror and StarCraft, Conan, BSG, Prophesy, Warrior Knights, Doom, etc. so we don't just spend the whole time in a drunken stupor playing Dominion. This level of planning worked great at Euroquest this year.

I've booked one of the 4 suites at the Days Hotel for Game Day's 2009. We'll set up the suite with 2 large game tables. The suite has a large refrigerator, microwave oven, bathroom and room for 8 or 9 gamers.

With me and 3 other guys staying in the suite the cost will only be $30.00 / night. Anyone else can use the suite to play games and get away from the Euro crowd if you donate some beer, soda, whiskey or food. We can also set up an Ipod player to play some tunes in the room. If anyone wants to use the room to get hot and heavy with a Euro babe the cost will be $100.00 per hour.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2008 14:16 by KingPut.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2009 09:40 #18546 by Stephen Avery
Heya I'm trying to work out the logistics t see if I can come game relatively cheaply.

Airtran has just listed flights from ATL to Baltimore for $64 one way good through May 30. After taxes and fees that comes out to about $180 which is doable. I haven't checked on blackout dates.

How far is the hotel and deos it have a shuttle? I snore like a freight train running over a chainsaw- should I plan on getting my own room? I'm confused about the setup- you have 4 sepreate suites for gaming just AT games, but it is during the GAMEDAYS event
which is at the same hotel?

If I had to choose between this and WBC, which is the better event? (and by better I mean more raucous and more fun?)
Also I'm going to Origins this year. Are you guys doing that one?

Steve"Looking4Trouble"Avery

More
27 Jan 2009 10:10 #18548 by Sagrilarus
I believe Light Rail can take you from BWI to Timonium, so you may not need to rent a car or get a cab. A few buckazoids to make the trip.

Sag.

More
27 Jan 2009 10:17 - 27 Jan 2009 10:18 #18551 by ubarose
Stephen Avery wrote:

I'm confused about the setup- you have 4 sepreate suites for gaming just AT games, but it is during the GAMEDAYS event
which is at the same hotel?

Steve"Looking4Trouble"Avery

No. He means that instead of booking a regular hotel room, KingPut and a couple of guys are going to book a suite, so that we will have extra playing space, in addition to the con space. Having private space for playing long, complex games is awesome. The noise level in open gaming spaces often makes it near impossible to play games that require any kind of verbal communication. I lost my voice playing Arkham at WBC from trying to shout over all the noise.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2009 10:18 by ubarose.

More
27 Jan 2009 11:09 #18557 by Stephen Avery
I checked the schedule. It looks like the light rail takes an hour to run from BWI to Timonium and leaves every half hour. It costs $1.60 one way.

Apparently the hotel is a couple of blocks from the stop.
So far its looking good.

Does anyone want to share a room with a chainsaw snoring, hard drinking, womenizing, tank top wearing Racer knights playing sob?

Steve"CSHDWRKPTTW-SoB"Avery

More
27 Jan 2009 11:39 #18560 by Gary Sax
Sounds like fun.

More
03 Feb 2009 07:23 #19594 by KingPut
WBC - Pros: Larger (1000+ people), Longer (1 week long), Tournaments (for all kinds of games), scheduled games and events (so if you really want to play circus maximums you can go to tournament), more war gamers, Malloc and company will be there all week, more vendors, it summer time so there's a chance there will be other people in tank tops

Cons: It's large so sometimes you feel like can't find your gang, with tournaments everyone is zigging and zagging, Uba isn't planning on going this year, Lancaster isn't the easiest place to get to, the open gaming area smells, the hotel is crap, its large so I don't know all the wankers and fun murders to avoid

Maryland Game Days / Trashfest: Pros: Smaller (200 - 300 people), probably closer to the Atlanta Game Days format, its much easier staying with your group of guys and just playing games, Uba is planning on going, Malloc usually goes for at least 1 day (Ti3 day), I know all the wankers and fun murders in the area to avoid, the hotel has just been renovated so the rooms are nice

Cons: Only 2-3 vendors (one games store, Z-man, somebody else), just a small silent auction, 3 1/2 days of gaming (which is more than enough for me)

My person favorite is Game Days / Trashfest vs. WBC, Malloc likes WBC better.

More
03 Feb 2009 08:32 #19597 by ozjesting
This is like the perfect reason to get back to MD and see the relatives! Here is to big winnings and cheap flights from Aus by May! ;)

More
03 Feb 2009 08:38 #19599 by southernman
BIG winnings required in my case ..... especially since we got told yesterday that our jobs may be gone by September - life sucks a lot these days !

More
03 Feb 2009 09:52 #19616 by Stephen Avery
Ouch! sorry Southernman. I'd tell ya to come stateside but we're suffering massive unemployment too. They haven't cut art ed yet though. I'll give ya the guest room but you have to bring all your coolest games.

As for gamefest I think I'm looking at around $500. I am hedging to see what other cuts our school system is going to make.

$150 flight
$120-$240 for room (If I can glom onto a room with other peeps.)
$100-$150 food and incidentals (if you consider liquor and games incidental.)

I'd love to come hang with you, Uba and Malloc. Any other Aters going?

Steve"GreatEscapist"Avery

More
03 Feb 2009 10:03 #19620 by southernman
Stephen Avery wrote:

Ouch! sorry Southernman. I'd tell ya to come stateside but we're suffering massive unemployment too. They haven't cut art ed yet though.

Yeah - I'm not the first and I won't be the last in the next 18months - those Investment Banks and oil speculators have a lot to answer for.

Stephen Avery wrote:

I'll give ya the guest room but you have to bring all your coolest games.

Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit
Dune
Space Crusade
Fortress America
Betrayal at House on the Hill
BSG
Risk: Star Wars Original Trilogy

That would about fill my two suitcase allowance - but Hey, if I win the lottery I'll pay people to come over with extra cases filled with more games.

More
03 Feb 2009 10:16 #19622 by Ska_baron
Stephen Avery wrote:

Any other Aters going?

I'm hoping to make the treck north and may be interested in some room sharing - but of course I dont know just yet when I'll be there. Stay tuned!

More
04 Feb 2009 04:30 #19852 by KingPut
Stephen Avery wrote:

As for gamefest I think I'm looking at around $500. I am hedging to see what other cuts our school system is going to make.
$150 flight
$120-$240 for room (If I can glom onto a room with other peeps.)
$100-$150 food and incidentals (if you consider liquor and games incidental.)

Great deal on the flight. I'm hoping for the same type of deal if I come down to Atlanta next year. Let me know your flight info we might be able to hook you up with a ride to and / or from the airport to save you some time and hassle.

We should be able to hook you with roommate. What's your preference? blond, brunet, redhead or do you want to make some gigolo money on the side with a blue hair?

Your food cost sound about right. They serve a crappy free breakfast in the hotel but I always take advantage of anything free. Cereal and coffee works well for me if I wake up in time. GCOM provides free sodas, water and snacks. There's a Chilies next door you can pick up a lot of food for about $8.00 at Chilies. One night we'll all pitch in for pizza $5.00 and I'll probably pick up some sandwich stuff for some lunches. So your total food cost is about $40 that'll leave about $100 for booze and boobs.

Steve you're required to bring one game that you'll have to teach us. Maybe you can bring the famous Circus Maximus.

More
04 Feb 2009 09:04 #19870 by Ken B.
Kingput, if you come to Atlanta next year you need to attend during Gamesfest. My brother and I are going to make that a yearly tradition from now on, a chance to hook up with everybody.

It was the crew more than the venue, but that's the most fun I've had playing games in quite some time.

I wish I could come to Trashfest, but just no way I can swing it.

More
04 Feb 2009 10:43 #19885 by Stephen Avery
Actually, We can do it anytime. Just keep your eye on cheap flights and we'll make it happen.

With a little advance notice, we'll schedule a three -four day game event with 10-12 peeps. We could camp out at Richard Launius' house or skip around so you could see the Baden Catacombs and Frank's House of Horror. Its just a matter of finding cheap airfair and picking a date.

To save on room and board I can put up someone in the spare bedroom. You get the big fluffy pink bed with a million stuffed animals. :D

Steve"LetsGame!"Avery

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds