October 09, 2023
2546 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2741 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
24 Jul 2018 15:10 #278317 by Josh Look

Colorcrayons wrote:

Schweig! wrote: What are some of the can't-miss games of the last 4 years?

In regards to gary's comment above about GW, if you like ameritrash, you NEED a copy of Gorechosen. It's back to their roots but in a good way. They haven't produced a better game since Space Hulk.

I don’t want to step on any toes or anything, but Shadespire is by far the superior GW game. Gorechosen wore out its welcome in all of 3 plays for me, while Shadespire has me wondering if they’ve actually outdone my beloved Space Hulk.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jul 2018 17:18 #278323 by Colorcrayons

Josh Look wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote:

In regards to gary's comment above about GW, if you like ameritrash, you NEED a copy of Gorechosen. It's back to their roots but in a good way. They haven't produced a better game since Space Hulk.

I don’t want to step on any toes or anything, but Shadespire is by far the superior GW game. Gorechosen wore out its welcome in all of 3 plays for me, while Shadespire has me wondering if they’ve actually outdone my beloved Space Hulk.

It's not stepping on my toes.
That's why I qualified the statement about being a fan of trash.

If you're more if a euro lover, which he seems to be judging by the list of games he talked about, I'd agree that shadespire would likely be a better fit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
24 Jul 2018 19:54 #278329 by trif
Played John Company last night

Jesus.

We'd been trying to set this up at my local gaming group for a month or so and finally got four players together.

We eventually came to grip with the rules (the event phase with provinces flipping in and out of revolt and domination seemed to be the hardest thing to parse) but it was pointed out on the fifth turn that one of the players hadn't had a chance to do anything in a couple of turns and was basically sitting there seething. We were basically letting the game play itself in order to keep the East India Company going - which was not the point at all. We were playing it as a semi co-op when it's really a negotiation game. The problem was, the procedural mechanics were getting in the way of the requirement to have some fairly free flowing negotiation happening.

Half of us want to play it again (including me), the other half want to burn it with fire.

I was worried that the opportunity to score was completely random when I should have realised we were playing a completely different game to the game that was intended.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
24 Jul 2018 20:02 #278330 by Michael Barnes
I’m over games that go out of their way to challenge me to get to the fun parts.

More
24 Jul 2018 22:30 #278336 by Sagrilarus
You should try out An Infamous Traffic instead. Simpler game on a similar theme, plenty of entanglements.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
24 Jul 2018 23:02 #278338 by Gary Sax
Same designer. ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
24 Jul 2018 23:53 #278340 by trif

Sagrilarus wrote: You should try out An Infamous Traffic instead. Simpler game on a similar theme, plenty of entanglements.

We have played it, and liked it.

More
25 Jul 2018 01:13 #278341 by Schweig!

Colorcrayons wrote:

Josh Look wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote:

It's not stepping on my toes.
That's why I qualified the statement about being a fan of trash.

If you're more if a euro lover, which he seems to be judging by the list of games he talked about, I'd agree that shadespire would likely be a better fit.

I'm a wargamer first, AT second, and Euro distant third. The group I gamed with primarily plays eurogames though.

More
25 Jul 2018 08:43 #278343 by charlest
Man, I adore John Company. It's a heavy game and has plenty of procedures, but the way it entangles players in a beauracratic struggle and challenges you to manipulate those many gears interlocking with the procedures is magnificent. It's unlike anything else I've ever played and each of my plays thus far have been completely engrossing.

That weight behind everything and sense of momentum does a wonderful job of conveying that feeling that you're just a cog, trying to scale the gears and levers and sit in that comfortable chair. At least for a moment, because you're going to burn out bright and fast and retire, hopefully scoring some VP at your single shot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, Cranberries, Msample

More
25 Jul 2018 09:17 #278346 by the_jake_1973
Played some C&C: Ancients on Vassal last night with a rando in the room. I was beaten, but it was only a matter of a few die rolls either way. I am still getting used to the pacing and making sure units stay in support.

I'm not sure why there seems to be a pervading opinion that this iteration is the best of the series. I still like Nappy more because I like the feel of the different countries.

It was still fun and we will be playing again.

More
25 Jul 2018 11:05 #278352 by edulis
After months of attempting to set-up a meet-up, a friend and I got to try out his copy of Star Wars: Rebellion with the Rise of the Empire expansion. It was my first time playing, he had played a few solo games to learn the rules.

All the pieces were nicely painted and the game looked fantastic. I took the Empire and went with the Axis and Allies strategy of claiming systems that produced good resources while trying to limit his income. I neglected the special projects deck (due to not understanding how important it was) and focused my leaders on moving fleets rather than missions. I ended up with a lot of little men on the board, but no clue where the base was hidden.

He hit missions hard, luckily his dice rolls were awful and when I opposed he failed. As I figured out the rules a bit I started trying to capture leaders with Vader and after four failed attempts- Chewie kept showing up and stopping me - I captured Mon Monthma and fed her to the Sarlac. High point of the game.

I found the rebel base at Mon Calmari with 2 turns to go, but failed to capture it, as I had not developed the ability to shot my death star laser. Again I did not realize how important the special project deck was.

Overall I really enjoyed the game. I know there has been discussion on the combat not being great, but I liked it. It reminded me of War of the Ring. Actually much of the game reminded me of War of the Ring.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Gary Sax, Msample, Black Barney

More
25 Jul 2018 11:11 #278354 by charlest
I almost always ignore special projects. In our games, the Rebel base tends to be defended with a small/medium force as the player doesn't want to get punished by a card that allows for more probe deck draws if your base is packed with forces. In our games with Empire victory, they find the base with a turn or two to go and launch an attack with a Star Destroyer or two and a decent ground force.

Blowing up the planet with the Death Star laser is certainly viable, but I find that more work than it's worth (positioning the Death Star and everything).
The following user(s) said Thank You: edulis

More
25 Jul 2018 11:34 #278356 by SuperflyPete
I still haven’t played it, probably never will, and this saddens me
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
25 Jul 2018 12:15 #278359 by Shellhead

Gary Sax wrote: You might be a bit shocked, a portion of this forum has gone completely bonkers for Games Workshop minis games. To be fair, Games Workshop is making much better, less cynical games now too.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, SuperflyPete, charlest

More
25 Jul 2018 17:02 #278373 by Msample

edulis wrote: After months of attempting to set-up a meet-up, a friend and I got to try out his copy of Star Wars: Rebellion with the Rise of the Empire expansion. It was my first time playing, he had played a few solo games to learn the rules.

All the pieces were nicely painted and the game looked fantastic. I took the Empire and went with the Axis and Allies strategy of claiming systems that produced good resources while trying to limit his income. I neglected the special projects deck (due to not understanding how important it was) and focused my leaders on moving fleets rather than missions. I ended up with a lot of little men on the board, but no clue where the base was hidden.

He hit missions hard, luckily his dice rolls were awful and when I opposed he failed. As I figured out the rules a bit I started trying to capture leaders with Vader and after four failed attempts- Chewie kept showing up and stopping me - I captured Mon Monthma and fed her to the Sarlac. High point of the game.

I found the rebel base at Mon Calmari with 2 turns to go, but failed to capture it, as I had not developed the ability to shot my death star laser. Again I did not realize how important the special project deck was.

Overall I really enjoyed the game. I know there has been discussion on the combat not being great, but I liked it. It reminded me of War of the Ring. Actually much of the game reminded me of War of the Ring.

The expansion greatly reduces the time to resolve Combat; the extra events are just a bonus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.032 seconds