October 09, 2023
2553 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2752 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What COMICS have you been reading? ARCHIVE

More
29 Sep 2010 09:22 #75343 by Josh Look
Shellhead wrote:

I got my girlfriend started on comics with Y the Last Man. I figured after one issue, she would either like it or hate it. I was wrong. She loved it. She stayed up all night reading the first 56 issues and then was very annoyed to learn that the last four issues weren't out yet. Overall, she enjoyed it, though she was disappointed by the fate of her favorite character.

My wife volunteered to read Watchmen. I didn't have to recommend it or anything. She also likes Fables.
The topic has been locked.
More
29 Sep 2010 11:54 #75377 by Almalik
I've actually been enjoying the Starman Omnibus collections (the first two, about to read the third), I hadn't really heard about it (wasn't reading comics in the 90's, and never really read much DC).

Read Marvel's Wizard of Oz at bedtime with my son, and it was a big hit with both of us.

The 2 Planetary absolutes were awesome (Ellis is hit and miss with me), glad they reprinted the first volume.

About to read the second Wasteland apocalyptic edition.
More
29 Sep 2010 12:08 #75388 by Shellhead
Josh Look wrote:

My wife volunteered to read Watchmen. I didn't have to recommend it or anything. She also likes Fables.

My girlfriend volunteered to read Watchmen, but she just couldn't get into the first issue. Although I was a big fan of Elementals, I still haven't gotten around to trying Fables. Now that I'm not buying single issues, I will start catching up trades like that.
More
29 Sep 2010 15:59 #75423 by MattFantastic
Fables is awesome.

I fell out of reading Planetary but the first 25 or so issues were amazing. I think someone (on here even maybe) told me it ends not long after that so I should really bust that out.
More
29 Sep 2010 17:11 #75435 by Shellhead
MattLoter wrote:

Fables is awesome.

I fell out of reading Planetary but the first 25 or so issues were amazing. I think someone (on here even maybe) told me it ends not long after that so I should really bust that out.

Issue 27 is the final issue. Both #26 and #27 are great issues. Also, make sure that you read the Planetary/Batman: Night on Earth one-shot, it's surprisingly great. The Planetary/Authority one-shot is optional reading, and the Planetary/JLA one-shot is actually bad, but at least it's just an Elseworlds story.
More
29 Sep 2010 22:05 #75457 by Stan Leer
I tried to read Fables and just didn't enjoy it. I don't even remember the trade I picked up but there were aspects of it that still felt too cutesy to me. I enjoyed the first story which was kinda a "real Snow White" background story of revenge. The plot felt too transparent. You realize what is going on right away.

Maybe I need to give it another chance.
More
29 Sep 2010 23:25 #75458 by Dr. Mabuse
Stan Leer wrote:

I tried to read Fables and just didn't enjoy it. I don't even remember the trade I picked up but there were aspects of it that still felt too cutesy to me. I enjoyed the first story which was kinda a "real Snow White" background story of revenge. The plot felt too transparent. You realize what is going on right away.

Maybe I need to give it another chance.

I gave it a couple of goes as well and it never took with me.
More
30 Sep 2010 00:11 #75460 by Ancient_of_MuMu
Fables felt like old ground being repeated trodden on to me. If it came out in the late 80's, early 90's I would have been all over it, but it got a big 'meh' from me.
More
03 Oct 2010 20:58 - 03 Oct 2010 21:06 #75812 by metalface13
I finished reading the Scott Pilgrim books today. It was an epic tale of epic epicness to be sure. I enjoyed the books as they really flesh out the stories with Kim, Envy Adams, some of the exes, etc. I still also really enjoyed the movie as the video game and music references are represented better in the medium of film.

I guess the pressure is going to be on fro Bryan Lee O'Malley to come up with some equally as great for his next project.
Last edit: 03 Oct 2010 21:06 by metalface13.
More
03 Oct 2010 22:00 #75815 by The Expanding Man
Almost finished The Ballad of Halo Jones.

It is one of Alan Moore's better works. Recommended.
More
04 Oct 2010 14:10 #75864 by Shellhead
7 Brothers, by Garth Ennis and John Woo. That's right, John Woo. Teaming these two up was brilliant and bizarre, resulting in a truckload of action and profanity in just five issues. I want the movie version, but it's been four years since 7 Brothers was published, so probably no movie will be coming.
More
05 Oct 2010 09:51 #75936 by Jason Lutes
I assigned the 7-volume Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind My students this semester, and they're starting to give presentations on it next week. I hadn't read it in a couple of years and really enjoyed going back to it. All of Miyazaki's usual themes are present, and while it lacks the color and motion of his films, it has an epic depth and richness that those films don't touch, and that no other comic book has managed to approach. I'm interested to hear my students' take on it.

I also recently noticed that Starstruck, my favorite sci-fi comic, is being "remastered" and put back into print. Think Thomas Pynchon meets L. Frank Baum in space. Any other Starstruck fans here? Has anyone here checked out the new editions?
More
05 Oct 2010 13:02 - 05 Oct 2010 13:02 #75948 by hotseatgames
I just finished (for the 3rd time over the years) The Punisher: Born. It's a very cool origin story, and about as mature as comics get, at least in terms of content.
Last edit: 05 Oct 2010 13:02 by hotseatgames.
More
05 Oct 2010 14:18 #75964 by Chapel
Just finished barreling through The Dark Tower: Battle for Jericho Hill. Was not bad, but the pacing was excruciatingly slow. I am looking forward to starting to read The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger next.

Also am starting to gather up my AD2000 reading, am getting an itch for some Judge Dredd.
More
19 Oct 2010 08:25 #77030 by Josh Look
I've been away from superhero comics for quite sometime now. My two main superhero reads have failed to excite me at every turn, mainly since Bruce Wayne isn't Batman and every Green Lantern arc is a company-wide crossover. Sort of at random I picked up a couple of Marvel books that seemed promising enough and have some good buzz going on around them.

Got the first two issues of the new Wolverine run. First book was sort of flat, but the second book had some cool stuff going on. Logan's soul is in hell, where he's fighting pretty much everyone he's ever put there, so fans of dismemberment are in for a treat. Meanwhile his body is still on Earth, being controlled by who knows what, killing everyone who's important to him now. So imagine that when this is over, he's gonna be pissed.

Got the first issue of Matt Fraction's run on Thor (#615). Really dug this one. Sort of slow going on plot, but the writing was enjoyable. I really like what Fraction has done with Iron Man, another character that seems sort of difficult to write (like Thor), so I'm pretty excited to see what he does.

Finally, I got the first volume of Irredeemable. HOT DAMN. I'm one the last chapter and I almost don't want to finish it. I know that I'm going to want to rush out and get the next one when I do, and I really can't afford that right now.
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds